Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Press makes the sell-out question once again.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.28.2007, 06:37 AM   #1
rapaz maldito
empty page

rapaz maldito kicks all y'all's assesrapaz maldito kicks all y'all's assesrapaz maldito kicks all y'all's assesrapaz maldito kicks all y'all's assesrapaz maldito kicks all y'all's assesrapaz maldito kicks all y'all's assesrapaz maldito kicks all y'all's assesrapaz maldito kicks all y'all's assesrapaz maldito kicks all y'all's assesrapaz maldito kicks all y'all's assesrapaz maldito kicks all y'all's asses
n/a
rapaz maldito is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2007, 06:46 AM   #2
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
That was beautiful...
Old 09.28.2007, 06:46 AM   #3
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Thank you, the rapacious accursed...
Old 09.28.2007, 06:52 AM   #4
nico99
little trouble girl

nico99 kicks all y'all's assesnico99 kicks all y'all's assesnico99 kicks all y'all's assesnico99 kicks all y'all's assesnico99 kicks all y'all's assesnico99 kicks all y'all's assesnico99 kicks all y'all's assesnico99 kicks all y'all's assesnico99 kicks all y'all's assesnico99 kicks all y'all's assesnico99 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
That was beautiful...

I agree. If I had the chance of putting out a record for starbucks I'd do it. Rather that then some "cool" record label without distribution. As long as you do the music you want to do, I don't see the point of being indie just for the sake of it. Sell out to me is if you lay some kind of music just to make money, and you don't feel anything for the music you're playing or creating. As long as you can stand for the music; go for it.
nico99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2007, 07:00 AM   #5
alyasa
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico99
I agree. If I had the chance of putting out a record for starbucks I'd do it. Rather that then some "cool" record label without distribution. As long as you do the music you want to do, I don't see the point of being indie just for the sake of it. Sell out to me is if you lay some kind of music just to make money, and you don't feel anything for the music you're playing or creating. As long as you can stand for the music; go for it.
So true, what you said. Like thurston said, this is not something you do to get rich. To get rich, you have to manipulate children and young people through fashion and trends. And tell me, what does that have to do with the music?
Old 09.29.2007, 10:13 AM   #6
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
With so much fan interpretation, misinformation and double quoting. It would be nice to see Thurston's belief system or credo written down or formalized. I know he is not a politician but he is a leader of a group of like minded people.

I am sure that he doesn't want to do this but as a fan sometimes I am confused. This makes it harder for me to make my case with friends and the like. I know where he stands and shares his belief system but
sometimes there is not clarity to make a point...
RanaldoNecro is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2007, 10:26 AM   #7
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Continued...

For as long as I rememeber SY have been making these issues known in the press which is a divine of them in the first place. Maybe they like their music speaking for itself. But sometimes as a fan it makes it difficult.

Thats all I'm saying...
RanaldoNecro is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2007, 06:59 PM   #8
sarramkrop

I thought that's what he'd say before I even read the interview. I'm one of those who never understood the fuss around the fact that they had signed to Geffen in the first place. For as long as the records are good, they deserve to make those millions.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2007, 07:16 PM   #9
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
who gives a flying fuck.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2007, 07:22 PM   #10
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Ugh for fuck's sake. They only picked up on this because everyneurotic jokily posted 'OMG SELLOUTS' about 100 times in the SY/Starbucks thread..
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2007, 07:37 PM   #11
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
who gives a flying fuck.

You do because you bothered to post on their forum that you don't give a fuck about it. This happened on a thread regarding Sonic Youth putting records through Starbucks and you felt like saying that you don't give a fuck, even though it transpires that you do give a fuck about letting everyone know that you don't give a fuck. You don't give a fuck about giving a fuck.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2007, 07:41 PM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I give a flying fuck about replying to this thread; I completely ignore any press that calls Sonic Youth sellouts. They "sold out" a long time ago (Dirty's overproduced sub-grunge uninspired muck). But they learned from it. So yay.

Old 09.29.2007, 07:44 PM   #13
sarramkrop

How can an album be overproduced for a band that hasn't used a producer before putting a particular album (Dirty) out? Do you know what production means?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2007, 07:57 PM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Do what?

They haven't used a producer before "Dirty"? I think I read that wrong, since they had a producer on almost all their stuff.

Second: Do YOU know what "production" means? Not only does "Dirty" have a filter of fucking gloss over the whole thing (it sounds like a shiny diamond and enters my ears like sticky bubblegum), let's not forget the whole "drum sample" controversy that was mixed into the album (you know, how there are sampled drums on top of some of the other drums to give the drums more "oomph")?

Old 09.29.2007, 08:00 PM   #15
sarramkrop

????

You get more ridiculous by the post. Anyway, night night, tired and need some sleep.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2007, 08:11 PM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Posting facts is ridiculous! Sweet! I'm ridiculous as fuck then, since I try to only talk about shit I KNOW about!!!

But, yes, go ahead and non-reply to my post, it makes you seem "witty", I guess. You do know that EVERY official Sonic Youth record before "Dirty" had a producer, right? And you do know the story about "drum sampling" sounds on "Dirty" right? Just look up the "Dirty" article on the mustang site if you don't know what I'm talking about. You obviously don't know what I'm talking about, and you're obviously not going to admit I'm right, so I'll just accept your silent gratitude and be happy about it.

Old 09.29.2007, 10:22 PM   #17
alyasa
invito al cielo

That's the problem with the whole grunge debacle; rock versus roll... It so screwed some people up... It was the new wave of the 90s... Kinda, sorta...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WflnA_3vE20
Old 09.29.2007, 10:54 PM   #18
alyasa
invito al cielo

Sorry abt that... wish there were some way to put up music on the board itself? Maybe someone with clout could ask chabib nicely? Me and new wave are ok... I think the best new wave song that was never written is Nirvana's Breed...
Old 09.30.2007, 06:44 AM   #19
sarramkrop

Quote:
Posting facts is ridiculous! Sweet! I'm ridiculous as fuck then, since I try to only talk about shit I KNOW about!!!

But, yes, go ahead and non-reply to my post, it makes you seem "witty", I guess. You do know that EVERY official Sonic Youth record before "Dirty" had a producer, right? And you do know the story about "drum sampling" sounds on "Dirty" right? Just look up the "Dirty" article on the mustang site if you don't know what I'm talking about. You obviously don't know what I'm talking about, and you're obviously not going to admit I'm right, so I'll just accept your silent gratitude and be happy about it.

Are you sure you are not confusing using a sound engineer to help you shape up the sound of your album as using a producer? I know that you are keen on your Steve Albinis etc, but a producer and a sound engineer are not the same thing, and if I remember well, Dirty is the first album by Sonic Youth where they consciously used a producer as such. Tell me, what's the difference between a producer and sound engineer? Oh, and what has the drum machine got to do with anything? Showing off your knowledge, eh? Didn't they also use some keyboards on Goo? So fucking what? What's that got to do with anything?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2007, 09:46 AM   #20
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
who gives a flying fuck.

im with adam on this one. what the fck difference does it mke to me whether sy records and presumably ecstatic peace records cuz thats what label the next sy album will be on, thats a no brainer, are sold in starbucks, tesco, woolworths, kmart, your local petrol station, your school, in prision, wherever. if it means people have easier access to great music well then, that should be applauded. sell out, so what, big deal. if the next sy record is only released in ta tiny shop in the middle of a back street in calcutta that only opens on a friday if the milk arrives before noon and there is 3 cats on the fence facing mecca or in a big store alongside kt tunstall and hard fi cds, WHAT DIFFERECE DOES IT MAKE??? NONE. if you want this album youwill buy it....

ilol tell you the truth, ecstatic peace went with universal distribution a while back. ever since then i can walk into my local shop in wexford town ireland, not a big shop, privately run shop run by music heads, i can buy on day of release and ecstatic peace album. i used to order them off the net and wait for the pack to arrive.

to all the sellout sayers out there, dont be hypocritical, throw away your mobile phone and use a can on a rope, stop driving your multi national cars and buy a lada, stop eating mass produced chocolate and drinking name brand beere... or grow up and join the human race........

thurston i appaud your business savvy and you will always be punk rock even if you come shrinkwrapped and barcoded.....

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth