Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Nas vs. Bob Dylan
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.17.2006, 02:21 PM   #141
Disgruntled Youth
the end of the ugly

Disgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's asses
My two cents, as if it matters. Nas only has one full album more like an ep Illmatic that is all good material. Every track on that album is hot, the thing with Nas is he admited on a vibe interview or The Source, I forgot which of the magazines I read it in. That @ the Source awards he was wearing a Gap T & Biggie was looking paid so he went with a more crowd pleasing rap style with I Am. Live in the BBQ on the Main Source is hot shit & Nas's first apperance. But he sold out & went mainstream. Look @ that shit he did with Puffy, White furs yeah!!!! Their if equally good albums to Illmati if not better in hip hop. I was listening to nas when the fucker came out the production on Illmatic is hot ass well Q-Tip, Primier, Large Profesor, & L.E.S. But that was the last good entire album I heard not only that it was 45 min. long. & as far as Dylan is concerned Tom Foolery (hahaha) No comparison ever!!! Put nas up against Jay-Z or Mos Def even then I think Kool Kieth with slaughter them all!!

"Drink Guinness & live,
Hate Guinness & die"
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Disgruntled Youth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2006, 02:48 PM   #142
ted_kennedy
bad moon rising

ted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to behold
Nas up in this piece, mutherfuck Hayden Ashe! Short arms and deep pockets, kna' mean? Ya'll are TROLLS (apart from the people that agree with me), the rest of ya'll are NUMB-FUCKING-NUTZ!

- I bet the VAST majority of people who responded to this post never listened to any of the Nas tracks I mentioned (or the one I posted). So fuck you all and your ingrained racism.
ted_kennedy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2006, 04:51 PM   #143
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
die Die Die My Darling
Don't Utter A Single Word
Die Die Die My Darling
Just Shut Your Pretty Mouth
I Ain't Seeing You Again
I Am Seeing You
In Hell
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2006, 01:17 AM   #144
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Listen to POS. His lyrics are far greater than Nas' lyrics.
Old 09.18.2006, 01:44 AM   #145
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
You are a racist, though, Kegmama. It's impossible to dislike one single rap artist and not be a racist.
Old 09.18.2006, 02:10 AM   #146
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm.....

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2006, 06:35 AM   #147
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not a liberal. Some of my best friends are far-right neo-nazis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2006, 07:27 AM   #148
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Good for you.
Old 09.18.2006, 08:04 AM   #149
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

I'm not a liberal. I am a far-right neo-nazis.

Do I win the biggest cock competition?
Old 09.18.2006, 11:08 AM   #150
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
seriously, quasimoto (madlib's best work) is great and everything but saying madlib is better than nas is just idiotic, madlib has never and never will make a record of the calibre of illmatic, his lyrics are entertaining but he's a beat maker, he's not by any stretch of the imagination a lyricist on a par with nas. it's a shame nas never will reach the heights of his first album again either though.

anyway, for the record, i agree with the guy who started this thread. speaking for myself, biggie and nas, or any of the best rappers have far more intricate, inventive and interesting lyrics than bob dylan. bob dylan's music has never struck a chord with me though.

this arguement has gone on too long for me to be that bothered to join in, but it is further confirmation, as if any were needed, that most people on this board have absolutely no clue about music.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2006, 12:33 PM   #151
ted_kennedy
bad moon rising

ted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to beholdted_kennedy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
biggie and nas, or any of the best rappers have far more intricate, inventive and interesting lyrics than bob dylan.

In the words of Tim Westwood: EXACTLY!

Like I've been saying, the rhyme patterns and sentence structures of the best rappers are far more complex than those of the best rock lyricists. Thats not to say that rappers are more intelligent (although, they are by no means on average less intelligent) - its just that hip hop as a genre of music lends itself better to more intricate lyrics.

For what its worth though, I think that, musically, rock is better than rap. Its also a better canvas for expressing certain emotions (e.g. anger and alienation with grunge)
ted_kennedy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2006, 12:40 PM   #152
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I had a hard time with hip-hop for a long time. I didn't really get it. I came from a 'rock' background. When it finally clicked it was great. Because, unlike rock, and as Ted 'best new poster for ages' Kennedy says, hip-hop lends itself to intricate lyrics... because there isn't much happening musically. You get the ocassional exciting beat, but mostly the lyrics are the main focus, becuase the 'music', as it were, is generally repetitive and a-melodic. And yes, I do think hip-hop generally has better lyrics. Dylan's rhyming scheme is VERY take it or leave it, Nas' (and many other people's) 'rhyming scheme' is generally more diverse than your average rock musician.

Westwood, in spite of being the world's largest prick, is a national hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2006, 12:47 PM   #153
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

I find Biggie and Nas to be terrible. Especially Nas. I know Madlib's lyrics are silly but I enjoy him more than someone talking about selling crack. POS is far greater lyrically than Nas or Biggie. I hate Dylan btw.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth