Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Favorite Pop-punk band
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.21.2007, 12:42 AM   #61
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
No, that's the Lost Patrol. Which is just Dennis with guest appearances. I'm talking about the Lost Patrol Band. Which is 70s punk more leaning towards 70s pop punk.

Old 02.21.2007, 12:43 AM   #62
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
No, that's the Lost Patrol. Which is just Dennis with guest appearances. I'm talking about the Lost Patrol Band. Which is 70s punk more leaning towards 70s pop punk.

OOOOOHHHHHHH. Well that clarified a lot. They sound waayy different from Lost Patrol, and it sounds great. Thanks very much!
Old 02.21.2007, 12:49 AM   #63
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
That's ok.

Listening to Doesn't Matter right now. Cool song.

everybody says that I'll go nowhere
but maybe I don't care
everybody says that I'm unaware
but it doesn't matter I swear
'cause everybody says alot of dumb shit down here
Old 02.22.2007, 10:48 PM   #64
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
GG Allin & the Jabbers...maybe not quite philosophically untouchable, but that "Banned in Boston" is a GREAT album!!!

My favorite pop-punk band of all time is Head. Many bands have been called Head, but this is the one from Seattle. They had two 12"ers in the 90's a couple 7"ers before pretty much disappearing...but then they came back in December 2006 with a new album which is just about as awesome as the first. They are the only band I know which actually succeed in "out-Ramonesing" the Ramones. They got it down to a science, playing the bassline an octave up during the chorus. Plus, they keep it way dumb, yet sometimes surprisingly clever...like, singing songs about Pharoah Sanders and shit??? "Street Level Assault" was the 12" that rates as the best, but the new "No Hugging, No Learning" is great, too. "The Monkeys" has a lot of great songs, too, but should not be your first Head record.

Their music no doubt influenced The Spits, who surely should rate mention here. Delightfully moronic shit!

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Meanies. They were an Aussie band through the 90's that made some dorky pop-punk that occasionally had a smack of Nirvana and a little thrash in there. They had a knack for over-producing their sound to such a ridiculous level that the extreme compression made the whole band sound like one instrument, the drums, the bass, the guitar, and all the vocal harmonies even.

Another fave on the edge of being pop-punk for me was Scratch Bongowax. They made some 7"ers and maybe a couple of albums (if you count Japan-only singles and comp track collections as an album (I DO!)). Their songs were stupid, too, but that concealed a clever sarcasm. "Because I Hate You" is so great!

Another quick flash in the 90's was a band called the Tito O'Tito band. They had two guitars playing really messy, and a bit of a ramshackle hardcore edge, but the key features up front were the egomaniacal vocals of Tito and the barely "Mary Had a Little Lamb"-level one-string playing of what I suppose you might call the "lead guitarist."

Pre-Erase Errata was a band I think Ellie would want you to forget, but I liked them a lot. They were called XXY, and "Wiener Boy" was a most excellent slice of dorkness.

There's almost a pop-punk edge to many Mika Miko songs, and they are one of the best and crucial bands in punk rock today, and one of the leading lights in inspiring new bands, I think. Everytime I see them, I expect some unusually high percentage of the young girls in the audience to immediately make a plan to start their own bands. It's a more palpable sense than I ever got from any band with strong female presence since Bikini Kill....and that includes Sleater Kinney.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2007, 10:52 PM   #65
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Oh yeah...a little more...

How could I forget Sewer Trout?!?!?

"Holiday in Rumania"...one of thee best songs ever!!! "President of the Anarchists Club" is also gonna have you laughing for sure. One 7" and then a 10"...all collected onto a CD some years back.

Sacramento had a band called Nar which also kicked ass. Snappy songs that you just wanted to singalong to for days. Members went onto the Bananas and FM Knives and some other bands. Find the "Holiday Routine" 7-inch for the best slice of Nar. The split LP of the Lizards and Nar is also among the crowning Sacto punk moments.

Can't leave out the first Queers 7"....don't hold their last couple of decades worth of mediocrity against their early greatness.

I might just hafta do a "pop-punk" AFS show soon!
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2007, 01:58 PM   #66
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to add Yaphet Kotto to my list. Great band.
Old 04.06.2007, 10:50 PM   #67
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Pop-punk blows.
Old 04.06.2007, 11:44 PM   #68
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J

Love them. The (International) Noise Conspiracy are rad too.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2007, 11:55 PM   #69
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
Love them. The (International) Noise Conspiracy are rad too.

Nice, I'm wearing an (International) Noise Conspiracy shirt right now!
Old 04.07.2007, 12:00 AM   #70
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
WHOA! Awesome! A friend of mine was supposed to see them, but his friend skipped out on the ride, or something like that....
Other than Lyxen's bands... I can't think of many pop-punk bands I dig, save for like.. Ramones and the CLash and shit, if they even count... and a local band (Who are pretty well known in some areas) Statues.

...I'm not here, though. BYE!

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2007, 01:18 AM   #71
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
Nice, I'm wearing an (International) Noise Conspiracy shirt right now!

I'm wearing an Armed Love zip-up hoody right now too. Coincidence.

I didn't mention T(I)NC as they aren't pop punk but you guys know that.
Old 04.13.2007, 07:20 AM   #72
sarramkrop

Probably Shonen Knife. So many good tunes.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth