Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Killer acts from Down Under
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.20.2006, 09:28 AM   #61
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
there's a history of new zealand underground music at this website http://noise.as/
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 06:14 PM   #63
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...dID=797 38048
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 06:38 PM   #64
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
On the Silverchair thing: I don't know how anyone can say they don't push the envelope. Yeah, sure if you are still stuck in the early 90's Silverchair era. But to hear Neon Ballroom and espeically Diorama, and say they aren't unqiue, is quite ignorant. Daniel Johns is a very strong songwriter - he's a very talented guy. Respected musicians such a Van Dyke Parks has compared the man to Brian Wilson, thats a mighty comparison right there. I've heard some demo's that will be on their upcoming album, and it's really cool. To not like them because it's just not your taste of music, that's cool, but to discredit them on ability or talent is quite unwarranted.

I also think the Dissociatives are really cool, too. That's Daniel Johns' 'side project'. www.myspace.com/thedissociatives

I also love alot of the bands mentioned in this thread and on this board as a whole, and I'm hardly a 'retarded office worker'. HAHA.

I do admitt though, that their management and labels way of promoting the guy's is quite shit. Makes them out to be a teen/top-20 outfit, which overshadows and demeams the music. which could play a part in the 'cool to hate' thing that they have. Shame.
Old 06.20.2006, 08:31 PM   #65
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
On the Silverchair thing: I don't know how anyone can say they don't push the envelope. Yeah, sure if you are still stuck in the early 90's Silverchair era. But to hear Neon Ballroom and espeically Diorama, and say they aren't unqiue, is quite ignorant. Daniel Johns is a very strong songwriter - he's a very talented guy. Respected musicians such a Van Dyke Parks has compared the man to Brian Wilson, thats a mighty comparison right there. I've heard some demo's that will be on their upcoming album, and it's really cool. To not like them because it's just not your taste of music, that's cool, but to discredit them on ability or talent is quite unwarranted.

I also think the Dissociatives are really cool, too. That's Daniel Johns' 'side project'. www.myspace.com/thedissociatives

I also love alot of the bands mentioned in this thread and on this board as a whole, and I'm hardly a 'retarded office worker'. HAHA.

I do admitt though, that their management and labels way of promoting the guy's is quite shit. Makes them out to be a teen/top-20 outfit, which overshadows and demeams the music. which could play a part in the 'cool to hate' thing that they have. Shame.

What envelope. Yes they are talented, No i don't like the music but, envelope, time signatures, tunings, having string arrangements, using electronica, what envelope are they pushing.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2006, 09:17 PM   #66
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
They're pushing the envelope because there is no album out their that sounds anything like Diorama. It has it's own sound. Not to mention that they evolve each album and not one of their albums is similar. Even if it pushing the envelope within the confines of Silverchair. They don't stick to what they know will sell - otherwise they wouldn't have evolved from Frogstomp. This has contibuted to them not pushing no where near the amount of units that their debut album 10 years ago did.

I'm not having a go at you, as I think it's cool you admitt they are talented, it's just not your thing. Same thing goes for me when it comes to Muse, and others.
Old 06.21.2006, 03:04 AM   #67
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
As far as the NZ thing goes, my knowledge starts and finishes with Gate, but I'd love to hear something from Michael Morley's other bands:

Wreck Small Speakers on Expensive Stereos
Tanaka-Nixon Meeting
2 Foot Flame

and Dead C, of course.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 01:49 PM   #68
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
new zealand stuff that own, besides the dead c, which have already being mentioned and which i already enjoy:

birchville cat motel
black boned angel (bcm offshoot)
the vaselines

radioactive plotergeist should come in here and shed some light on some other wonderful sounds of NewZee
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2006, 06:04 PM   #69
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
the vaselines were from scotland

here's some NZ stuff that i like:

the dead c
the terminals
queen meanie puss
dadamah
2 foot flame
wreck small speakers on expensive stereos
ray off
lovely midget
black boned angel
roy montgomery
the renderers
scorched earth policy
dissolve
flies inside the sun
doramaar
thela
pumice
Old 06.21.2006, 06:41 PM   #70
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
the vaselines were from scotland

i got severe confusion.

true.
Old 06.21.2006, 06:42 PM   #71
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
They're pushing the envelope because there is no album out their that sounds anything like Diorama. It has it's own sound. Not to mention that they evolve each album and not one of their albums is similar. Even if it pushing the envelope within the confines of Silverchair. They don't stick to what they know will sell - otherwise they wouldn't have evolved from Frogstomp. This has contibuted to them not pushing no where near the amount of units that their debut album 10 years ago did...

true words. my thoughts exactly.
Old 06.21.2006, 06:52 PM   #72
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
To add that NZ list:

Surface of the Earth
Gordons
Alastair Galbraith

Does anyone know what Brother Love are like and are they any good? They were compared to Bardo Pond and Jessamine. They had a member from King Loser who had at least one good song.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 07:34 AM   #73
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

another group from australia that is good is Dworzec
Old 06.22.2006, 07:52 AM   #74
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
The first and third Brother Love LPs are great, but I did not care for the second one ("My Own Worst Enemy").
Really good burnout psych-rock. The first one is called "Every Garden Grows One," the third is "Rock and Roll Criminal." This music is a little bit more rooted in certain classic rock roots than Bardo Pond, and sounds nothing at all like Jessamine to me. Every Garden has an amazing track called "Opium," which is very dusty highway drug trip sounding and still gets spun around here on a fairly regular basis after 10 years; Rock and Roll Criminal is a bit more upbeat in spots (and probably the most accessible album in general), but completely rocks. I highly recommend these two albums if you can find them. The first one was limited to 200 copies, but I have seen used copies twice, and never for more than 4 dollars; the third one was released by September Gurls and I think is on CD as well, so you might have better luck there.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 07:54 AM   #75
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
To add that NZ list:

Surface of the Earth
Gordons
Alastair Galbraith

Does anyone know what Brother Love are like and are they any good? They were compared to Bardo Pond and Jessamine. They had a member from King Loser who had at least one good song.
Alastair Galbraith
I need to get more of his records.His music is ace!

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 08:13 AM   #76
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
My God, I forgot Roy Montgomery. I finally managed to get his "Scenes from the South island", and it's great. Kinda like Flying Saucer Attack.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.22.2006, 07:04 PM   #77
Norma J
invito al cielo

I don't think I saw the Sleepy Jackson mentioned. But anyway, their debut was cool and their new material is sounding very grand.

BLUEBOTTLE KISS, guys. Come on!
www.myspace.com/bluebottlekiss
www.bluebottlekiss.com

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth