Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Favorite Song on Least favorite SY Album?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.29.2013, 10:31 AM   #41
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I must be the only one that saw o'rourke as DILUTING the sonic youth "sound".
Old 06.29.2013, 11:58 AM   #42
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Yes. You are. Shame on you.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2013, 01:12 PM   #43
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
No I agree, plus if Jim O'Rourke hadn't joined Thurston Moore would never have started banging his girlfriend
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2013, 02:00 PM   #44
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Meh. Jim ENHANCED that sound. He came in in 1997/98 and was in my opinion part of the genesis of A Thousand Leaves/NYC Ghosts and Flowers/Murray Street/Nurse which all have a similar sound. Those albums are more free-associative and jammy than other things. I think Jim was as important a shift in direction and evolution as was bringing in Steve. While I actually really like RR (especially live, those were some great shows) and The Eternal, it is clear that the band wasn't quite sure which direction to go without him, those albums sounded like a Washing Machine era revival, which I think perfectly reflects how much Jim changed the sound.

The catch is its very different music than the 80s/90s Sonic Youth. If THAT era is what you dig, like a lot of folks here, than the Jim era is a let down or distraction. Me? I think the that 1998-2005 is the ZENITH! Its like they combined Day Dream Nation and Washing Machine and then let it sit around and play guitar on mushrooms..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2013, 05:45 PM   #45
dasx
children of satan

dasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Meh. Jim ENHANCED that sound. He came in in 1997/98 and was in my opinion part of the genesis of A Thousand Leaves/NYC Ghosts and Flowers/Murray Street/Nurse which all have a similar sound. Those albums are more free-associative and jammy than other things. I think Jim was as important a shift in direction and evolution as was bringing in Steve. While I actually really like RR (especially live, those were some great shows) and The Eternal, it is clear that the band wasn't quite sure which direction to go without him, those albums sounded like a Washing Machine era revival, which I think perfectly reflects how much Jim changed the sound.

The catch is its very different music than the 80s/90s Sonic Youth. If THAT era is what you dig, like a lot of folks here, than the Jim era is a let down or distraction. Me? I think the that 1998-2005 is the ZENITH! Its like they combined Day Dream Nation and Washing Machine and then let it sit around and play guitar on mushrooms..

I like both, 80's era Sonic Youth and Jim era. In fact I like almost everything they've done.
dasx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2013, 05:52 PM   #46
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
it is clear that the band wasn't quite sure which direction to go without him

This is what I meant but I couldn't have said it better myself.
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2013, 05:56 AM   #47
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Sonic Youth the EP isn't any better than Rather Ripped to be honest.

It's all just opinion but I love that first EP. It's not the best thing they ever did but it does include a couple of my fave SY songs. There's a definite energy to it, as well as being, for me, anyway, their most flat out 'urban' sounding record - even compared with DDN. There's a clubby feel to a lot of it, similar in some ways to Talking Heads or PIL. I just don't hear anything in Rather Ripped at all.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2013, 09:13 AM   #48
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I always had mixed feelings about his involvement, so I kind of get what you mean. I loved (and still love) SYR 3. But NYCG&F and Murray Street never did that much for me, and those were two consecutive albums, so I was starting to get down about their sound at that time. Some of the laptop stuff on NYCG&F rubbed me wrong, and I especially didn't like seeing it on stage. (He did have the laptop on stage, didn't he?)

But then Sonic Nurse kicked some serious ass, and I peed right next to Jim at a Maxwell's show, so that was all good.

When he left, I was glad. Overall, I think his involvement was good, and it added a unique chapter to SY's history, but I'm glad it was just a short phase.

I never realized until reading the post above (or maybe I forgot) that he had anything to do with A Thousand Leaves, which is a great record. If he had significant influence on that record, then that's another plus.
Old 06.30.2013, 09:44 AM   #49
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
no jim didn't have anything to do with a thousand leaves.

also i think jim came in a little late in the making of nyc g f whereas with only murray st and sonic nurse he was a full integrated member.
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2013, 09:57 AM   #50
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Human
I would suggest that the period '95 - '05 is their finest era. Washing Machine to Sonic Nurse (including SYR's, Made in USA etc & solo projects) is the longest unbroken run of consistent quality in their catalogue. That hot streak predates O'Rouke's involvement but I'm sure his input helped sustain it.

I would also agree that there are varying degrees of mediocrity/less strong material across most of their output. There are no poor albums as such - just albums where the quality/mediocrity ratio is more clearly pronounced.
A little detail about this opinion: Made In Usa is recorded in 85-86, but released -95. And naturally it sounds more EVOL-Sister era than nineties.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2013, 09:59 AM   #51
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by themawt71
no jim didn't have anything to do with a thousand leaves.

also i think jim came in a little late in the making of nyc g f whereas with only murray st and sonic nurse he was a full integrated member.
Also little details about this: they made SYR3 before ATL with Jim. Even Jim wasnīt with ATL, I think SY got influences from him already. Also Jimīs credited a producer to NYC Ghosts.
Old 06.30.2013, 10:54 AM   #52
Blue Human
little trouble girl

Blue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
A little detail about this opinion: Made In Usa is recorded in 85-86, but released -95. And naturally it sounds more EVOL-Sister era than nineties.

Sorry if this reads as sloppy or unclear.
I'm purely stating that in terms of what the band released during this time, this is the period I view to be the most consistent. I'm not passing comment on when something was written or minted, or a sound aesthetic from a period.

If I thought, for example, that '06 - now was the hot streak, I'd be including Smart Bar in there, despite it (clearly) being from another time/differing sound. Some of Psychic Hearts was recorded in '94 but I'd included that in '95 - '05. Melbourne Direct was recorded '04 but released '06 so its out as RR breaks the streak.

I simply meant that everything released during '95-'05, to me, was golden. Every time something "new" appeared on the shelves it was of a high caliber. As much as I rate all of their output, I've always been underwhelmed by something which has broken the spell (Into the Groovey anyone?). But for that decade, they seemed untouchable.
Blue Human is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2013, 02:07 PM   #53
dasx
children of satan

dasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm purely stating that in terms of what the band released during this time, this is the period I view to be the most consistent. I'm not passing comment on when something was written or minted, or a sound aesthetic from a period.

If I thought, for example, that '06 - now was the hot streak, I'd be including Smart Bar in there, despite it (clearly) being from another time/differing sound. Some of Psychic Hearts was recorded in '94 but I'd included that in '95 - '05. Melbourne Direct was recorded '04 but released '06 so its out as RR breaks the streak.

I simply meant that everything released during '95-'05, to me, was golden. Every time something "new" appeared on the shelves it was of a high caliber. As much as I rate all of their output, I've always been underwhelmed by something which has broken the spell (Into the Groovey anyone?). But for that decade, they seemed untouchable.

I count Made In USA to late 80's era, 'cause that's when it was recorded (just like in jazz, for example in Coltrane discography all albums are organized by recording date, not by release date) and also to me Melbourne Direct is part of O'Rourke era.
dasx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2013, 10:58 PM   #54
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:

Point in my later reply is that are you saying EVOL & Sister era (or the eighties) are not as great as the nineties? I canīt understand if youīre saying Made In Usa great, why isnīt EVOL & Sister, because in my mind those three albums are very close together. Also Smart Bar has lots of same feelings & sounds.
Old 07.01.2013, 05:00 AM   #55
Blue Human
little trouble girl

Blue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's assesBlue Human kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Point in my later reply is that are you saying EVOL & Sister era (or the eighties) are not as great as the nineties? I canīt understand if youīre saying Made In Usa great, why isnīt EVOL & Sister, because in my mind those three albums are very close together. Also Smart Bar has lots of same feelings & sounds

I think BMR - DDN is also a period of exceptional quality, I love those records. However - experienced in real time (i.e. as those releases came out) you get Into the Groovey (which I'm not keen on) which spoils the consecutive run of top releases.

Quote:
I count Made In USA to late 80's era, 'cause that's when it was recorded (just like in jazz, for example in Coltrane discography all albums are organized by recording date, not by release date) and also to me Melbourne Direct is part of O'Rourke era.

Ok, but i"m NOT talking about eras. I totally concur that Melbourne is O'Rourke era. I was just drawing an arbitrary boundary around a series of releases which, in real time, I was consistently impressed with. If you'd experienced Tranes releases as they came out, you'd have got Coltranes Sound & Ascension released within a year of each other. Stylistically from very different eras, both good records, recorded 5 years and several stylistic changes apart. This could still be viewed as a run of releases. A massive reason why jazz discogs are viewed by session date is the very common practice of labels releasing sides from previous sessions once an artist has moved to another label, maybe capitalising on said artists current popularity (Miles' Workin' Cookin' Steamin' Relaxin' being classic examples as Columbia essentially did all the marketing leg work for Prestige).

If the slew of archival releases everyone is hoping for do eventually surface, this chronological by session approach my be the best way to view SY's catalogue in future, especially by those who didn't experience the band at the time. But, as an uniformed 15 year old in '95, I got WM & Made in USA in the same year, and enjoyed them both - experienced in real time.
Blue Human is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2013, 06:16 AM   #56
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
.I think BMR - DDN is also a period of exceptional quality, I love those records. However - experienced in real time (i.e. as those releases came out) you get Into the Groovey (which I'm not keen on) which spoils the consecutive run of top releases.
Well, I think Ciccone Youth is not meant to be taken totally serious, I think it was kind of "therapy"-project of SY and they just wanted to have some fun and played with samplers. But on the other hand, I really love Whitey Album, there are some very great tunes like G-force, Macbeth. I really also like Into the Groovey, although Iīm not big Madonna-fan. I think CY made it much better than Madonna!

To me there are no "golden" periods. I think the Sy Golden time started in EVOL and not ended since. Of course I love also those first three albums, but I think it was their searching time and they found their true "self" in EVOL. EVOL, Sister, Washing Machine & ATL are only masterpieces, BMR is not masterpiece to me (as it is to some others).
Old 07.01.2013, 09:46 AM   #57
zelocia
bad moon rising

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
In my personal opinion, I think that they did have a time period of unprecedented greatness. That time period, for me, is EVOL to Dirty (including Ciccone Youth). The only other time in the band's career that comes close to the this period is the O'Rourke era (NYCG&F to Sonic Nurse). All albums before, between, and after those periods I have mixed feelings about. I always take their albums for what they are not what they're not but in terms of quality, nothing can touch 1986 - 1992 and to a lesser extent, 2000 - 2004.
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth