Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.07.2017, 06:57 PM   #1081
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
finished mr. robot season 2 which was FUCKING GREAT. dark as fuck and all, and sure maybe more than a bit preposterous, it's certainly no the wire, but it was good.

now fixin' to finish house of cards season 5 which so far has been funny and entertaining and i don't tire of the schtick

I keep hearing about Mr. Robot but I have no fucking idea what it is or what it's about. Is it on le Netflick?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2017, 06:58 PM   #1082
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I keep hearing about Mr. Robot but I have no fucking idea what it is or what it's about. Is it on le Netflick?
it's on USA cable or was it showtime i forget

i rent primitive technology over the mail
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2017, 06:59 PM   #1083
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Sticking with Taboo.

Taboo. This one's something. I recommend it. Weird, dark, scary... villainous East India Trading Company appear to be the main antagonists in a story that was sculpted by Tom Hardy and his father ("Chips") and Ridley Scott, who exec. produces.

Me likey.
Old 02.08.2017, 09:16 AM   #1084
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

on season 3 of Brit House of Cards. quite saucy
Old 02.08.2017, 10:08 AM   #1085
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

on season 3 of Brit House of Cards. quite saucy

I'm interested in this.

I have to admit, I grow weary of U.S. imports of British shows. Britain has shown a really quite incredible intuition for television, predicting both the cinematic story telling that has become the default for American drama, death of the laugh track/multi-camera sitcom (or at least most of them.) Personally, I kind of fucking hate The Office UK. Kind of fucking hate Ricky Gervais. Also kind of fucking hate The Office US, but it had its moments. BUT... by and large I think the BBC has done some extraordinary things, and imported shows (see Being Human US, Torchwood's shameful US season, etc.) usually suffer from being entirely commercially minded piles of shit.

House of Cards is one that I am approaching from a different angle, as I haven't seen the UK original series. I like the Netflix series despite Kevin Spacey's often excruciating take Southern "Dandy" horseshit, because it's a well-made political drama that actually explores the workings on Congress, and I'm a teency bit of a politics and government nerd. It's nice to have a show that embellishes and pours on the tension just enough to make politics feel exciting to the average person.

Sooo... I've considered watching the U.K. version at some point, but I guess I was planning on waiting until HOC US ended, so it wouldn't color my perception of it. I know the U.K. show ended after 3 seasons, while the US is pushing... what... six? That liberty-taking rubs me the wrong way. Like how Game of Thrones is just doing its own goddamn thing now (apparently... I stoped watching long ago and decided to just be a book guy), and is readying heir final season when there are still two books yet to come out, and god knows when that will happen. Yeah, I dislike that shit. I object to it. Tell the story, see it through, do it right, or call yourself something else. Asstwats!

What were we talking about again?
Oh right, Doctor Who or something. No?
Old 02.08.2017, 10:18 AM   #1086
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
that British HoC is really good. I just finished 1st season of the Gommora series. At first I was comparing it to the movie and wasn't thrilled, but it got better and better and had a pretty spectacular conclusion. 8/10?

the mother, Immacolata. What a great name!

ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2017, 10:19 AM   #1087
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Will someone please watch this and talk to me about it? Preferably validating my opinion that it's good?

The first episode is free on iTunes and Google Play (or was), so check it out! I'm going to keep hammering at this until someone watches a bit and trows in their 2 cents.

Would it help if I told you it was about the death of a rich, mad English merchant whose rich mad son (Tom Hardy) has been presumed dead for 10 years, and returns to England from an extended and mysterious tenure in Africa to exact revenge on the people who conspired to murder his father? Eh?
Oh, also to "reunite" with his hot, brainwashed puritanical sister, to reunite with his sister who is more than a "sister" if'n you know what I mean )??

What if I told you there was some creepy magic shit? Slave ships? That our leading man is an alleged cannibal? That he claims to be "dead?"

Also he's a total freaking badass, even though he has yet to throw a single punch in what I've seen.

It's exquisitely filmed. The cast is full of strong actors from successful BBC series, so there's no real weak link as far as acting is concerned. And it's engaging as hell.

WATCH TABOO.
Old 03.23.2017, 05:54 PM   #1088
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Madoka Magica

So I watch the first episode, think I know what's in store. Then, by the end of episode three ... fuck me! I have a worrying feeling that I could become obsessed with this.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2017, 06:13 PM   #1089
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Madoka Magica

So I watch the first episode, think I know what's in store. Then, by the end of episode three ... fuck me! I have a worrying feeling that I could become obsessed with this.
ha ha ha ha. wat? explain, explain... i'm curious now!
Old 03.23.2017, 07:37 PM   #1090
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
It's kind of a deconstruction of stuff like Sailor Moon. Suffice to say it ups the cuteness factor by about a million then leaves you utterly traumatised by what it does with it.

Essentially ...

Old 03.24.2017, 10:10 AM   #1091
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I'm 3 episodes into Taboo. Not bad, it's got a bit of Melville, a bit of Heart of Darkness Conrad and a hell of a lot of gin alley in it. Great cast including Johnathan Pryce, Stephen Graham, Franka Potente, a very well disguised Mark Gatiss, who seems to be in everything these days, but is pretty damned good as the genetically challenged Prince regent. I think Pryce's part is overplayed, he's too involved in the minutia of his position, but it's a good story.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2017, 10:45 AM   #1092
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
It's kind of a deconstruction of stuff like Sailor Moon. Suffice to say it ups the cuteness factor by about a million then leaves you utterly traumatised by what it does with it.

Essentially ...

YESSSSSSSSSSS Madoka is legit. I haven't watch the 'remake' or whatver it is, but the show is pretty fucked up. Wasn't expecting that.

EDIT: The only reason I watched it is because of an article someone wrote on Kotaku. They mentioned that this wasn't your typical magical girl anime. It's dark and not necessarily in a creepy way either. Anyways....it's a pretty good one.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2017, 11:18 AM   #1093
Severian
invito al cielo

Finally got into Westworld. Watched everything but the season finale at this point, and I have to say, it's impressive and smart in all the ways I was fearing it wouldn't be. It's better than Game of Thrones, which I've just given up on completely.

Can't wait to see how it all comes together/falls apart.
Old 03.24.2017, 11:33 AM   #1094
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

^^ that madoka magica looks hilarious. i might look for it around halloweenzes (or maybe sooner, ha ha ha)

same as taboo. sounds like a good choice for horror season

me just finished disc 6 of the whole monty python thing, and so far it's been great

also recently watched girls season... 5? girls is a show that i love to hate on. i hate most characters but i must watch it somehow

oh, offlined all mozarts in the jungle season 3 to binge on. monica bellucci is just so... she's from another planet is what she is. i have no words to describe her. she's beyond language.
Old 03.24.2017, 12:18 PM   #1095
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
YESSSSSSSSSSS Madoka is legit. I haven't watch the 'remake' or whatver it is, but the show is pretty fucked up. Wasn't expecting that.

EDIT: The only reason I watched it is because of an article someone wrote on Kotaku. They mentioned that this wasn't your typical magical girl anime. It's dark and not necessarily in a creepy way either. Anyways....it's a pretty good one.

Yeah I'm only talking about the series. I love magical girl anime generally, and I knew Madoka played around with it so delayed watching it cos the simplicity and innocence of those series is a large part of their appeal for me. But Madoka doesn't just fuck around with that, as you say it gets really dark in parts, to the point where it's pretty depressing. Not what I'd normally want from a magical girll series at all but it does it so well. And it's not just about the story, some of the animation sequences, especially involving the witches, are truly amazing.

Symbols: Madoka would be an interesting choice for halloween. It's not horror by any means but could sort of work. Bear in mind though, it's a series not a film so it's a lot of watching.
Old 03.24.2017, 01:07 PM   #1096
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah. The witch scenes are the best. Looks like mixed media too. That witch battle with Mami though, you know which one I'm talking about. That was insane, not only because you didn't see it coming but but the warping of reality made it look so cool and really contrasted the seriousness of the situation.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2017, 03:39 PM   #1097
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Yeah. The witch scenes are the best. Looks like mixed media too. That witch battle with Mami though, you know which one I'm talking about. That was insane, not only because you didn't see it coming but but the warping of reality made it look so cool and really contrasted the seriousness of the situation.

That scene traumatised me big time, and yeah, the way its animated just reinforced the sense of total shock while at the same time made me wonder for a minute or two if it actually happened. It did, the bastards!
Old 03.24.2017, 07:52 PM   #1098
Severian
invito al cielo

I didn't know there were anime heads here. (!!!)

I've been watching HUNTERxHUNTER (the 2011 remake of HUNTER) in my spare time lately, and I love it. Love he sinister elements of it, especially for a show about children.

I've never heard of this Madoka thing. Where is it? Netflix? KissAnime? Where can I watch and be disgusted/disturbed? Also, which version is the one to go with?
Old 03.24.2017, 07:56 PM   #1099
Severian
invito al cielo

Top 5 anime shows:
- Bleach (minus season 3 and the final season after the Espada battle, and also all the filler... so basically just seasons 1-2 and 4-5 -- I think -- y'know, the whole Aizen arc. That's like the Lebron James of anime. The rest is like ... the Kobe Bryant.)
- Tokyo Ghoul (Fucking so gross and dark and fucked up. Love it! Little RoboCop/dystopian future of law enforcement element mixed in doesn't hurt one bit.)
- Claymore (WHY DID THEY ONLY MAKE 1 SEASONS OF THIS?)
- One Piece (its incentive and fun enough to offset its annoyingness)
- HUNTER

Yanimey!
Old 03.25.2017, 04:34 AM   #1100
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:

I've never heard of this Madoka thing. Where is it? Netflix? KissAnime? Where can I watch and be disgusted/disturbed? Also, which version is the one to go with?

The Complete Series is available on DVD, full title Puella Magi Madoka Magica. That's the anime which we've been talking about. I'm sure there's plenty of other online sources for them. But yeah, basically you just want the anime, episodes 1-12.

There's also 3 off-shoot feature films which I haven't seen: 1 - Beginnings; 2 - Eternal and 3 - Rebellion but when people talk about Madoka generally, they're not talking about those.

Needless to say there are countless Manga too. I haven't read any of those either.
45525354 55 56575865105155 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth