Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page music/capitalism
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.08.2008, 09:48 PM   #21
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Yeah, and everyone is really impressed with your ability to sit on some kind of self-satisfied high horse acting like you know everyone's fucking motivation for doing what they do.
I guess everyone has some sort of ulterior, self-serving motive for creating what they create. You know, except you.
Because you're Mister Pure.
Drop me a line sometime with some photos of that self contained and self-sustaining compound you've started on that one island that you found, didn't have to pay anyone for and didn't have to kick any indigenous people off of. I'm sure it's lovely.
Jesus fucking Christ, these kinds of tail-eating circular arguments are tedious.

What? acting like i know everyone's motivation for doing what they do? I don't know how you can infer that from what I said. Bit of a leap there, since i was talking about specific things, not EVERYTHING.

Whats this Mr. Pure stuff? What the fuck? I never even said I created anything in the first place, yet you assume I do? Haha, sounds a bit defensive of you.

I don't even get you to be honest.

But its obvious how much of a dick you're acting. Hope I didn't invalidate any of yr shitty fantasies!
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2008, 09:50 PM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hahaha "Mister Pure".

No offense to anybody or anything, I'm not in this argument, but the term "Mister Pure" made me laugh out loud.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2008, 10:03 PM   #23
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
What? acting like i know everyone's motivation for doing what they do? I don't know how you can infer that from what I said. Bit of a leap there, since i was talking about specific things, not EVERYTHING.

Whats this Mr. Pure stuff? What the fuck? I never even said I created anything in the first place, yet you assume I do? Haha, sounds a bit defensive of you.

I don't even get you to be honest.

But its obvious how much of a dick you're acting. Hope I didn't invalidate any of yr shitty fantasies!

OK then, lets' go back to the beginning...

Quote:
An artists ego can seem like a pretty fake thing in comparison to what actually goes on in the world.

Art will exist no matter what "actually goes on in the world." People have a drive to create art that goes back to the beginning of our existence. It is not all some kind of effort to inflate or further the ego of its creator. Most of it (the vast majority, I daresay, good or bad) just comes out of people because they want to make it for ENJOYMENT.

Quote:
what real difference can art make to an individual enslaved in capitalism? doesnt it just fufill us with fantasies of becoming a member of the class that enslaves us? is it not counter productive to buy into the egos of a musician dependant on you to ride out their little narcissitic mythical fantasy of self?

It doesn't HAVE to make a difference to those of us "enslaved in capitalism." "Enslaved" isn't a word you would use lightly if you had any real connection to actual enslavement either. Yeesh; being born into a society you can't change and finding it frustrating isn't really "enslavement." It's the same conundrum we all face every fucking day. Art makes it a little less miserable for me, both via creating it myself and experiencing that which is made by others. NONE of us are going to "break down the machine," for god's sake.

And I hate to disappoint you, but most of us making art and music don't "depend" on the validation of people fawning all over us in order to "maintain a little narcissistic fantasy world." All the ivory-tower musing in the world won't change that.
I might be coming off as a bit of a dick, yes, but sanctimonious "theorizing" just brings out that side of me, I guess.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 01:34 PM   #25
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
stop whinging?

do you even listen to yourself?

glice, noone is impressed by yr ability to respond to things people say by being a cunt.

It's a question of style darling. Do you pose a series of heavily loaded questions mired in convoluted, naif-leftist logic and you expect me to respond with pithy aphorisms affirming your juvenile lack of perspective? Or do you pose a series of questions because you want people's opinions? I was taking the piss, yes, but you were taking the piss without realising, it seems.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 01:55 PM   #26
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
The fact that Sub Pop let individual subscribers buy up to five subscriptions of their new singles club is one example of capitalism making music a big bummer for me. So, I went outta town for a few days and was nowhere near a computer, and then I came back to work and found out it was sold out. Ah well.....I really only wanted the Tyvek and Mika Miko singles.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 02:21 PM   #27
sarramkrop

Quote:

And I hate to disappoint you, but most of us making art and music don't "depend" on the validation of people fawning all over us in order to "maintain a little narcissistic fantasy world." All the ivory-tower musing in the world won't change that.
I might be coming off as a bit of a dick, yes, but sanctimonious "theorizing" just brings out that side of me, I guess.

Rep coming your way in spades. I have been thinking about this tons, of late. All this whinging and overanalizing I came to the conclusion comes from people WHO MAKE NOTHING FOR THEIR OWN ENJOYMENT AND THAT OF OTHERS. They just sit down whinging and pontificating their way into a mediocre grave, without having produced anything other than a fucking pile of opinions about this or that, which ultimately has 0 relevance to how things are created and enjoyed by others, apart from a few close chums.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 02:23 PM   #28
al shabbray

couldnt spread the rep even if its deserved here badly
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 06:32 PM   #29
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
It's a question of style darling. Do you pose a series of heavily loaded questions mired in convoluted, naif-leftist logic and you expect me to respond with pithy aphorisms affirming your juvenile lack of perspective? Or do you pose a series of questions because you want people's opinions? I was taking the piss, yes, but you were taking the piss without realising, it seems.

Yeah, great style there man "mired in convoluted, naif-leftist logic"

You get ++ style points for using the word leftist to try to infer some sort of higher contextual intelligence on yr part. Very original. "juvenile lack of perspective", seems like yr just throwing phrases around here without any actual substantial critique of what I said in the first place. Oh no sorry! It's leftist and juvenile! There we go debate over! And don't flatter yourself, I never expected any kind of response from you at all.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 08:57 PM   #30
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i didn't know tom morello posted on this board.

a gee gee gee

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth