Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The best compilations ever
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.16.2008, 06:00 AM   #21
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses
1.Blasting Concept (SST)

2.P.E.A.C.E ,the best H.Core comp ever?

3.Devastate to Liberate

4.Let Them Eat Jellybeans

5.A Texas Trip

Bought in my youth still listen to them!.
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 06:19 AM   #22
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
stuff i've been enjoying listening to recently

Fort Worth Teen Scene
Utreg Punx
Bullshit Detector
Xpressway Pile Up
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 06:22 AM   #23
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by me.
2.P.E.A.C.E ,the best H.Core comp ever?
Yep , a great one.
It made me realise that the good bands were not only english or american.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 09:57 AM   #24
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Love and Napalm.
With 2 cool unreleased Cherubs songs.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 10:03 AM   #25
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
No New York
The Complete Stax/Volt Singles 1959-1968
Pebbles Vol.1
Crescent City Soul: The Sound of New Orleans 1947-1974
Nuggets Vol. 1

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 11:36 AM   #26
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Let's say , your top 5.
Or your top 200 if you can't help making lists.

1) The Grateful Dead "Views from the Vault Box Set"

This collection of several bad ass fucking dead shows from the late 80s and early 90s are beyond essential, in fact, it is one of the finest collections of music since the Smithosian blues recordings from the Delta...

This material reveals how the Grateful Dead are the finest performing band in the history of music. I said it, so there!

2) Ethiopiques Volume 8 "Swingin Addis: 1968-1974"

Ethiopian blues, jazz and dance music was the Emperor Selassie I's last and final gift to the people of Ethiopia, and if it weren't for the decade of terror and civil war the followed, it would have continued further up to this day.

though Alemayehu Eshete and Getachew Merkurya are still around today.

3) Trojan Records Roots Box Set One:

This is thee collection of essential studio one rhythms and a taste of the crucial roots artists of the early 1970s, though it is farely limited in scope being only the "trojan" cuts, and not having the majority of the scene which were not affiliated. Still, there are some significant artists on this mix, it is a must have for roots rock reggae.

4) Jimi Hendrex Box Set

Yes, you simply must have this. it is the perfect mix of live tunes, alternate studio mixes, limited b-sides, and unreleased studio material. Get it get it get it, it is the essential compliment to a collection of Hendrix albums.

5) The Makaveli Bootlegs

These studio remixes and b-sides from Tupacs massive studio work between 1994 and 1996 are a significant contribution to west coast hip hop, however, as with all underground, you have to be here to know. You have to have these to understand, and they are not always available, and many folks have not heard of them, though there are sixteen to be sure! and EVERYBODY is rappin on these tapes, it is truly a complition of crucial early 1990s rap and hip hop in this regard.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 11:47 AM   #27
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
5) The Makaveli Bootlegs

These studio remixes and b-sides from Tupacs massive studio work between 1994 and 1996 are a significant contribution to west coast hip hop, however, as with all underground, you have to be here to know. You have to have these to understand, and they are not always available, and many folks have not heard of them, though there are sixteen to be sure! and EVERYBODY is rappin on these tapes, it is truly a complition of crucial early 1990s rap and hip hop in this regard.

Good, good call man. There's still a lot of these I need to hunt down. But yeah, yr right. What a fruitful time in his career. And of course, it would only end in tragedy. I'm glad to see someone else on this board appreciating Pac's music. I've always found his music, and life in general, quite captivating.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 11:49 AM   #28
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Good, good call man. There's still a lot of these I need to hunt down. But yeah, yr right. What a fruitful time in his career. And of course, it would only end in tragedy. I'm glad to see someone else on this board appreciating Pac's music. I've always found his music, and life in general, quite captivating.

Makaveli is the Christ of Hip Hop.

Old 10.16.2008, 12:16 PM   #29
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Such Friends totally reminded me of one of my goto compilations:

Don't let yer meat loaf.
Old 10.16.2008, 12:38 PM   #30
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I really like the JUST CANT GET ENOUGH: NEW WAVE HALLOWEEN comp. Tons of good stuff. Ramones, SY, Misfits, etc.
Old 10.16.2008, 12:49 PM   #31
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
No Thanks! the 70's Punk Rebellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
Guitarrorists.
There are a lot of good tracks on this , eventually by bands I don't enjoy otherwise ( Flaming Lips )

those fucks cheated. notice there are no tracks by "sonic youth".
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 01:29 PM   #32
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

Oh - -- I totally forgot about this collection:

Burning Ambitions: A History of Punk

This is a fucking amazing compilation.

Also worth mentioning are the soundtracks to Repo Man and Return of the Living Dead.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
Old 10.16.2008, 01:49 PM   #33
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I was leaving soundtracks out, but yes RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD is one of my fav soundtracks of all time.
Old 10.16.2008, 01:54 PM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Rob Instigator's comps to love

Drilling The Curve - com[pilation of early and mid 90's Houston noise rockin shit. Charalambides, Dry Nod, Rusted Shut, Mike Gunn, fucking awesome.

Devil's Jukebox - great comp. 7 (is it 7?) singles in one box, maybe 10. rapeman, sonic youth, big bkack, all sorts of fucking aggro noisy shit.
Old 10.16.2008, 04:46 PM   #35
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
All I look for in a compilation (as I'm not really a 'compilation person') is something that's like a great jukebox, that you could put on at a party; and that means I don't need to buy a Best Of of an artist just for a couple of songs (i.e., buying an Only One's album just for Another Girl Another Planet).

Phil Spector's Wall Of Sound Retrospective (1 CD): I've got the version which doesn't include the Christmas CD, which is a bonus as that just reminds you that he produced a lot of shmaltz too.. CD1 is just an obvious selection of tracks really, Be My Baby, Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah (my favourite), Baby I Love You, Then He Kissed me, River Deep Mountain High. It's got them all.

The Best Punk Anthems... Ever!: unlike the best rock anthems ever, etc, this one is comprehensive as far as commercial-ish punk-ish anthems go: Ever Fallen In Love, Another Girl Another Planet, Do Anything You Want To Do, C30 C60 C90, Teenage Kicks, New Rose, INTO THE VALLEY, Roadrunner and a lot of new-wave (Making Plants For Nigel, Marquee Moon).

Nuggets is a bit overrated in my opinion. They could have picked better songs to represent the artists, i.e., The Seeds' Mr Farmer is far superior to Pushing Too Hard, but there's some good stuff on it regardless.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 06:15 PM   #36
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Somehow this thread has somehow slithered into a "box set" topic as well. Here is one of my favorite box sets:

In my defense, the box sets I posted are compilations, because the Dead videos include music from several artists performed by the dead, as does the hendrix box set. Further, the makaveli bootlegs have everybody rapping on them so they are also a compilation of sorts..

Old 10.16.2008, 07:46 PM   #37
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

I love Strictly For 4 My Niggas. The contrast between a song like Souljah's Revenge and something like Keep Ya Head Up, the genuine emotion in both, does make him quite a captivating figure. He has a good voice. Too little quality control though.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2008, 08:21 PM   #38
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
Nuggets

Sub Pop 200

Rockin Bones

No Thanks: The Seventies Punk Rebellion

Singles Soundtrack

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2008, 02:43 AM   #39
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I forgot...

blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2008, 07:29 AM   #40
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRA
I love Strictly For 4 My Niggas. The contrast between a song like Souljah's Revenge and something like Keep Ya Head Up, the genuine emotion in both, does make him quite a captivating figure. He has a good voice. Too little quality control though.

That's actually what I love most about him... he'd make a track like "So Many Tearz" which is mournful and honestly vulnerable. And then he'd do something like "Hit Em Up" which is so angry and violent. And yet, critics were quick to yell "hypocrite", when really he was just being human. Remember, he was all about throwing things down on tape immediately. Imagine if every feeling you had was recorded as it happened (not after you had time to cool-down or rationalize). I think he was big on documenting human emotion while it was real, not later from a different view.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth