Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.06.2016, 09:38 AM   #21
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I dig the TRAP beats more than anything in hip hop these days. I like the abstractness, and the way that they are no longer based on the same old bullshit R&B and funk and soul samples.
Old 01.06.2016, 09:48 AM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
plus I have always loved songs about drugs and doing drugs and selling drugs and making drugs.....
Old 01.06.2016, 10:47 AM   #23
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Confession: I still am not entirely certain what a "trap beat" is. At least, I can't just make one pop up into my head like I can with a g-funk, soul or hardcore beat.

I really don't think I get trap as a musical genre. Like, I thought it was more of a subject matter/songwriting style than an actual musical sound.

Louder? Rob? Can you cure me of my retardation by naming three different songs by three different artists that have "trap beats"?

Cause right now I'm thinking of everything from Fishscale and Hell Hath no Fury to A$AP to fuckin' Future and Young Thug. ?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2016, 11:24 AM   #24
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Nah nah, Fishscale had some soulful prod, Hell Hath No Fury was the Neptunes at their hardest but I wouldn't consider that trap either.

Trap rappers are like: Future, Young Thug, Jeezy, Gucci, Waka, etc.

"John" by Lil Wayne and Rick Ross for example had a trap beat.

Get what I'm saying? Exclusively heavy bass, booming 808 drums, fast hi hats and snares, layered synthesizers.. that's pretty much what a trap beat is consisted of.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2016, 11:25 AM   #25
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I dig the TRAP beats more than anything in hip hop these days. I like the abstractness, and the way that they are no longer based on the same old bullshit R&B and funk and soul samples.
Quote:
plus I have always loved songs about drugs and doing drugs and selling drugs and making drugs.....
You may want to try the mixtape "56 Nights" by Future from last year then (saw you quote a lyric by him from a Travis Scott song earlier too).

Check out this incredible song by him too. And this.
Old 01.06.2016, 11:37 AM   #26
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

TY Dollar sign has so many shit shit shit slo-jam crap tracks, but I LOVE Blase' Blase' and pump it as loud as possible in my car.....

"I feel like Nate Dogg!"

BTW, my wife says out of all the rappers I listen to lately, Future has the best stylist. ha!
Old 01.06.2016, 11:38 AM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Both Chedda da connect and Travis Scott have albums out soon....

The Chedda mix tape Chedda world is very weird....
Old 01.06.2016, 11:39 AM   #28
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I will check out 56 nights.
Old 01.06.2016, 11:53 AM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Story bout New Years.

Me and my best friends are all around 40 yrs old. I still keep up with certain music, especially Houston rap stuff, and at New Year's party at friend's house, we were all lit and hanging out outside listening to music and having fun.

I kept asking them to play something more new... and they appeased me by playing Chedda's "Flicka Da Wrist" which is a ridiculous song but I love it and the beat is weird. My friends and their people were dumbfounded, and couldn't understand anything about the track. They asked me how I got into this and I told them I watch a local hip hop show called Streeet Flava late on Saturday nights (on for 20+ years) and that they play all these videos from local Texas/Louisiana acts. It is where I first saw Chedda, and Future and Rae Srummunddd(sp?) and Post Malone and all sorts of stuff.

They cut off the Chedda track about 2/3 of the way through and started playing some Biggie Smalls track and JESUS FUCK it was like someone had removed every bit of vitality and energy from the very air molecules. I have never ever felt such an odd disconnect from my best friends, and I have never ever felt so old. (I am the oldest of all my friends). the tgrack just felt SO OLD AND LIFELESS

It was very weird. I had to explain that all the bizarre vocal tics and grunts and "UUUHHRRRR!" noises as well as the rappers vocal inflection is based on the stuffed sinus voice you get from snorting coke all night (which most of them had done at some point in their lives) but they were shocked. several of them are teachers and it hit me when my wife said "you know they see their students listening to this stuff and they must not like it."

Just a weird experience. It takes hard work to reshape one's musical ear to enjoy new stuff. I did the work, and I appreciate the crazy tracks....but to see all my closest friends have such ossified eardrums? it was odd...

I had to explain several times what was meant by "flicka da wrist" and what cooking "pies" means.....
Old 01.06.2016, 02:21 PM   #30
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
TY Dollar sign has so many shit shit shit slo-jam crap tracks, but I LOVE Blase' Blase' and pump it as loud as possible in my car.....

"I feel like Nate Dogg!"
Yeah he's pretty inconsistent. In all honesty, most trap/"trap&b" artists are. They tend to just put out as much music as possible, without much quality control.

Quote:
BTW, my wife says out of all the rappers I listen to lately, Future has the best stylist. ha!
Old 01.06.2016, 02:25 PM   #31
louder
invito al cielo

"I'm an addict and I can't even hide it.."
Old 01.06.2016, 02:28 PM   #32
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I hate "trap soul" music.

I remember as a young one my friends and I would discuss why acts didn't say explicit things in songs instead of using double entendre and innuendo, and then recently I heard the Wiz Khalifa, TY $, Weeknd track "Or Nah" https://youtu.be/TUj0otkJEBo
and I understood why acts usually do not do this. fucking A this track sux

I never want to hear Mr. Wanna-Be-Basquiat weeknd singing "sit on my face til you drip cum" again......
Old 01.07.2016, 11:49 AM   #33
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

BTW, Out of all the TX/LA rappers of the last 10 years, I think Mr. Kevin Gates has the best rhymes and flow of them all. Ugly sumbitch, but this jam gets me amped. saw this fool on Street Flava as well... from Baton Rouge LA
Kevin Gates - Out The Mud
https://youtu.be/b-QZzVytupY?list=PL...bUc5Zr4qeEUDOC
Old 01.07.2016, 01:36 PM   #34
louder
invito al cielo

Kevin Gates can rap for sure. This is my fav song from him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE4UNGlu-Ak
Old 01.07.2016, 11:02 PM   #35
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
^ except for Kanye West.

The man may be retarded in all things other than making music, but in that he is not a man but a giant flying sentient megoladon from the future. In fact I think he is to hip-hop what the Beatles were to rock & pop. Beyond it. Transcendent of it. Musically, he makes everyone else look like exactly what you're describing.

He's not cliché... He's archetypal.
Old 01.08.2016, 04:22 AM   #36
louder
invito al cielo

Okay okay.. another legendary performance by Kendrick on Fallon, performing a new song: https://youtube.com/watch?v=iZJXvjeWlVA

New album soon?
Old 01.08.2016, 09:29 AM   #37
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
im not such a bad person and don't regret nothing I've posted. think what you want to think. lots of this hip hop is a lost cause as racist and hypocritical as you think I may be, im not. most of it is sour diarrhea. you can put it in a taco, eat it, and shit it out and you would not remember it forever. it's trash. just like your grandma would say. its trash.

hey have you heard this mixtape by this so and so shit talking loser? hip hop is build around 95% shit talking and nothing else. I know it's just always just a dude trying to get his name out and his game out but have at it but, you'll be forgotten soon because your a cliché. you fucking jackass....doing drugs you've never done before.

Have you heard classic hip hop? Hip Hop has ALWAYS been about braggadocio just as much as it has been about telling one's story. Most of any genre is diarrhea if you want to get down to it.

music is first and foremost entertainment. Anything else you get out of it is gravy. I'd rather hear an entertaining and bass heavy track about whippin up a bag than a pedantic screed anyday. I can admire Run The Jewels but I find that, after 10 minutes or so, that shit is BORING
Old 01.08.2016, 09:30 AM   #38
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

fuck Kanye West. His music sucks shit.
Old 01.08.2016, 10:58 AM   #39
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
fuck Kanye West. His music sucks shit.

You're not usually this rude. Not to me at least.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter. My opinion is that Kanye West doesn't "suck shit," and I guess your opinion is that he does. I'm sure you're not alone in feeling that way. Certainly a lot of people don't like him... but his music might be a different story. It seems to be pretty widely accepted that the man knows how to put albums together.

Even the folks who hate him have a hard time writing off his music. He may actually be the most loathed musician alive, but he still - even in his off years, when no new albums drop - commands 15 million monthly listeners on Spotify alone. Of course, popularity doesn't measure quality, but it also doesn't negate it.

I think it's pretty silly to write any musician off so brusquely. I don't think I've said "Fuck [musician]. [Musician] sucks shit" since I was a teenager. I try to hold myself to a higher standard of reasoning, and a more sociable attitude. At the very least, if I make a dismissive comment like that, I try to give an explanation and make sure the people I'm talking to don't feel as though I'm dismissing them
Old 01.08.2016, 11:02 AM   #40
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I was not being rude to YOU. I was being rude to shit ass Kanye. You are not what you like, right? I am not what I like either. I fully respect your opinions about Kanye, and I ask that you respect mine, although it is a polar opposite to yours!

Fuck Kanye, he sucks SHIT. His music is BORING. people LOVE brong music because most people are boring in themselves! Celine Dion sells out $300 a seat theaters in Vegas every fucking day and she sucks major ass. the most popular TV show in US? Big Bang Theory, possibly the single worst piece of shit sitcom of the last ten years... popularity does not equal quality.
52102 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth