Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Coolest Cult Films of all time...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.18.2009, 04:41 PM   #41
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
casablanca is not and never was a cult film
that mofucker won THREE academy awards for chrissakes.

cult films are ones that garnered support and love from people way after they were released and dropped from tgheaters.

prime example is rocky horror
Old 08.18.2009, 04:42 PM   #42
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
Would Frankenweenie count?
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2009, 04:49 PM   #43
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
casablanca is not and never was a cult film
that mofucker won THREE academy awards for chrissakes.

cult films are ones that garnered support and love from people way after they were released and dropped from tgheaters.

prime example is rocky horror

Casablanca reached the full flowering of its culthood only in the 1960s whenHarvard students regularly attended Humphrey Bogart film festivals during finals week. [5] More than a decade before TheRocky Horror Picture Show, Casablanca initiates would shout "The Germans wore gray; you wore blue" and " Is that cannonfire, or is it my heart pounding?" along with the projected images of Rick (Bogart) and Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman).

James C. Robertson. New York: Routledge, 1995. 202 pp.

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2009, 04:52 PM   #44
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
anything that won oscars the year of it's release is not a cult fave EVER
no matter if people started treating it like one
Old 08.18.2009, 05:00 PM   #45
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
you're just making the rules up as you go along now, aren't you?
Old 08.18.2009, 05:04 PM   #46
Prisstina
the end of the ugly

Prisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's asses
Atsonicpark must have a big head.

Prisstina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2009, 05:16 PM   #47
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Is that good or bad?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2009, 05:17 PM   #48
demonrail666
invito al cielo

depends if you expect us to keep you in hats
Old 08.18.2009, 05:18 PM   #49
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
My all time favorite cult/b-movie (by the purest definition of the words) is DEFINITELY monster high:

This movie is insane. Rapping aliens, hot chicks, a weird scene where people open a mysterious door and a red strobe light goes off while blood is randomly splattered like ketchup and a fat girl sits on a cheesecake (?!), and the entire movie is about a basketball game to save the world. Oh, and there's a life size killer marijuana plant.

Old 08.18.2009, 05:19 PM   #50
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Movies are my life.

There have seriously been points in my life where I was going to kill myself but I decided to "wait" until I saw the new Kitano movie or something. That's kinda sad but eh. They make me happy!

Old 08.18.2009, 05:21 PM   #51
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
troma made a fortune convincing people they were watching future cult classics, when what they were really watching was boring crap.

For fun, here's my top 10 troma flicks:

1. combat shock
2. touch me in the morning
3. bloodsucking freaks
4. fatty drives the bus
5. class of nuke 'em high
6. sucker: the vampire
7. surf nazis must die
8. period piece
9. unspeakable
10. nightmare weekend

Old 08.18.2009, 05:22 PM   #52
demonrail666
invito al cielo

didn't woody allen say something quite similar in one of his movies? about wanting to kill himself but at the same wanting to see how some marx brothers movie ended first, and inevitably feeling cheered up as a result.
Old 08.18.2009, 05:23 PM   #53
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Oh, and thanks to this thread, I pulled out the Kenneth Anger collection for the first time in years and watched every single short film on there.

Truly brilliant. I never noticed the scene in Lucifer Rising where the elephant foot steps on a snake.

Old 08.18.2009, 05:25 PM   #54
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
For fun, here's my top 10 troma flicks:

1. combat shock

That's definitely the best thing Troma have been involved with. Ironically, I think it's the only one on your list (besides Bloodsucking Freaks) that they weren't actually responsible for making. They only distributed it, despite now trying to take full credit for it by putting it in various Troma box sets. The actual film was made by 2000AD films.
Old 08.18.2009, 05:39 PM   #55
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Actually, they weren't responsible for any of them in my list, except nuke'em high. I don't really like Lloyd's films (which pains me to say, as I love Lloyd as a person). However, in the case of Combat Shock, they took the film American Nightmare (the original title), and they had the director add the Viet Nam footage at the beginning. So, in a way, they actually had something to do with it, since that opening constitutes a good 7 minutes of the film.

Old 08.18.2009, 05:42 PM   #56
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Something weird I've noticed about Combat Shock is the weird one-note synth music at the beginning and near the end of the film is the exact same timbre (and possibly the same note being played) as a track on the Manhunter soundtrack. I wonder what kind of synth that was, I really like that sound.

I really love the scene in Combat Shock, near the end, where Viet Nam stock footage is played over the main character's face through a projector. The director of the film said he didn't like that part of the film...?!

Also, I LOVE the whole waiting-in-line scene. Some people say it goes on too long, but it's awesome. The music is a bit odd, though, haha. But it has one of my all time favorite lines in any movie when he actually goes in the unemployment office (note the Frank Zappa on a toilet picture on the wall): "Life is difficult. And since it is difficult, I'm going to take off my jacket." *unemployment office man slowly gets up, slowly takes his jacket off, neatly folds it and sets it down, and then sits back down*

Brilliant.

Old 08.18.2009, 05:52 PM   #57
demonrail666
invito al cielo

combat shock would make an incredible double bill with william lustig's maniac.

and my mistake, you're quite right about the majority of films on your list not being made by kaufman
Old 08.18.2009, 05:55 PM   #58
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Fuck yeah. Maniac is my favorite "slasher" film of all time. In fact, it was the first movie I ever bought with my own money, when I was 14!

Old 08.18.2009, 05:55 PM   #59
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
At the top of my head:

Hana-Bi
Eureka (2001)
Sonatine
Dolls
Violent Cop
Period Piece
Touch Me in the Morning
Garbanzo Gas
Everlasting Pine
Cat Piss
Schoof
Actor
It's All Not So Tragic
Doily's Summer of Freak Occurences
Airplane Windows
Babysitter
Tater Tots
In our Garden
Orzo
Grandpa
The Check Out
Holiday Weekeend
Monkey
Golden Embers
Okie Dokie
Notre Musique
A Family Finds Entertainment
I-Be Area
Killer Nerd
Ferocious Female Freedom Fighters
Horror House on Highway 5
Most High
Rapture
Takeshis'
Kikajiro
Laserblast
Paris, Texas
Exterminating Angel
Death Bed
The Eel
Vernon, Florida
Gates of Heaven
Dragon Lives Again
Speaking Parts
In a Year with 13 Moons
Boxer's Omen
Mighty Peking Man
Used Cars
Quick Change
Shaye and Kiki
Zero Day
Happy Together
Delirium
Belly of an Architect
Running out of Time
Koyannisqatsi
Baraka
Geek Maggot Bingo
Outside Out
Big Heat
Exiled
Running Time
Sweet Movie
Mirror
Mutilation Man
Screwed
Faust
Last Seduction
Kill Me Again
Nekromantik 2
Hole in my Heart
Trees Lounge
Mute Witness
The Funeral
The Mission
Funky Forest
A Taste of Tea
The Boneyard
Dressed to Kill
Sharkskin Man and Peach Hip Girl
Mule Skinner Blues
Tokyo Eyes
Scrap Heaven
Dr. Lamb
Sick
Hi Mom
Cop
Drugstore Cowboy
Samurai Cop
Zardoz
Body Parts
License to Drive
Beautiful Beast
Gore From Outer Space
Crazy Lips
Zebraman
Meatball Machine
Evil Dead Trap
Electric Dragon 800000V
Love - Zero = Infinity
Survey Map of a Paradise Lost
Cat in the Brain
The Bow
Why Does Herr R Run Amok?
Bride of Frank
The Corndog Man
Reflections of Evil
Space Disco 1
Dawn of an Evil Millenium
The Untitled Star Wars Mockumentary
ZERO
Migrating Forms
Back Against the Wall
Combat Shock
Fatty Drives the Bus
Maniac Nurses Find Ecstasy
Nightmare Weekend
Izo
Bloodsucking Freaks
Maniac
The Gates of Hell
Tenebre
Beyond the Darkness
Bad Lieutenant
Night Train to Terror
Visitor Q
Dear Pillow
Pinnochio 964
Tokyo Fist
Videodrome
Death Powder
El Topo
Long Live Death
Holy Mountain
Fando Y Lis
Phantom
Dog Star Man
Fallen Angels
Fulltime Killer
Eli Eli Rema Sabatchthani?
Lucifer Rising
Invocation of My Demon Brother
Chungking Express
Survive Style 5+
Clean Shaven
Pistol Opera
Bullet Ballet
Liquid Sky
Doom Generation
Totally Fucked Up
The Living End
Nowhere
Possession
Sombre
La Vie Nouvelle
I Stand Alone
Heart of Glass
The Beyond
Last Life in the Universe
Riki-Oh: Story of Ricky
Kichiku Da Enkai
Brain Damage
Burning Moon
Premutos: Lord of the Living Dead
Begotten
The Untold Story
The Burning Moon
Body Double
All About Lily Chou-Chou
Hana and Alice
Love and Pop
Satantango
Dead Alive
Achilles and the Tortoise
Plan 9
Evil Dead 2
Man Bites Dog
Reefer Madness
Rock N Roll Nightmare
Black Roses
Rocktober Blood
Multiple Maniacs
Fame Whore
Mod Fuck Explosion
Terminal USA
Scumrock
Driller Killer
Ms. 45
Manos: Hands of Fate
Spookies
Frankenhooker
Unspeakable
Anguish
Surf Nazis Must Die
Blue Spring
Basket Case 1, 2, 3
Maniac Cop 1, 2, 3
Relentless
Anguish
Orgy of the Dead
Glen or Glenda?
Slime City
Body Melt
Street Trash
Bloody Wednesday
Iron Warrior
Unmasked pt. 25
Truth or Dare: A Critical Madness?
Killing Spree
Biozombie
I Was a Teenage Zombie
Real Fiction
Wizards of the Lost Kingdom
Troll 2
The Isle
Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall.. and Spring
Samaritan Girl
6ixtynin9
9 Souls
Wild Zero
Strange Circus
Sorum
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Time
3-Iron
Neon Maniacs
Dark Backward
Psycho Cop 2
Monster High
Xiu XiU
Organ
Werckmeister Harmonies
Living Hell
Class of Nuke'Em High
Skinner
Skinned Alive
Intruder
New Year's Evil
Chopper Chicks from Zombie Town
Deadtime Stories
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-o-Rama
Future War
The Evil Within
Don't Go in the House
Don't Go in the Woods
2LDK
Family Nest
Splatter: Naked Blood
Rubber's Lover
Rampo Noir
Doom Asylum
The Cat
Charisma
Mystics in Bali
Lady Terminator
Battlefield Baseball
Boy From Hell
Id
Whites of the Eye

...Barely scratches the surface.
you missed Uncle Buck

this thread fails at Big Trouble in Little China.
yes, it counts, you bastards. yes, it counts.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2009, 05:57 PM   #60
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Is Big Trouble really a "cult" film? Big director, big star.. it didn't make much money, but it's fairly well known. Then again, I did list Evil Dead 2, so nevermind.

Also, something I'd like to mention about my list, a lot of those ARE legitimate cult films, but some of them are well-known/well-loved in their original countries of origin, just not here.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth