Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page April Madness
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.04.2006, 06:44 PM   #21
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Ok, so "Protect Me You" should be a low seed, "TV" and DV69" should be higher? I can live with that.

What should "Protect me You" bump out? "Shaking Hell"?
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2006, 09:02 PM   #22
jss
empty page

jss has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
Would anyone be interested in conducting a tournament for the best sonic youth song of all time?

I've seen other boards do this where either 64 or 128 songs are ranked and face off against each other. People vote for the songs over a short period of time then go to the next round.

For example "I love her all the time" might be ranked a #1 seed and face off against "Junkies Promise" (a #16 seed) in the first round. "I love her all the time might win and face the #8 seed "The Sprawl". By the end there would be only one winner... the Sonic Youth song that would be (by the board) considered the greatest of all time.

I would be willing to assemble the songs into a bracket and keep the stats. People could PM me and I'd update the bracket. I could use a spreadsheet if someone would be willing to let me know how to do it.

I have a pretty good grasp of what songs people like and dislike; I remember the survivors that were on the old board a few years back. I feel like I could pick the "favorite" songs and then place them in a decent order.

Let me know if you'd be into it, or if you have any suggestions, please reply.
No. You need to pick the 128 songs at random to set up the brackets. Since there isn't anyway to "rate" each song. Plus it makes it more interesting.
jss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2006, 10:30 PM   #23
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

What should "Protect me You" bump out? "Shaking Hell"?

Damn that's tuff....I'd say bump out Halloween (but that's just me). It's all good either way.
Old 04.04.2006, 11:38 PM   #24
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jss
No. You need to pick the 128 songs at random to set up the brackets. Since there isn't anyway to "rate" each song. Plus it makes it more interesting.

That would certainly be a lot less time consuming. You wouldn't have to try an narrow it down to 64. And you wouldn't have to deal with people bitchin' about how one of their favorite songs didn't make the cut.

Whatevz.
Old 04.05.2006, 02:58 PM   #25
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
I think, unless people really wouldn't partake, I'm going to stick with the 64 song list with brackets. That will prevent two huge songs going up against each other early on and we'd have a better vibe of the fan favorite songs (those in the elite eight).

I have a good grasp of songs that sonic youth fans like; I've been on the board for all the survivors, and even on the old board when Chris Lawrence assembled fan favorite songs that we wanted to hear on the next tour (supposedly given to the band).

What I do want to do is have people tell me which songs they are "outraged" are not on the list so I can include them.

You just have to inform me of three things:

Which songs are ranked too high
Which songs are ranked too low
Which song should be on/and what should it replace

Then I'll make appropriate changes.

Hopefully this will work and eventually lots of people will vote!
Old 04.05.2006, 02:59 PM   #26
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
..........?

Which song should it replace?
Old 04.05.2006, 06:12 PM   #27
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
My first thoughts would be to find the best song off of each album and have them battle it out. The problem is the polls are limited to 10 songs.
Old 04.05.2006, 06:38 PM   #28
children of satan

Be nice, this took me quite a while:

Bracket One: 1982-1986
1. Expressway to yr skull
2. Inhuman
3. Death Valley 69
4. I'm Insane
5. Brother James
6. Tom Violence
7. I Love Her all the Time
8. Burning Spear
9. Intro/Brave Men Run
10. Shadow of a Doubt
11. Halloween
12. She is not Alone
13. Green Light
14. Star Power
15. Kill Yr. Idols
16. Shaking Hell

Bracket Two: 1987-1990
1. Cross the Breeze
2. Mote
3. Silver Rocket
4. Schizophrenia
5. Teenage Riot
6. Stereo Sanctity
7. Disappearer
8. Candle
9. Pipeline/Kill Time
10. White Kross
11. Kool Thing
12. Cinderella's Big Score
13. Eric's Trip
14. Dirty Boots
15. Total Trash
16. Hey Joni

Close but no cigar: Titanium Expose, Catholic Block, Beauty Lies, Tuff Gnarl, PCH, Kotton Krown, The Sprawl, Kissability, Tunic, Mary Christ, Macbeth

Remember, state which songs should be moved up, moved down, or if one should be in the top 16, which song it should replace. THIS IS NOT THE FINAL BRACKET, just a starting point.

Bracket Three: 1992-1995
1. Diamond Sea
2. Theresa's Sound World
3. Skip Tracer
4. Sweet Shine
5. Sugar Kane
6. Washing Machine
7. On the Strip
8. Self-Obsessed and Sexxee
9. JC
10. 100%
11. Chapel Hill
12. Drunken Butterfly
13. Androgynous Mind
14. Purr
15. Unwind
16. Bull in the Heather

Close but no cigar: Wish Fulfilment, Youth against facism, starfield road, screaming skull, waist, doctor's orders, in the mind of the..., becuz, saucer-like, no queen blues, genetic

Bracket Four: 1999-2004
1. Rain on Tin
2. NYCG&F
3. Dripping Dream
4. Hoarfrost
5. Pattern Recognition
6. Wildflower Soul
7. Sypathy for the Strawberry
8. Karen Revisited
9. Disconnection Notice
10. Paper Cup Exit
11. Empty Page
12. Small Flowers Crack Concrete
13. I love you golden blue
14. Nevermind
15. Sunday
16. Heather, Angel

Close: Anagrama, Female Mechanic, French Tickler, Hits of Sunshine, Karen Koltrane, Ineffible Me, Free City Rhymes, Renegade Princess, Radical Adults, Unmade Bed, Stones, New Hampshire, Peace Attack

Please offer suggestions. If there is a song that is left off the list completely, then let me know where it should go.
Old 04.05.2006, 09:33 PM   #29
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Nice....I think Wish Fullfillment should replace Self Obsessed and Sexee. Maybe Kotton Krown (my fave) over Kool Thing. I'd like to see Stones on there, but don't know what it should replace...Pattern Recognition??? But like I said, whatever's clever.
Old 04.05.2006, 10:49 PM   #30
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think, unless people really wouldn't partake, I'm going to stick with the 64 song list with brackets. That will prevent two huge songs going up against each other early on and we'd have a better vibe of the fan favorite songs (those in the elite eight).

Well, it's up to you since you're pretty much running the thing. But as I was going through your brackets, it struck me how hard it is to decide what makes the cut and what doesn't. Some really excellent stuff would left off. Which is worse; two "popular" songs facing off too soon or a song not even getting the chance to compete?

Quote:
Bracket Two: 1987-1990
1. Cross the Breeze
2. Mote
3. Silver Rocket
4. Schizophrenia
5. Teenage Riot
6. Stereo Sanctity
7. Disappearer
8. Candle
9. Pipeline/Kill Time
10. White Kross
11. Kool Thing
12. Cinderella's Big Score
13. Eric's Trip
14. Dirty Boots
15. Total Trash
16. Hey Joni

Close but no cigar: Titanium Expose, Catholic Block, Beauty Lies, Tuff Gnarl, PCH, Kotton Krown, The Sprawl, Kissability, Tunic, Mary Christ, Macbeth

Well, here's my take on this bracket. Maybe others disagree.

I think we need far more songs from Sister and Daydream Nation than Goo. In my eyes, Goo has a bunch of nice songs, but not as many "classics" as DDN or Sister. I really think the only songs that need to make it from Goo are "Dirty Boots" and "Mote". Ok, maybe "Kool Thing" as well. But the other Goo songs are totally dispensable.

"Catholic Block", "PCH", and "Kotton Krown" really deserve to be on there. I think those three should replace "Cinderella's Big Score", "Disappearer", and "White Kross". I would even argue that "Tuff Gnarl" should replace "Kool Thing" but if others REALLY want "Kool Thing" on there, I could live with that.

Oh yeah, and as for the seeds, I think "Schizophrenia", "Teenage Riot", and "Silver Rocket" should probably get the top spots. "Mote" and "'Cross the Breeze" need to get moved down, "Candle" could probably move up a bit. And if "Kool Thing" stays on, it should definitely be a very low seed.

Quote:
Bracket Three: 1992-1995
1. Diamond Sea
2. Theresa's Sound World
3. Skip Tracer
4. Sweet Shine
5. Sugar Kane
6. Washing Machine
7. On the Strip
8. Self-Obsessed and Sexxee
9. JC
10. 100%
11. Chapel Hill
12. Drunken Butterfly
13. Androgynous Mind
14. Purr
15. Unwind
16. Bull in the Heather

Close but no cigar: Wish Fulfilment, Youth against facism, starfield road, screaming skull, waist, doctor's orders, in the mind of the..., becuz, saucer-like, no queen blues, genetic

Not bad, but I think "Bull in the Heather" and "100%" should get much higher seeds, and maybe a song like "Skip Tracer" shouldn't be so high. I'd also rather see "Saucer-Like" than either "On the Strip" or "Washing Machine".

Quote:
Bracket Four: 1999-2004
1. Rain on Tin
2. NYCG&F
3. Dripping Dream
4. Hoarfrost
5. Pattern Recognition
6. Wildflower Soul
7. Sypathy for the Strawberry
8. Karen Revisited
9. Disconnection Notice
10. Paper Cup Exit
11. Empty Page
12. Small Flowers Crack Concrete
13. I love you golden blue
14. Nevermind
15. Sunday
16. Heather, Angel

Close: Anagrama, Female Mechanic, French Tickler, Hits of Sunshine, Karen Koltrane, Ineffible Me, Free City Rhymes, Renegade Princess, Radical Adults, Unmade Bed, Stones, New Hampshire, Peace Attack

I think "NYCG&F" got much too high of a seed. "Anagrama" and "Unmade Bed" should replace "Nevermind" and "Paper Cup Exit", IMO. And maybe "Hits of Sunshine" over "Heather, Angel"?
Old 04.05.2006, 11:22 PM   #31
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I think Wish Fullfilment, PCH, Macbeth, and Genetic all need to be put in.
Old 04.06.2006, 12:18 AM   #32
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
that looks good. I like the world looks red, but it wouldn't go very far compared to the rest so leave it off.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2006, 10:08 AM   #33
children of satan

I'm going to try to get some more suggestions, but just to let you know... on the old board about two years ago there was a very intense survivor that "voted off" each of the songs off all their albums. The winner at the end was "NYCG&F", second was "Cross the Breeze" (it got robbed), Diamond Sea got knocked off early but is an obvious favorite of pretty much everyone, and "Expressway" is considered a masterpiece. From there, I took the songs that won from their original albums. If I remember correctly, they were "I'm Insane", "Bro James", "Mote", "Stereo Sanctity" (Schizo did well), "Rain on Tin", "Sweet Shine", "Dripping Dream", etc.

The suggestions so far are good. Sister is underrepresented, though DDN has seven songs, so I don't think it needs any more. "Genetic" should make the cut.

I agree "Heather, Angel" (though one of my personal favorites) should be replaced by "Unmade Bed".

I'll try to work the rest out after I get some more suggestions.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth