Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped, best album since Dirty?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.17.2006, 12:26 AM   #81
Amaranth
bad moon rising

Amaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud ofAmaranth has much to be proud of
I think that Rather Ripped is excellent!!!!! I got it on the 13th and was pleased that I waited. I began listening to this gem on the drive home and was impressed. This album is not shabby. There sure are a lot of haters here on this Sonic Youth site. Sonic Youth is not making the same album over and over again. For a band that has been around for like 28 years I think thats pretty fucking respectable. I am pretty sure those who hate Rather Ripped so, are simply discruntled and just want something to bitch about, and why bitching about one of the greatest bands that you are supposedly fans of (this being a fan site) there are some extreemly harsh opinions. Ofcorse everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and damnit!, this album is very good!!!
Amaranth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2006, 12:30 AM   #82
Laila
the end of the ugly

Laila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's assesLaila kicks all y'all's asses
sleepin around is way better live. and yeah it would be good without vocals too.

PM me please

Facebook- Laila Virani

Laila is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2006, 12:19 PM   #83
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
I always liked 'Or' ..really cool closer. Its like the quietest Sonic Youth closer ever. Sleepin' Around is a bit shite in the lyrics but I think its kind of supposed to be intentionally bluesy-shallow kind of like plastic sun.

When i first heard the album i had this hypothesis that they wrote all the songs and then kim and thurston traded all their songs...

And as for rather ripped being such a sick summer album i totally agree....I am also quite down with the ice cream/final fantasy + rather ripped deal too...
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2006, 12:31 PM   #84
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad
I always liked 'Or' ..really cool closer. Its like the quietest Sonic Youth closer ever. Sleepin' Around is a bit shite in the lyrics but I think its kind of supposed to be intentionally bluesy-shallow kind of like plastic sun.

When i first heard the album i had this hypothesis that they wrote all the songs and then kim and thurston traded all their songs...

And as for rather ripped being such a sick summer album i totally agree....I am also quite down with the ice cream/final fantasy + rather ripped deal too...

Hell yeah! I'm going to kick off one of those in a few minutes. It's nice having my new mixer now too, so when the record's over I can switch right to the awesome Nobuo Uematsu music in the game.

Old 06.17.2006, 02:39 PM   #85
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
'Rather Ripped' is mostly awful. There are some quite good songs on there but they get boring quickly and the rest just make me cringe, mainly because of really annoying vocals and pretentious and annoying lyrics that Sonic Youth sometimes do. Although I am missing Nycg&F and Murray Street I would say its the worst album since 'Dirty' (a lot of the songs have the same problem of annoying vocals/lyrics) as that was a really bad album too.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2006, 02:44 PM   #86
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
After a few more listens, RR seems like a good record that's just different, not bad at all.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2006, 03:17 PM   #87
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, this album is great, not as good as nurse, because that was as good as Daydream in my opinion. I like it better than Murray Street though.

And I also don't think Sonic Youth has made the same album 3 times. RR has a similar sound to Nurse and Murray Street but it has a totally different vibe to it. People always complain that SY keeps making the same album and yet, most of the time those are the same people who want SY to make albums like Sister and EVOL again. If you miss those albums go listen to them again.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 12:28 AM   #88
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
'Rather Ripped' is mostly awful. There are some quite good songs on there but they get boring quickly and the rest just make me cringe, mainly because of really annoying vocals and pretentious and annoying lyrics that Sonic Youth sometimes do. Although I am missing Nycg&F and Murray Street I would say its the worst album since 'Dirty' (a lot of the songs have the same problem of annoying vocals/lyrics) as that was a really bad album too.

See? Best album since Dirty. It just depends on whether you have good or bad taste.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 01:27 AM   #89
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Worst album since dirty.

Dirty is their flat out worst album either way.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 01:58 AM   #90
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah Dirty sucks....those songs are really lame. I heard Kurt Cobain wrote most of them during the "grunge days." Wish Fullfillment....now there's a dumb song. Don't even get me started on Purr or Chapel Hill....gag. Kim's lyrics don't make any sense and Steve doesn't do anything worthwhile on the drums. That album isn't even Sonic Youth really....they played pretty much what Kennedy from Alternative Nation said to play. Boy, that album really sucked!!!!
Old 06.18.2006, 10:12 AM   #91
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah I agree with atsonicpark and krastian. 'Dirty' always seems to me like a parody of Sonic Youth or some shit band who have gone beyond being influenced by them and are just blatantly copying them. Though I would say that 'Wish Fulfillment' and 'Chapel Hill' are some of the better songs on that album though the lyrics are fucking shite, songs like '100%', 'Youth Against Fascism', 'Drunken Butterlfly' and 'Nic Fit' (why did they even put this on the album? It's only a cover) are really why I hate that album.
Old 06.18.2006, 10:16 AM   #92
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
Yeah I agree with atsonicpark and krastian. 'Dirty' always seems to me like a parody of Sonic Youth or some shit band who have gone beyond being influenced by them and are just blatantly copying them. Though I would say that 'Wish Fulfillment' and 'Chapel Hill' are some of the better songs on that album though the lyrics are fucking shite, songs like '100%', 'Youth Against Fascism', 'Drunken Butterlfly' and 'Nic Fit' (why did they even put this on the album? It's only a cover) are really why I hate that album.

Dirty sags at points, especially towards the end. I think Goo is better then dirty, just better songs. The really heavy stuff on dirty is cool though..100%, Swimsuit Issue, Drunken Butterfly.

On the Strip is really cool too.
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 10:24 AM   #93
Lurker
invito al cielo

Anyway back to criticising 'Rather Ripped'. 'Do You Believe in Rapture' isn't too bad but gets boring pretty quickly and why the fuck did they have to make it a religious song!? For fucks sake, religion and music DO NOT MIX! It's just annoying!

'Turqoise Boy' is incredibly crap. So annoying and sentimental it makes me want to vomit, same with 'The Neutral'. Same with 'Lights Out', "She scans the room for a star to consume", these lyrics with the way they are sung is just really fucking crap.
Old 06.18.2006, 10:25 AM   #94
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad
Dirty sags at points, especially towards the end. I think Goo is better then dirty, just better songs. The really heavy stuff on dirty is cool though..100%, Swimsuit Issue, Drunken Butterfly.

On the Strip is really cool too.

Yeah Goo is so much better then Dirty
Old 06.18.2006, 11:02 AM   #95
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
What crawled up your ***?
Old 06.18.2006, 01:22 PM   #96
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
Yeah Dirty sucks....those songs are really lame. I heard Kurt Cobain wrote most of them during the "grunge days." Wish Fullfillment....now there's a dumb song. Don't even get me started on Purr or Chapel Hill....gag. Kim's lyrics don't make any sense and Steve doesn't do anything worthwhile on the drums. That album isn't even Sonic Youth really....they played pretty much what Kennedy from Alternative Nation said to play. Boy, that album really sucked!!!!
Jesus fucking Christ....you guys must really be retarded. Ever heard of drunken sarcasm? It just seems like people are always like "Oh Dirty sucked....it was their "alternative album" that they made to be part of the "grunge mainstream." "Yeah man, they really sold out on that one." I never in my life thought that people would say that Dirty sucked on a SONIC YOUTH FORUM. None of their albums "sucked." Whatever, I was just sick of always biting my tongue about all the negativity on this board, let alone towards SY. Fuck it.
Old 06.18.2006, 01:44 PM   #97
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Jesus fucking Christ....you guys must really be retarded. Ever heard of drunken sarcasm? It just seems like people are always like "Oh Dirty sucked....it was their "alternative album" that they made to be part of the "grunge mainstream." "Yeah man, they really sold out on that one." I never in my life thought that people would say that Dirty sucked on a SONIC YOUTH FORUM. None of their albums "sucked." Whatever, I was just sick of always biting my tongue about all the negativity on this board, let alone towards SY. Fuck it.

I've heard of sarcasm, don't know what difference being drunk would make. Although you sounded pretty stupid mantioning Kurt Cobain etc, I was just agreeing with your view that it was shite. I didn't say anything about it being their "alternative album" or them selling out etc. Just because someone likes a band doesn't mean they will like everything that that band produces. Why bite your tongue? Just express yourself, I thought thats what forums are for?
Old 06.18.2006, 01:54 PM   #98
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Dirty was a good album.
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2006, 02:02 PM   #99
krastian
invito al cielo

That was the whole idea....to be stupid. The references I made obviously didn't make any sense. I didn't mean you specifically....this view point seems to come up all the time on here and on the old board.....I just think it's insane. Stick around for awhile and you will see all the repetitive bs about SY sucking and whatnot and you'll see what I mean by "biting my tongue" and just ignoring everything. If you would try and tell people to go away/put people in their place about this crap all the time you'd go crazy. Just ask anybody on here who truly loves this band, which to me is the reason to be here. Yes, I know that a lot of people don't like EVERYTHING they did, that's fine. It just gets fucking old.
Old 06.18.2006, 02:16 PM   #100
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
That was the whole idea....to be stupid. The references I made obviously didn't make any sense. I didn't mean you specifically....this view point seems to come up all the time on here and on the old board.....I just think it's insane. Stick around for awhile and you will see all the repetitive bs about SY sucking and whatnot and you'll see what I mean by "biting my tongue" and just ignoring everything. If you would try and tell people to go away/put people in their place about this crap all the time you'd go crazy. Just ask anybody on here who truly loves this band, which to me is the reason to be here. Yes, I know that a lot of people don't like EVERYTHING they did, that's fine. It just gets fucking old.

Yeah, well, just thought you were being an idiot, didn't pick up on the sarcasm. I am missing a few albums but apart from 'Dirty' and 'Rather Ripped' and a few odd songs I love their stuff and it's not like I dislike everything on those albums.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth