Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page It's hard to decide the best track off Sonic Nurse.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.30.2008, 02:10 PM   #41
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
um hmm.

I just kinda wanted to give brief reasonings to explain my order of preference for the songs.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 06:39 PM   #42
Pessimist
little trouble girl

Pessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's asses
Dude Ranch Nurse is very unsettling. Win.
Old 04.30.2008, 06:47 PM   #43
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
yeah, that's what I was about to write. if this track does count. AMAZING.

nurse=great, great live.

Well, great to have Jim there in the passages when they are all clicking. And there's definitely a lot of extended outros and instrumental improvs that are classic massive live Sonic Youth on the live recordings.

But as far as the show relative to the album tracks...hmmm.
Well, ironically (for me), the "I Love You Golden Blue" opener is a particularly strong part of those shows.

The songs were performed well by and large, but somehow a lot of the nuances found on the album didn't really translate well for me live.

And there are definitely some parts of some songs that they just rarely executed all that well live.

On the other hand, there are definitely some that they hit out of the park live.

Glad there's lots of 'em (Nurse shows).
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 10:37 PM   #44
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
Can I take the easy way out and say all of them?
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 10:39 PM   #45
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i still feel murray street is their best full length this decade by about a mile or so though.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 11:25 PM   #46
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Erm... Dude Ranch Nurse.

If not, Unmade Bed or Pattern Recognition.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 11:42 PM   #47
luckynumber9
bad moon rising

luckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard sucka
Pattern Recognition, Unmade Bed, and Golden Blue are probably my favorite ones.

and we looked
and we passed
through the hallway of shatterproof glass
luckynumber9 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2008, 11:56 PM   #48
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
Dude Ranch Nurse hands down. But for me, while I love the album for its songwriting, much of it seems a little contrived, like they were trying too hard (which makes me think of the Jim O. threads). I'm sure it's just a neurotic hang-up of mine, but I am super-sensitive to anything that doesn't seem authentic, or genuinely in the moment. "Nurse" is a great album for being well thought-out, but I actually much prefer "Rather Ripped," for the simple fact that it seems less planned and constructed. (That, and for the existence of "Jams Run Free.") While I hate to fall back on drug references to analyze music, "Nurse" is somewhat uncomfortable for me to listen to when I'm high (except for "Dude Ranch Nurse"). It just exaggerates the whole "oh, listen to how hard they're trying" thing (and sounding like they're trying to *not* sound like they're trying, etc). I'd much rather listen to a band not trying at all, just doing (and who am I, Yoda?), which I acknowledge is a conundrum for even the best bands to achieve. Yet there are those that do it (see the Breeders newest, Magik Markers, etc.) Well anyway, I've kind of gotten off-topic. But "Dude Ranch Nurse" is just spectacular.
Either I don't understand the point of "repping," or I do and it really is pointless. Fortunately I'm colorblind, so it wouldn't make sense to concern myself with being concerned about it in the first place.

www.myspace.com/koolthing78
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 12:18 AM   #49
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I found the live version of "Golden Blue" to be fantastic..
Old 05.01.2008, 01:29 AM   #50
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
Well, great to have Jim there in the passages when they are all clicking. And there's definitely a lot of extended outros and instrumental improvs that are classic massive live Sonic Youth on the live recordings.

exactly, that's the thing. noise outros and instrumental parts on Nurse material live is great, because of 5 piece band and Jim's brought a lot to that live sound. it's just sounds amazing live. something they evolved into as a 5 piece.

also maybe because Nurse was the first time ever material I've seen performed live (and it just blew me away seeing SY for first time ever doing Pattern Recognition outro, hehe) and also maybe there's few very good quality DVD out there from Nurse tour.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 02:31 AM   #51
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Now that I've had a proper listen, I can decide which tracks are the best:
Pattern Recognition
Dripping Dream
Kim Gordon & the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream
Paper Cup Exit
New Hampshire
I Love You Golden Blue
Peace Attack
That's nearly every song on the album.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 05:40 AM   #52
ArthurDoyleHandCream
little trouble girl

ArthurDoyleHandCream has a brilliant futureArthurDoyleHandCream has a brilliant futureArthurDoyleHandCream has a brilliant futureArthurDoyleHandCream has a brilliant futureArthurDoyleHandCream has a brilliant futureArthurDoyleHandCream has a brilliant futureArthurDoyleHandCream has a brilliant futureArthurDoyleHandCream has a brilliant futureArthurDoyleHandCream has a brilliant futureArthurDoyleHandCream has a brilliant futureArthurDoyleHandCream has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Pattern Recognition

it fucking rocks

ROBROBROBROBROBROBROBROBROBROBROB!

I agree.
ArthurDoyleHandCream is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 09:28 AM   #53
Thor Anders Aase
little trouble girl

Thor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's assesThor Anders Aase kicks all y'all's asses
Peace Attack for sure..
Old 05.01.2008, 10:23 AM   #54
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
pattern recognition
nature scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 03:08 PM   #55
syouth69
bad moon rising

syouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's assessyouth69 kicks all y'all's asses
GOLDEN BLUE !! no-doubt
syouth69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 03:35 PM   #57
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
dude ranch nurse fucking RULES

dude ranch shentov is better though

let nurrse give you a shot, it's something to do.....

I FUCKING LOVE THAT LINE
Old 05.01.2008, 05:06 PM   #58
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
New Hampshire or (EDITED) Dude ranch nurse.
Old 05.01.2008, 05:13 PM   #59
Crumb's Crunchy Delights
expwy. to yr skull

Crumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard sucka
mmm...tricky one

track 1 slays, track 2 kills, track 3 kicks serious butttttt, track 4 owns (or does it pwn?), track 5 flips da beat, track 6 rocks the shock, track 7 hips the zips, track 8 flips the flops, track 9 makes me wanna shoot my load, track 10 makes we wanna load my shoot (?!), track 11 drives me insane in the membrane, track 12 aygdweylgc, track 13 is the killa dilla...

tough call, for sure
Crumb's Crunchy Delights is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 05:14 PM   #60
Pessimist
little trouble girl

Pessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's assesPessimist kicks all y'all's asses
I think DRN has some of SY's best lyrics, and they're cryptic as shit.

I could love you, I could have you...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth