Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page They look wrong,they sound wrong and they are doing it for the wrong reason
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.22.2006, 11:40 AM   #141
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
asian dub foundation are a bunch of racist idiots.

the guitar was not invented by colonialists, but if they wanted to justify their use of synths and shit, that's a very retarded way to do so. and if they were so bothered by the "white oppressors of this earth", why didn't they move to india or wherever the fuck their ancestors were from and started an indie label there and stopped talking in english? to me, it sounds hypocrite.
To me this is not really saying much at all

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 11:53 AM   #142
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
ok, i'll explain it a little clearer for you.

if asian dub or anybody else knew anything, they'd know that the guitar was not invented by british or french imperialists (the prime conquerors in asia), and that their prejudice to the use of it is based upon some stereotype, the stereotype that only white people play guitars.

further more, the statement comes from a band formed by people who are immigrants or children of immigrants, they are asian immigrants in the uk who complain about "white opressors" when they could just embrace their inherited culture and move back to the place they or their forefathers were originally from and that way, stop being in the dominance of the white people. but instead, they stay in the uk and bitch about it.

they stereotype the people who use guitars as white opressors, and to me, that sounds very racist.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 11:58 AM   #143
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
is there now form to this thread? cuz yknow, dont wanna interrupt the "flow". "flow" being wgatever you decipher it as!
Old 05.22.2006, 12:00 PM   #144
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
This is kinda missing the point and taking it quite a bit out of context but i'll get back to you and Toilet Bowels when i get more time to do so

Old 05.22.2006, 12:04 PM   #145
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
I'm non-white, living deep in the heart of Asia... No matter how 'enlightened' Asian society has become or will become; there is always a stigma associated with anything 'Western'; whether stereotypical; such as guitars; or something essentially deeper; such as western english literature... The east and west shall never meet thing is very much alive here in Asia. It's a either you're with us or you're against us mentality here; and with rising wealth and greater exposure to global cultures; there's a mad scramble; a certain paranoia to clutch to 'traditional' Asian values; at all costs, even at the risk of censorship or ostracization. Asians are very proud, anyone watched Lost? that Korean dude? Went around beating everyone up? Asian people are really like that; I can tell you with all certainty... So anytime any cultural invasion; especially the white people with their guitars; come up; people around here get very edgy and hostile... And Asians can be very mercenary, so they might welcome these gwailos with their guitars and pop music, just to get their dollar, but secretly spit on everything they stand for... So yeah, racism works both ways... And not all supremacists speak with a Southern American accent...
Old 05.22.2006, 12:05 PM   #146
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Everyneurotic: Are you basing this on actually reading about ADF and knowing their music, or are you talking on the basis of some mis-quotes on this thread?

I don't think they're racists. I think they are one of the more intelligent bands out there (again, not that their music does a great deal for me). I think they have a lot to say about 'post-colonial Britain', insofar as they aren't terribly interested in the guitar side of things (which, as has been said, is not necessarily a 'white' thing) but they are interested in the cross-pollination of musical styles which you wouldn't be able to get anywhere other than Britain. A group of disenfranchised Asian kids is pretty much the same as an American hardcore band (just usually more attractive); I don't really see anything terribly racist in a band that throws in Indian classical, Dancehall, British Bhangra, British Drum n' bass, odds and sods of heavy metal into their songs. Again, I don't like it, but it is a very 'multi-cultural' British (that's BRITISH, not Indian or anything else) thing to do.

What few interviews I've read with ADF they are pretty much constantly speaking up for the opressed everywhere - not just against white opressors, oppresors period. It's a subtle difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 12:14 PM   #147
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Well said Glice.Sorry guys i'd love to join in but i'm trying to do 3 things at the same time

Old 05.22.2006, 02:16 PM   #148
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Everyneurotic: Are you basing this on actually reading about ADF and knowing their music, or are you talking on the basis of some mis-quotes on this thread?

I don't think they're racists. I think they are one of the more intelligent bands out there (again, not that their music does a great deal for me). I think they have a lot to say about 'post-colonial Britain', insofar as they aren't terribly interested in the guitar side of things (which, as has been said, is not necessarily a 'white' thing) but they are interested in the cross-pollination of musical styles which you wouldn't be able to get anywhere other than Britain. A group of disenfranchised Asian kids is pretty much the same as an American hardcore band (just usually more attractive); I don't really see anything terribly racist in a band that throws in Indian classical, Dancehall, British Bhangra, British Drum n' bass, odds and sods of heavy metal into their songs. Again, I don't like it, but it is a very 'multi-cultural' British (that's BRITISH, not Indian or anything else) thing to do.

What few interviews I've read with ADF they are pretty much constantly speaking up for the opressed everywhere - not just against white opressors, oppresors period. It's a subtle difference.

i was making my statement from the misquote used here, i should have started my post with "if that what asian dub really said...", but i went on with what was stated.

yes, i know asian dub's music, i thought it was odd that a band that crosspoints so many styles would say something like this.

alyasa posted exactly what i was trying to say.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2006, 02:38 PM   #149
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Word. Well, I'm glad, I can never be bothered with arguing with people for more than one post.

Group hug anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 04:02 AM   #150
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Old 05.23.2006, 04:03 AM   #151
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Old 05.23.2006, 04:12 AM   #152
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Old 05.23.2006, 04:24 AM   #153
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Old 05.23.2006, 04:31 AM   #154
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses

Old 05.23.2006, 04:50 AM   #155
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
in other 'things you shouldnt do infront of a child' related news, i hate it when parents smoke infront of their kids, especially young ones they are pushing around in a buggy dropping ash all over the poor sods head and clothes.
I totally agree with that.And what about parents feeding their children junk food at a tender age?Disgusting!

Old 05.23.2006, 06:13 AM   #156
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
I totally agree with that.And what about parents feeding their children junk food at a tender age?Disgusting!

totally, i can't stand it when poor people have children either.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.23.2006, 09:43 AM   #157
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I feel really sorry for the poor kid below:

Old 05.23.2006, 03:23 PM   #158
eatmychild
children of satan

eatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asseseatmychild kicks all y'all's asses
When people think of guitars as being stereotypically white, are they just ignoring Jimi? He's kind of important in guitar history.
Old 05.24.2006, 12:14 AM   #159
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
who can love the stooges & ignore the doors??

but i tell you this:
no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
-texas radio & the big beat

You were trying to express something similar to that to me last night in the thread about the great big ball o' yarn in the sky haha

besides the whole Dionysian connection, there's the Danny Sugarman involvement with both bands (the Stooges & The Doors are the two bands I mean for those of you with poor reading comprehension).

people who like the bullshit alternative music of today & rag on some of the greatest bands ever have got some sort of brain damage. yes, i realize that youth are deliberately rebellious to the point of being irrationally confrontational, but shit, there's simply no comparison between the quality of the music. these people aren't in it for music; they care much more about image than music.

some of the picks aren't too bad, but overall, i found this page to be nauseating; this fuck ranks The Doors as the worst band of all-time: http://www.nothing-sacred.net/articles/033/
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.24.2006, 12:54 AM   #160
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Brothers & sisters of the pale forest
O Children of Night
Who among you will run w/ the hunt?
Now Night arrives with her purple legion.
Retire now to your tents & to your dreams.
Tomorrow we enter the town of my birth.
I want to be ready.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth