Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Magic Numbers
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.06.2007, 12:38 PM   #1
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I seen them live last night at Cardiff's Big Weekend and they were excellent. Their debut album is joyous collection of unashamed summer pop anthems. They're like the British Beach Boys (only obviously not as good). Any fans?
Old 08.06.2007, 12:54 PM   #2
luckynumber9
bad moon rising

luckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard suckaluckynumber9 cold hard sucka
I saw them last summer opening for SY and Flaming Lips. Not what I usually listen to, but they sounded pretty good live. I think the crowd liked them.

and we looked
and we passed
through the hallway of shatterproof glass
luckynumber9 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Weird joyful hippies. Not my cup of tea, but they're having a good time, so yeah.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
yeah its usually too bouncy and happy for my liking, but i've decided to stop being such a miserable git.
Old 08.06.2007, 01:45 PM   #5
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
what's with all this "unashamed pop" stuff (I'm not picking on this, just generally)?
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 03:30 PM   #6
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
what's with all this "unashamed pop" stuff (I'm not picking on this, just generally)?

We should all be ashamed of making pop music, and die of embarrassment.
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 03:44 PM   #7
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
I liked half their first album. I'd like to hear what they're up to lately.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 04:05 PM   #8
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrungeMonkey
No, I'm just seeing a recent trend of threads for something that shouldn't be a trend but natural.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 04:32 PM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
ugh, i can't stand them, they're to the mamas and the papas what the kings of leon are to creedence or what the horrors are to the birthday party.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2007, 05:30 PM   #10
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
I seen them live last night at Cardiff's Big Weekend and they were excellent. Their debut album is joyous collection of unashamed summer pop anthems. They're like the British Beach Boys (only obviously not as good). Any fans?

Did you see Jimmy Cliff? That was about the only potentially interesting thing at The Big Weekend. I was going to go but I was in my PJs and couldn't be arsed in the end.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2007, 07:58 PM   #11
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
ugh, i can't stand them, they're to the mamas and the papas what the kings of leon are to creedence or what the horrors are to the birthday party.

Actually the Mama and The Papas are what came to mind when I first heard them...

And Fuck you all I like Pop. The Numbers are a lot of fun
Old 08.07.2007, 08:02 PM   #12
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Did you see Jimmy Cliff? That was about the only potentially interesting thing at The Big Weekend. I was going to go but I was in my PJs and couldn't be arsed in the end.

No, I meant to see it but most of the weekend I was drunk...

But yeah the Big Weekend usually sucks so I can understand why you couldnt be arsed. It usually okay if you go with some friends, smuggle some beer in and take it for what it is (loud shite). I only popped in to see The Magic Numbers, because I really like them.
Old 08.07.2007, 08:10 PM   #13
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrungeMonkey

I used to think like that, but then I realize that I was not giving it a chance, and found some pretty good pop bands, and pop artists, and so forth. I think most people who disregard pop music, generally listen to music because it is hip, and not actually enjoy it. But that is not what I am saying about you.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2007, 03:54 PM   #14
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Sarcasm?
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2007, 08:02 PM   #15
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
The Numbers are a lot of fun

Instant NME shockwaves MTV2 at 5.15pm with a bag of Doritos on the side quotation.
I thought the idea of escapism was to escape to somewhere you would want to be, rather than to a student union filled with Radio 1 listeners wearing Razorlight Tshirts talking about nothing. God the culture makes me angry.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2009, 01:10 PM   #16
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
I was going to start a thread about Magic Numbers, but I see here that it already exsists, so I'll just bring it back. I saw them with SY and FL as well back in 2006, but it was raining and since it was an outdoors show and I had never heard of them before, I just stayed inside at the bar while they played and I never really heard them. A year later when I got into them, I regretted it. I don't know what made me think of them today, except that I am at work and I was wishing I could listen to them. They just make everything better, don't they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DN0R_1vH-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5SgDyiFkoM
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2009, 02:02 PM   #18
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Normally, neither do I. But I love this band.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2009, 02:38 PM   #19
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
I saw them live. They were cute. I just kept thinking, "I can't wait for SY to come on."
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth