Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Reccomend Me Some Live Hendrix
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.22.2006, 06:21 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
After watching Live at Monterey again i realize i need some more live stuff of his cause its always so different, exeperimental and innovative.

I already have Live at Winterland and Band of Gypsys (which blew me away)

So what can you guys reccomend that it some peak hendrix live material?
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 06:34 PM   #2
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
For legit stuff.....

The Berkeley May 30, 1970 2nd set show is a good one. Lots of stuff is out of print that's been available. Or you can check at jimi-hendrix.com and go to the Dagger Records section which has various live shows...some are bootish quality.

Check ebay.

My favorite, still bootleg really, is the 2-24-69 Royal Albert Hall show. The best I've heard is the 'Listen to this Eric' version.

If you can find it, the cd entitled...'The Jimi Hendrix Concerts' is a great compilation. I'm not the hugest fan of Woodstock which is easily available...on DVD and CD.

Here's my list of boots....short but sweet. Some are legit.

Jimi Hendrix Monterey 6-18-67 SDB 9.5
JImi Hendrix Stockholm-stages 9/5/67 SDB 9.5
Jimi Hendrix Paris 10-9-67/San Fran. 2-4-68 Dagger SDB 8.0-9.0
Jimi Hendrix Paris-stages 1/29/68 SDB 9.0
Jimi Hendrix NYC 3/17/68 SDB 8.75
Jimi Hendrix NYC 4/9/68 w/BB King&others SDB 8.75
Jimi Hendrix 5-10-68 NYC Fillmore East AUD 7.75-8.5
Jimi Hendrix Miami 5/18/68 SDB 8.5 w/Elec.Lady outtakes-1968 A,D.
JImi Hendrix(4) Winterland S.F. 10/10,12/68 SDB 8.25-9.0
Jimi Hendrix(2) Stockholm 1/9/69, both shows Low. Gen. SDB 9.25
Jimi Hendrix(2) Stockholm 1/9/69, both shows SDB 9.25 TISDU
Jimi Hendrix 1-13-69 Cologne AUD 7.0-7.75
Jimi Hendrix(2) 2/24/69 Listen to this Eric SDB 9.75
Jimi Hendrix 4/24/69 LA Forum-lifelines SDB 9.75
Jimi Hendrix 5/24/69 San Diego-stages SDB 9.5
Jimi Hendrix(3) 5/30/70 Berkeley-sdchk,1st, 2nd Set "Fuzz" SDB 8.25-9.0
Jimi Hendrix 5-01,03-68 Voodoo Sessions SDB 8.0-8.5
Jimi Hendrix Mess. 9 to the Univ., extended takes Low Gen. SDB 9.25
Jimi Hendrix BBC Sessions FanMade....SDB 8.0-9.25

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 06:36 PM   #3
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
it's weird you start this thread because i spent all day listening to live at the fillmore east, which is awesome, and live at woodstock, which gets a bad rap in my opinion because it also awesome. woodstock has more ups and downs than some of his more acclaimed live stuff but it has some really brilliant moments
Old 10.22.2006, 06:37 PM   #4
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Try to find or download the Stages box set. 4 discs of Hendrix at his absolute best.

Woodstock is essential if you don't have it already.

The Berkeley Concerts

and the Box of Gypsys, which is basically all 4 shows that would later be compiled to make the Band of Gypsys LP.

There are literally thousands of bootlegs and shit out there, but these are the first to come to mind. Woodstock is always a given, but it probably was his best performance.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 06:41 PM   #5
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietzer123
it's weird you start this thread because i spent all day listening to live at the fillmore east, which is awesome, and live at woodstock, which gets a bad rap in my opinion because it also awesome. woodstock has more ups and downs than some of his more acclaimed live stuff but it has some really brilliant moments

Woodstock is a highlight out of all that's been mentioned so far. But they're all great.
Old 10.22.2006, 06:55 PM   #6
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
Hmmm...that's weird you guys glorify the Woodstock performance so much. That's cool, I just find it...not as inticing to me as others. But I'm not dissing it...it's just not as essential in my book.

The DVD titled..a film about Jimi Hendrix is GREAT !!! Stages is a fantastic 4 disc collection TheDOM mentioned. So much of his live material has been legitimately available but has been discontinued...Weird 'right's issues'...but supposedly the HendrixFamily is gonna pour it out...eventually. I don't know what their wait is....so much stuff !!!!!

My absolute favorite EVER performance is 'Hear My Train a comin' from Berkeley. BUT it's from the 1st set and not on the legitimately available Berkeley concert. You can find it on 'Blues'...it used to be on the 'Rainbow Bridge' vinyl LP. But that is my quintessential Hendrix live performance....best version I've ever heard of the killerest blues-rock...IMHO !

Miles Davis
Old 10.22.2006, 07:06 PM   #7
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by against_the_grain

My absolute favorite EVER performance is 'Hear My Train a comin' from Berkeley. BUT it's from the 1st set and not on the legitimately available Berkeley concert. You can find it on 'Blues'...it used to be on the 'Rainbow Bridge' vinyl LP. But that is my quintessential Hendrix live performance....best version I've ever heard of the killerest blues-rock...IMHO !

Yeah, that is a damn good performance.

It is also on the The Berkeley DVD, but they really fucked that video up with some lame ass editing (during a killer Machine Gun, it cuts randomly to footage of hippies and cops throwing smoke grenades/ and during Star-Spangled Banner it keeps cutting back to a little boy playing the saxophone).

The DVD is cheap though, so that is a plus. and it is worth it alone for the afore mention Hear My Train a-Comin', the Voodoo Child, Purple Haze and Jimi playin' Johnny B. Goode.
Old 10.22.2006, 07:13 PM   #8
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Jimi playing Hear My Train a Comin' with a 12 string acoustic on a video (and dvd) I own, is one of the best 'live' performances of his. It's fantastic. I used to watch it over and over as a kid.
Old 10.22.2006, 07:17 PM   #9
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Jimi playing Hear My Train a Comin' with a 12 string acoustic on a video (and dvd) I own, is one of the best 'live' performances of his. It's fantastic. I used to watch it over and over as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WQAG_I1q6I

Absolutly brilliant...

You can probably tell, I am obsessed with Jimi to the point of insanity...
Old 10.22.2006, 07:19 PM   #10
Norma J
invito al cielo

A Jimi obsession is a fine thing to have.
Old 10.22.2006, 07:24 PM   #11
against_the_grain
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J

That's on the film I mentioned.

Get this !

Miles Davis
Old 10.22.2006, 07:33 PM   #12
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
HENDRIX, JIMITitle:The LA Forum ConcertLabel:RADIOACTIVE RECORDS (UK)Format:CDPrice:$16.00Catalog #:RR 052CD
Recorded 4/26/69
LA Forum
Inglewood, CA

"If a live album had been released before his death, this is the one that Jimi Hendrix would have chosen ahead of all the others. In fact, Hendrix and Eddie Kramer actually prepared mixes of the show, but unfortunately their efforts never saw the light of day in their entirety until now. So here it is. Just two months after the legendary Albert Hall concert in London, Hendrix and the band hit LA six dates into what was to be The Experience's last tour of America. And what a concert it was. Against a backdrop of a belligerent audience doing their best to provoke the police, we are privileged to hear Jimi deliver one of the finest live performances of his career. His dry musical and verbal wit are a delight (''scuse me while I kiss that policeman' he sings during Purple Haze), his timing impeccable, and his tone and control simply sensational. Each song is a tour de force with Hendrix, Redding and Mitchell unreservedly giving their all to produce a truly memorable performance. "

it at forced exposure

http://www.forcedexposure.com/artists/hendrix.jimi.html

I shared this with you for a reason, TheDom. Sheesh, you can never tell anyone anything.
I've always known it to be the absolute best, and when I go and look it up, it turns out that the copy says it's the best, confirming what I already knew to be case. Ipso fucking Facto it's the fucking best.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 07:37 PM   #13
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
That's on the film I mentioned.

Get this !

I've got it.
Old 10.22.2006, 07:41 PM   #14
against_the_grain
stalker

Here's this one.....from Eric Burdon's (The Animals) personal collection.

Miles Davis
Old 10.22.2006, 07:41 PM   #15
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I love that part in the Jimi Hendrix documentary where the French brother that knew Jimi is going on about the "alpha jerks" while discussing Hendrix's death.

I used to have a videotape of it. I've see that thing so many times.
He plays Hear My Train a' Comin' & Angel on the 12-string...
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2006, 08:02 PM   #16
Norma J
invito al cielo

I'm most definitely going to whack some Jimi dvds on when I get home.
Old 10.22.2006, 08:12 PM   #17
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Check out live at filmore east, it's a 2-disc set on new years day. PM me and I can probably send it to you.
Old 10.22.2006, 08:47 PM   #18
against_the_grain
stalker

I've taken every version of 'Hear My Train 'a Comin' I have...and made a disc of it. The earliest version I have is from the late '67 session on the BBC archives thing. The audience show in May of '68 at the Fillmore East is almost as fine as the Berkeley May '70 show. One of the finest audience recordings as well. Sheeit, they're all good. I just missed seeing Jimi in Honolulu on Aug. 1, 1970. I just couldn't get to the concert hall and my parents wouldn't take me. I regret not hitchiking to this day...

And yeah TheDom, that chopped up version on the Berkeley DVD pisses me off. Ya know, one of my favorite parts of that DVD is when they show those 13 to 14 year old girls against the stage rocking out...right under Jimi. I think they focus on them during Voodoo Child the most. Just great ! I was against the stage like that for so many shows I went to in the early 70s when I was 14 and 15. Just like that...chest high, close enough to touch !

Not sure if I've ever posted this here...but it's one of my favorite Jimi pics....with Buddy Miles...and look !! Buddy's got a head full of Pomade cream !! hahahahah.....love this..it's a pretty rare picture....you oughta save it ! It's way before Buddy joined Jimi in The Band of Gypsy's.

Miles Davis
Old 10.22.2006, 10:43 PM   #19
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
And yeah TheDom, that chopped up version on the Berkeley DVD pisses me off. Ya know, one of my favorite parts of that DVD is when they show those 13 to 14 year old girls against the stage rocking out...right under Jimi. I think they focus on them during Voodoo Child the most. Just great ! I was against the stage like that for so many shows I went to in the early 70s when I was 14 and 15. Just like that...chest high, close enough to touch !

That's my pet dislike with music footage from the 60s and 70s. They don't know what to film. They were stuck on them girls for too long, and I'm like "I don't care, show the band". Also alot of footage them days they'd spend way too much time just on the strumming/picking hand, which shows you very little, I do ike though when they focus on the fret hand. Or they focus too much on just Jimi's head. Meh.
Old 10.23.2006, 08:44 PM   #20
against_the_grain
stalker

A pretty good collection for the uninitiated to Hendrix is this one...

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...14839105&BAB=E

Disc one is studio stuff...disc 2 is a live compilation. It has some from Monterey, Woodstock, the Berkeley shows and more....it even has the 'Hear my train' version I like so much....I'd recommend this first...to someone who has NO Hendrix....but then..I'd say...get everything he's put out..after that.

Miles Davis

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth