Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Former Alice In Chains bass player passed away
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.10.2011, 09:23 PM   #21
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
and it was Layne Staley who brought him back to life

That is a funny quote. I too liked some of Facelift and Dirt but gave up a long time ago due to band dramas and lack of material on their part.
Old 03.11.2011, 12:29 AM   #22
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
I would have thought it would be the "eleven minutes dead" part which would make someone burst into laughter. Again, i'm just quoting Mike Starr as accurately as possible. Pretty sure he mentioned those words in some interview. I'm not in the mood to find the links and provide evidence at the moment, though.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2011, 01:28 AM   #23
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Never liked anything they recorded once they signed, but when they were a club band in Seattle I saw them a few times and liked them a lot despite the obvious pop metal influence. Somehow it seemed fresh with them, but when I heard what they did to the songs on Facelift I was really disappointed. Over produced in all the wrong ways.

I met Layne in the Last Exit coffee shop right before they changed the name of the band from Diamond Lie (which was their seriously hairspray metal incarnation) to Alice in Chains, and he was a really nice guy. He was tripping pretty heavy on acid at the time, and I was doing a radio show in Bellingham called The Happy Death Jam and he thought the name was the best thing ever (at least while he was tripping right then...)

The other time I sort of hung out with him was at a post show party in their practice space, where he was fucked up and accusing my friend of calling him a faggot when he was putting makeup on in the bathroom before the show. I had to intercede and explain that my friend wouldn't call anyone a faggot under any circumstance and it somehow cooled him down.

So when I heard about his death way back when it was weird since it was somebody I'd known a small amount and seen play a few times and enjoyed. Never knew the bass player, but weird hearing about people from that old scene dying at 44 when that's how old I am, and I still feel like life is just getting started in lots of ways.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2011, 05:02 PM   #24
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I was just rocking out to my Facelift cassette today. It's a jam.

R.I.P.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth