Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.09.2019, 09:32 AM   #23561
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
antonioni took cortázar mostly as an inspiration. itks not the same story. the short story is the best of the lot, but would be impossible to make as film almost. the short story is more about, oh... the blurring of subject and object, maybe? and there is the photograph and the enlargement and the obsession but... ok i see it with antonioni, he tried to get at it in his own way. but it’s a very delicate thing to achieve even in writing. in film... wow.

mike leigh called it the worst movie ever and a bunch of pretentious crap haahaaahaaa. i can see why. opposite metaphysics. materialism vs idealism or something. me i draw the line at last year ar marienbad. zzzzzz. that was not antonioni though. but one could make a similar complaint—pretentious, tries to fuck with reality, who cares.

the reading of blowup has changed over the decades of course. it’s not what it once was. we live in politically correct times. the 60s loved orgies more because they were supposedly liberating, but now people are after... perfect virtue i guess. or the appearance of it anyway.

still i dont think antonioni was... celebrating that whole scene. there was a massive loneliness here as well. if it was popular likely it was in spite of itself.

im gonna guess with depalma he made the image more baroque, removed all subtleties, and emphasized the schlocky bits? which i dont mind at all btw hahaha. i’ll check it out when criterion reopens april 8.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2019, 09:39 AM   #23562
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

What is it about Kill Bill that you guys dont like?

The only thing I can think of is maybe that's where Tarantino's work became more kitschy. I love me some kitsch and sleaze. De Palma, Argento, John Waters, etc.

I loved Jackie Brown and felt like Tarantino was really maturing into a rounded filmmaker. So Kill Bill and everything after that felt like a huge step backwards.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2019, 11:04 AM   #23563
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Jackie Brown is outstanding. Wasnt it originally seen as a disappointment coming out after Pulp?
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2019, 11:08 AM   #23564
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I love Jackie Brown! It got a lot of negativity, as far as I recall, but fuck them. it shouldn't be compared to pulp fiction

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2019, 12:23 PM   #23565
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
My main problem with Tarantino is that every single shot of every single film, and pretty much every scene at that, can be traced to another earlier film. People like to say "oh it's a homage!" Nah, it ain't a homage. Scorcese referencing the lost weekend in taxi driver (the shot with the aspirin bubbling in the glass of water) is a homage. Stealing every shot without a hint of originality of your own is just theft. Plus I'll never forget Mark Kermode pointing out that every character sounds the same is/sounds like Tarantino. Once I heard that it was a "holy shit so they do!" moment.

Don't get me wrong Pulp Fiction and so on are enjoyable but is he as brilliant as everyone seems to think? Fuck no.

Fuck him. Hack.

Edit:And if anyone throws that Picasso line of great artists stealing I will hunt you down and stab you.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2019, 02:13 PM   #23566
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
^ I've always considered it being the same sense as hip hop artists sampling other songs and making it their own
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2019, 02:29 PM   #23567
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
no offense meant to your childhood, but as a grownup for me kill bill was just stupid, bloated, overly long, ridiculous, boring.

homage homage homage homage homage zzzzzzzzzz

it was full of tics and winks and nonsense and i felt nothing

to me it’s like he was given free rein to do whatever he wanted and he did exactly that, but i don’t care about what he cares about so i didn’t

revenge or something. ok. to hide the emptiness.

i do understand being dazzled by his style though especially as a kid. he does have a ton of style. but ultimately for me it got tiring.
Old 02.09.2019, 02:33 PM   #23568
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ps: he should challenge himself and make a silent movie
Old 02.09.2019, 03:26 PM   #23569
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Jackie Brown is outstanding. Wasnt it originally seen as a disappointment coming out after Pulp?

Of course it was, by audiences wanting the exact same thing again.

I saw it when it opened and it was great. Has actually gotten better with time. Good, solid fucking film.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2019, 03:29 PM   #23570
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I loved Jackie Brown and felt like Tarantino was really maturing into a rounded filmmaker. So Kill Bill and everything after that felt like a huge step backwards.

Kill Bill is great

I see you out there, judging me, but fuck you, all of you

Kill Bill is Tarantino’s superhero movie, and it’s fucking awesome. Is it his *best* film? Absolutely 100% not. No. But ... it might be my favorite. Especially volume 1.
Old 02.09.2019, 04:03 PM   #23571
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Kill Bill is Tarantino’s superhero movie,

aaaaaah...

so that’s why it’s so bad and so popular at the same time! hahahaha

Quote:
Of course it was, by audiences wanting the exact same thing again.

I saw it when it opened and it was great. Has actually gotten better with time. Good, solid fucking film.
and yeah this is making me watch jackie brown again actually
Old 02.09.2019, 06:13 PM   #23572
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Kill Bill is great

I see you out there, judging me, but fuck you, all of you

Kill Bill is Tarantino’s superhero movie, and it’s fucking awesome. Is it his *best* film? Absolutely 100% not. No. But ... it might be my favorite. Especially volume 1.

Tarantino seems stuck in perpetual adolescence, trying a bit too hard to impress everyone with all the 'cool' obscure movies he's seen. It's something he really should've grown out of by now. Not just as a filmmaker but as a person. I can't even listen to his dialogue anymore without feeling that none of his characters are actually talking; they're just quoting Quentin Tarantino to one another. It's autism masquerading as auteurism.
Old 02.09.2019, 06:18 PM   #23573
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Tarantino seems stuck in perpetual adolescence, trying a bit too hard to impress everyone with all the 'cool' obscure movies he's seen. It's something he really should've grown out of by now. Not just as a filmmaker but as a person. I can't even listen to his dialogue anymore without feeling that none of his characters are actually talking; they're just quoting Quentin Tarantino to one another. It's autism masquerading as auteurism.

This.

Old 02.09.2019, 06:23 PM   #23574
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

Old 02.09.2019, 09:59 PM   #23575
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

I don’t give a shit what it is, Kill Bill is a fucking blast.

Except for the utterly bleak moments in volume 2, which are a downer...

But it’s a fun, kickass movie, well-made, knowingly silly and also dramatic at weird times. It’s fun as hell.

Tarantino released one of the greatest movies ever, and people think that means anything that isn’t profound or perfect (as Pulp Fiction is) is a failure. Well fuck that shit.

Did anyone see Kill Bill in the theater? It was more fun than any action film released at that point in the decade.

It also did the important job of winning back some casual viewers, after the too-smart-for-most Jackie Brown, which is sad but part of the deal.

Nolan released Batman so he could make Prestige. Did the sequel so he could do Inception. Did the third so he could do whatever the fuck he wanted forever, and we got Interstellar and Dunkirk.

Indie filmmakers who want to stay relevant and draw viewers have to make the occasional mass-appeal flick, and Kill Bill is about the most badass mass-appeal flick ever (not counting the aforementioned Batfilms which I promised Slambang I wouldn’t talk about for a while).

I don’t believe ANY of you didn’t enjoy Kill Bill. Tell me you didn’t, I’ll call you liars.
Old 02.09.2019, 10:07 PM   #23576
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

please sev dont have a meltdown cuz some people here didnt like this movie

millions of people liked it. even fucking benihana liked it and put the music in their commercial

i... dont like benihana or the commercial or kill bill.

all artists repeat themselves but tarantino does it in a tiresome empty kind of way

to see this is not a tragedy

the real tragedy was that he made death proof though. that movie had nothing

ps- uma hates him now
Old 02.09.2019, 11:13 PM   #23577
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
please sev dont have a meltdown cuz some people here didnt like this movie

millions of people liked it. even fucking benihana liked it and put the music in their commercial

i... dont like benihana or the commercial or kill bill.

all artists repeat themselves but tarantino does it in a tiresome empty kind of way

to see this is not a tragedy

the real tragedy was that he made death proof though. that movie had nothing

ps- uma hates him now

You mistake my using lots of words and saying “fuck” for having a meltdown, when I’m enjoying myself.

Why do you want to take my joy away?

But yeah, I’ve only seen parts of death proof but I don’t care to see more.
Old 02.09.2019, 11:24 PM   #23578
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Officially chiming in as one who does not get the cult of Tarentino. MEH I SAY!
Old 02.10.2019, 12:42 AM   #23579
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Quote:

But it’s a fun, kickass movie, well-made, knowingly silly and also dramatic at weird times. It’s fun as hell.

Tarantino released one of the greatest movies ever, and people think that means anything that isn’t profound or perfect (as Pulp Fiction is) is a failure. Well fuck that shit.

Did anyone see Kill Bill in the theater? It was more fun than any action film released at that point in the decade.

It also did the important job of winning back some casual viewers, after the too-smart-for-most Jackie Brown, which is sad but part of the deal.

Nolan released Batman so he could make Prestige. Did the sequel so he could do Inception. Did the third so he could do whatever the fuck he wanted forever, and we got Interstellar and Dunkirk.

Indie filmmakers who want to stay relevant and draw viewers have to make the occasional mass-appeal flick, and Kill Bill is about the most badass mass-appeal flick ever (not counting the aforementioned Batfilms which I promised Slambang I wouldn’t talk about for a while).

I don’t believe ANY of you didn’t enjoy Kill Bill. Tell me you didn’t, I’ll call you liars.

WHEY!!! *does a shot*

Old 02.10.2019, 04:58 AM   #23580
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:

You seem to have a real problem with the idea that not everyone likes or enjoys the same things you do.
679107911291169117611771178 1179 118011811182118912291279 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth