Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page your favorite band of the decade...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.07.2008, 11:42 PM   #21
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
animal collective would be a runner up for me if feels wasn't one of the worst albums ever to be recorded in the history of humanity.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2008, 11:49 PM   #22
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Decade's not over.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2008, 11:53 PM   #23
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth, they were the last band I discovered in High School. They blew me away like no one else, especially Kim. Ever since then I haven't looked back.
Old 04.07.2008, 11:55 PM   #24
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I haven't actually found many bands exclusively from the 00's that I like a lot. I could say The Verlaines, but they were more of an 80's and 90's band and they only did their first album in 10 years last year.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 12:24 AM   #25
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
sonic youth was the band of the 80's, its amazing how relvant they are today. three decent to brilliant discs, tons of side projects, syr series, countless brilliant live shows, and the revival of daydream nation. its hard to imagine rock music with sonic youth in it.

polysics is a band that i forgot to include. their spazzed out mix of noise rock, devo, and pil is amazing. i want the band im in to be like them, to mix noise and thrash with devo new wave sounds and hypnotic post punk.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 12:25 AM   #26
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Oh yeah, Polysics are really one of my favorites of this year.
Old 04.08.2008, 02:08 AM   #27
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
animal collective would be a runner up for me if feels wasn't one of the worst albums ever to be recorded in the history of humanity.
its amazing how you can say that and i put it in my top ten albums, and you band i usually agree on a lot of things.
the universe works in mysterious ways

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 02:37 AM   #28
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Okay actually the band that has had the most effect on me on the decade is Sonic Youth as I discovered them in 2004 (I'm 17, remember). But, for the band that has been the most important in the 00's (best discs, etc), I'd go with Animal Collective or Liars. NYC Ghosts & Flowers and Sonic Nurse are among my favorite albums ever (NYC Ghosts & Flowers is also my all-time favorite song), but Animal Collective and Liars have released too much masterpieces in that decade... Maybe Animal Collective even more than Liars.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 04:37 AM   #29
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I'd go with Radiohead or Battles. I don't listen to many 00's bands
Old 04.08.2008, 06:40 AM   #30
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I said Sonic Youth because of personal experience rather than actual albums released over the last 10 years, but there is a difference between favourite and most consistent i think.

I do like Animal Collective but the trouble ive always had is half their songs are stunningly beautiful and the other half are really annoying,
and Liars released two mindblowing albums bookended by two mediocre ones (the last one wasnt really that bad, just a real dissapointment) so i kinda discount them for being inconsistent.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 06:49 AM   #31
sarramkrop

They are all dead and made music 40 years ago or further back.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 10:20 AM   #32
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
my favorite bands that had brilliant output in the 00's are
animal collective
boris
sunn 0)))
wolf eyes
lightning bolt
SY
dellilah (you know it)
im sure that there are more but i cant think of it now
lotsa cool shit happening now

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 10:20 AM   #33
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
The Notwist
Laura Veirs (at least Carbon glacier and Year of meteors)
Radiohead (except for In rainbows maybe though)
Old 04.08.2008, 04:56 PM   #34
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse
the Brian Jonestown Massacre, probably . They just keep on giving . Amazing shows to look forward to .

I have to agree with this as far as live performances go. They are the best live band i have ever seen, and i have had the pleasure to see them live three times. In person though, they can be a little rough around the edges, and thats me being kind.

On CD i have been most impressed by The Mars Volta's output since they got together in 2001. They just keep surprising and impressing me.

Live, as far as stage show, not musical performance. I have been most impressed by The Flaming Lips. They always give 110%.

But if i was forced to pick my favorite artist form the 2000's so far, and my favorite album it would be Elliott Smith, and his From a Basement on the Hill album.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 06:06 PM   #35
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i am always open to everyones opinions, or at least try really hard to be, but where the fuck has all this mars volta worship come from? i didnt even know people actually liked that band, i always thought there were people who dont mind them, and people who hate them, i fall into the latter category. to me they basically have just taken influences from lots of good bands and artists, king tubby, king crimson, zeppelin, and fuckin shit all over them with their pretentiousness, pointless 15 minute interludes and random sounds, and overall boring ass deliverey. the worst part is is how fucking talented omar is, his solo shit is ok, and atdi is great, but the mars volta is just absolutey abyssmal. stupud lyrics, pointless long songs, fake salsa, fake dub, fuck em.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 06:10 PM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I like that you guys all chose bands that are doing something different and breaking new grounds for music, even if I don't agree with most of your picks. For example: Animal Collective are pretty good, but they haven't really released an amazing album (their best being Sung Tongs) that would qualify them as a "best band". I think the solo albums from their members are way better. I kind of agree with the point that their songs can be really annoying. Especially that last album which was half brilliant, half ... annoying. And I'm kinda more on the same boat as Marcos... Feels is very, very bad except for one or two songs.

I honestly didn't think anyone would mention Liars... I mean, I appreciate them doing something different on every album, but... man, they just can't write a decent song to save their lives. Don't get me wrong, they make up for it with energy and creativity, but they don't have too many songs that I want to put on and listen to often. I prefer "drum's not dead" because it kind of takes their songwriting limitations and does something interesting with them. That last self-titled album was a complete waste of time though.

Xiu Xiu I think are relatively good but kind of get worse on every album. They're starting to run out of steam already.

I'd have to say, I totally agree with Lightning Bolt as far as being totally consistent and something completely different. I also love Secret Chiefs 3 of course and they are one of the few bands to amaze me continuously.

Polysics are good, but I prefer their stuff from 98-99. I appreciate that the last album ("Karate House") was in a different direction. I've grown sick of them over the past 5 years though unlike some of the bands that have been mentioned.

I think Boris are relatively important and will be looked back on 10 years from now as a band that really did something special. They've done some albums that resemble Sunn/Earth in the doom riffing department, but then they've done some ambient droney stuff, some totally wacked-out experimental stuff, some garagey/punky stuff, and their new stuff is actually pretty weird. A really innovative band that always continues to stay themselves. I really appreciate that.

As for the Mars Volta, that IS a joke. That band is awful. If you want good prog stuff without jacking off solos, listen to Thinking Plague or something.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Six Organs of Admittance. I think they don't really do anything different on their albums but they're always (I don't know why I keep saying "they"; it's usually just one guy).. I mean, I like all of their stuff. Very very consistent. Never gets old.

I'd definitely nominate Cerberus Shoal as a runnerup on my list as far as just straight-up creative awe-inspiring music. That 18 minute song on the Alvarius B split is one of the only songs that makes me cry. Cerberus Shoal takes all that so called "freak folk" stuff and makes it look embarassing.

I'd also nominate Hot Snakes. Completely consistent and addictive band.

But anyway, enough of that.. my pick for best band of the 00's would definitely have to be Farmers Market. Just amazing. Nothing more to say.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 07:27 PM   #37
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned Six Organs of Admittance. I think they don't really do anything different on their albums but they're always (I don't know why I keep saying "they"; it's usually just one guy).. I mean, I like all of their stuff. Very very consistent. Never gets old.

agreed...chasny is excellent.

i'll add Jack Rose to the list too, love that guy.

Calexico works for me as well (though i think my fave record of theirs predates 2000 (_Black Light_)).

Boris would work too. very solid output in the '00s.

Acid Mothers Temple.

and Stars. love those guys (not the canadian pussies).
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 07:35 PM   #38
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Too tough to call since I've only been listening to good music since about 2000.
Old 04.08.2008, 10:43 PM   #39
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
The first Mars Volta album was really good, but since then i feel like being a teacher and writing "Mars Volta needs to stop trying to impress the older children and just be himself" and sending it off to their parents.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 11:36 PM   #40
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
i kind of liked the first mars volta album at the time it came out. i doubt i would listen to it now though. i think they are a whole lot better than sparta though.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth