Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.16.2011, 02:09 PM   #2741
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
It recently struck me that I haven't read through a decent-sized book in an embarrassingly long time. So, I headed down to my used book shop and picked up some new reads...

Friend by Diana Henstell - This is the book that Wes Craven's extremely underrated film, Deadly Friend, was based off of. I loved the movie, although most seem to hate it, and figured that I just might adore the source material even more. What a gem of a find.

The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule - She's a big name in the true crime genre, which I'm still pretty new to, so I thought I'd check out some of her work. Chose this over another book I was looking at based on Ted Bundy, due to the author's status and her insider perspective on this particular case.

The Embrace by Aphrodite Jones - A true vampire story... need I say more?

I'll probably read them in this order, actually.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2011, 04:58 PM   #2742
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule - She's a big name in the true crime genre, which I'm still pretty new to, so I thought I'd check out some of her work. Chose this over another book I was looking at based on Ted Bundy, due to the author's status and her insider perspective on this particular case.

Classic!

Well, I just bought a Kindle and it's amazing. I never thought I'd buy one, but being able to customize the text size and line spacing of what you are reading is great! You can really fly through what you are reading.

I downloaded one of those torrents that has 25 gigs/over 10,000 books e-books....pure insanity. A lot of it is garbage like James Patterson and Nora Roberts, so I'm SLOWLY going through all the folders and deleting shit.

Anyway, the main reason I bought it is to go back and read Infinite Jest. Having an instant dictionary and being able to click on the hundreds of endnotes makes reading it again that much better! Really great!

Old 03.17.2011, 06:09 PM   #2743
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a true crime buff and I freaked when I finally found a used paperback of
"The Stranger Beside Me" at a bookstore in Seattle a year and a half ago.
It's a book you read and just can't forget.
Old 03.20.2011, 02:07 AM   #2744
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Just read Patrick Süskind Parfyme and the Pigeon and Marko Tapio Enkeli lensi ohi (in english Angel flew over). Now I started Dostoyevsky the Brothers Karamazov. It´s almost twenty years since I read it last time.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2011, 11:56 PM   #2745
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Actually I found "the stranger beside me" a bit boringer in terms of true crime. What was it (I'm racking my tattered memory), the crimes + story are compelling but theres still something so unattached about the whole thing, so unintimate, and this is about a book where the woman had actually worked with Bundy. Hm.

What True Crime do I like? Well, "The Perfect Victim" is probably one of my favorite books of all time, of all kinds. It gets into the heads of everyone involved so well, and the topic is fascinating itself. The descriptions of sensory deprivation where the girl had to live without light and barely any sound either with her head trapped in a box or living in one are suck in my mind. And the mind control he was able to put on her...she went out and got a job, eventually!!! And would then return home and go back to her box!!! Oh god, mind control.

Umm what else...all the books about karla homolka and paul bernardo are pretty awesome.

OH. "the night stalker" is fucking amazing. I love that one. It wants to access the dark carnal themes of humanity itself, and in this person. I think that's partly what's missing from "stranger". It's spoken from this complete outsider voice, kinda cold.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2011, 12:00 AM   #2746
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Have you (those reading and interested in true crime) ever read "Exquisite Corpse" by poppy z brite? Its entirely fiction but the character is picked up obviously from the corpse of jeffrey dahmer. Poppy's writing in it is her usual lush, colourful and impeccably dark and descriptive prose but set using him and cannibalism as a setup. It's really, truly great. If you're not hooked by the time you get to the boy in the bathtub, you wont get there !
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.21.2011, 01:49 AM   #2747
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
and for fun:

it's free on the kindle reader (you don't need an actual kindle). free on project gutenberg too but the kindle reader looks way better.

Ha, I just finished up "Drood", a fictional account of the friendship/rivalry between Wilkie Collins and Charles Dickens. "The Moonstone" is mentioned throughout the novel.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2011, 09:17 AM   #2748
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses

Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.22.2011, 10:32 AM   #2749
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
SteveOK! Never read that one!! Love asimov's non fiction stuff

Been reading The Discovery of Time, a book about the human history of timekeeping
Old 03.25.2011, 01:53 AM   #2750
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses

Although not covering his complete output this is a well researched read.
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2011, 03:40 AM   #2751
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Damn, sounds like I need to hurry and finish Friend so I can dig into Stranger Beside Me. A lot of you quoted that part of the post haha.

But so far Diana Henstell's Friend is really good. Not sure if noisereductions reads this thread at all, but I know he's a big Deadly Friend fan. I'm surprised by just how different the novel is from the film. Definitely a cool read so far.

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2011, 03:06 AM   #2752
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses
Roland Topor - The Tenant (not this edition tho'.)
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2011, 08:32 AM   #2753
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses

Facebook

Old 04.13.2011, 12:30 PM   #2754
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
''The Artist and the Mathematician: The Story of Nicolas Bourbaki, the Genius Mathematician Who Never Existed'' by Amir D. Aczel.

Also started to re-read ''The Sheltering Sky'' by Paul Bowles
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2011, 03:13 PM   #2755
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

I just finished this. I have never read a Perez-Reverte novel that I couldn't put down from start to finish! Always the perfect blend of pious and religious imagery/allusions and yet also gritty gangster shit (I guess its my LA upbringing being surrounded by murals of Our Lady and pummeling gang violence which has given me these tastes)..

This last one was quite potent for my recent situations as it was more obviously a love story than the others. Sure, it was also a political and social critique, but it was still based on a love story, and one I could quite relate too..

It seems that Perez-Reverte wanted to comment on the state of modern "dating" and its shallowness in comparison to another time. He uses fencing as the analogy, as fencing is a fight of sophistication, ettiquete, honor.. The Fencing Master is fighting an uphill battle as the world changes, as guns and firearms turn sword fighting into a quant sport..

I can relate to this, dating seems like an "ambush and stab in the back" like the brutishness of modern warfare is to the honorable combat of sword fighting. People today really seem to be just out there to conquer the next heart, and the thrill of the chase is lost. I suppose the real question is was there ever any regality to romance and love, or have we always just been like David and Bathsheba?

up next

I'm already enjoying this one, even though I wish I had the fortitude to sit back a day or two and revel in the last one I just finished but alas, I'm bored and immobile for the next few days.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2011, 07:22 PM   #2756
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

Facebook

Old 04.29.2011, 03:12 PM   #2757
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses

William Blake - Selected poems

there is a really great forward by Patti Smith in this

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2011, 03:22 PM   #2758
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
everything is cinema by richard brody &
journey to the end of the night by celine
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2011, 04:08 PM   #2759
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses

Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2011, 04:54 PM   #2760
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

I'm already enjoying this one, even though I wish I had the fortitude to sit back a day or two and revel in the last one I just finished but alas, I'm bored and immobile for the next few days.

fucking shit this is really really good. It just keeps reading like a random stream of free-associative musings, like a rather sophisticated mushroom binge. I'm rather smitten..

so its really a true story so to speak?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
88128135136137 138 139140141148188238 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth