Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page What do you think is lacking from today's music?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.13.2009, 04:48 PM   #41
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
strobe lights and food fights, thats whats missing. also rollerskates.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:48 PM   #42
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the enginners/session guys/producers/etc are NOT what is sold in mainsteream music, and most fans of it do not give a fuck who the producer/session guy/engineer is. they want to see mariah carey, and the jonas bros. no one cares about the old geezers standing in shadows playing all the music at a jonas bros show.
It's the same with rock music. It's the same with most people who pay for any entertainement of any kind, Roberta.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:48 PM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
what's the real deal?

music to put on and be swept away by, not music to have dinner with your uncle and aunt to.
Old 05.13.2009, 04:48 PM   #44
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
You're all a bunch of balding rockists. We need more

Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:49 PM   #45
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It's the same with rock music. It's the same with most people who pay for any entertainement of any kind, Roberta.

not with jazz, nor blues, nor punk or underground rock, nor folk, nor classical music. not for the local funk bands or reggae bands
Old 05.13.2009, 04:50 PM   #46
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I agree with the dynamics statement. dynamics in music means the relationship between the loud and the quiet, the forceful and the delicate. much music these days is one note. that is why everyone used to love the pixies, before everyone ripped them off. they had a sense of dynamic range in their songs and they used it for full effect.
Old 05.13.2009, 04:51 PM   #47
sarramkrop

Quote:
not with jazz, nor blues, nor punk or underground rock, nor folk, nor classical music. not for the local funk bands or reggae bands
What do you mean, baby doll?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 04:51 PM   #48
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
You're all a bunch of balding rockists. We need more

you do not see that this guy is ROCKING OUT! that is what is needed, not specifically a guitar sound. it is personal AGGRESSION
Old 05.13.2009, 04:53 PM   #49
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
What do you mean, baby doll?

mainstream popular music does have talent behind the scenes, but most bands working in the genres I threw out there are doing it all themselves. there is not a hype machine in jazz or blues or classical music (not popera or those fucking tenors, but regular classical symphony and chamber music concerts)
the problem is that a hype machine was developed for underground rock a couple of decades ago and it has fucked up the underground.
Old 05.13.2009, 04:56 PM   #50
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I think that the people who make the most mopney from music want fans to treat the music as disposable, because if it si disposable you are always ready to buy a whole shitton of new stuff that they shove down yr throats. the old stuff holds no meaning. (of course I am speaking in generalities, but I see this especially in hip hop. and genero rock)
Old 05.13.2009, 05:07 PM   #51
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

what is needed is more waitresses
Old 05.13.2009, 05:09 PM   #52
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses

Quote:
what is needed is more waitresses
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 05:20 PM   #53
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
clearly what is missing is rob instigator and sarramkrop.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 05.13.2009, 05:26 PM   #54
sarramkrop

And Jon Boy's talent, obviously.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 05:30 PM   #55
jon boy
invito al cielo

i want nothing to do with you.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 05.13.2009, 05:37 PM   #56
sarramkrop

Good. I don't like you, anyway.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 05:40 PM   #57
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
what is lacking in todays music is its ability to challenge the dominant ideology or provide any new form of transgression that doesn't lead to hedonistic self destruction thus destroying any revolutionary or emancipatory potential.

very little music is able to go beyond sucking off the dead guts of a past or imagined counter culture. people pretend there is still something somehow credible about outdated punk/noise/art moves.

the claim that the 90's bands killed off hair metal and flamboyance and indulgence is only partly true. people like thurston moore just ressurected it in the form of spewing out noise releases that are the postmodern equivalent of the indulgence of 80's fretwanking guitar solo metal or 70's prog flamboyance.

that entire argument or the word "internet".

we are locked into a nostalgia for a time when the cd/lp/cs artifact could still function as a portal to new undiscovered culture. now it really can't because it's been made obsolete by the computer which works as a musical object with infinitely editable cover art/liner notes/songs/videos.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 05:41 PM   #58
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
i'm completely bored of rocking out, rock based music has by far the widest shit to good ratio. i think it's probably about 10000000 shit to 10 good
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 05:51 PM   #59
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
what is lacking in todays music is its ability to challenge the dominant ideology or provide any new form of transgression that doesn't lead to hedonistic self destruction thus destroying any revolutionary or emancipatory potential in the individual.

very little music is able to go beyond sucking off the dead guts of a past or imagined counter culture. people pretend there is still something somehow credible about outdated punk/noise moves.

the claim that the 90's bands killed off hair metal and flamboyance and indulgence is only partly true. people like thurston moore just ressurected it in the form of spewing out noise releases that are the modern equivalent of the 80's fretwanking guitar solo or 70's prog flamboyance indulgence.

The first two paragraphs I'm totally with you,. The third I think is a little too harsh harsh. Sonic Youth haven't been avantgarde since the 80's, or at least not in a more linear way that would make the fans rely on them for 'never heard before' new thrills throughout. I don't think that's a bad thing, since they still made some great records since then.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 05:53 PM   #60
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
WM and ATL sounded pretty avant garde to me.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth