Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Death -> Sonic Youth EP
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.21.2006, 10:30 AM   #1
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
I'm listening to Sonic Youth EP right now, and I'm SURE that the live version of She is Not Alone is on Sonic Death.

It's one of the segments said "possibly Destroyer" on the song database

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 10:39 AM   #2
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
I think it's just a snippet of the song at one point... one of the strangely coherent parts of the disc.

I don't really ever find myself listening to Sonic Death... it makes my brain so weary!
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
I think it's just a snippet of the song at one point... one of the strangely coherent parts of the disc.

I don't really ever find myself listening to Sonic Death... it makes my brain so weary!

Yeah, it's just the beginning of the song on Sonic Death, but you can heard exactly the same thing

Noisejob
Old 04.21.2006, 11:38 AM   #4
Fox
the destroyed room

Yeah, now I can tell you where it is in Sonic Death...

It's in side one, segment between 05:05 and 07:16

Noisejob
Old 04.21.2006, 08:04 PM   #5
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
It's one of the segments said "possibly Destroyer" on the song database
It was said for a long time that Destroyer was a song where the guitars were detuned and played with lots of slack on the strings, which would explain the assumption.
I love that show, I've always been fascinated hearing early SY stuff and it's nice to have a show that you can recognize Sonic Death segments. Hopefully more will turn up - there's lots of fucked up jams on there that would be cool to hear in their entirety!

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 08:09 PM   #6
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
BTW
Also from that show, the bridge of Burning Spear and the quiet part of Loud and Soft (The Good and The Bad) are on Sonic Death.

Old 04.21.2006, 10:02 PM   #7
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Ive got to give that a listen. Havent heard in a while.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2006, 11:40 PM   #8
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
yup-----'good and the bad' / 'she is not alone' / 'burning spear' --- elements of all are in ;sonic death';.......

very very interesting

i think 'destroyer' was mis-descrip per foege../confusion.,...seems to relat emore to SINA
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 02:04 PM   #9
Fox
the destroyed room

Yeah, I repered the Loud and Soft yesterday too. But, about Burning Spear, do you mean one of the version of Burning Spear on the live or the passage said on the song database "sounding like remeniscents of Confusion is Next", etc? Because this segment is sure from Burning Spear, but I don't think it comes from this show, cause the segment lasts for at least 1 minute and the segment on Sonic Youth EP is only about 30 seconds...

Noisejob
Old 04.22.2006, 02:23 PM   #10
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Sadly, I haven't been lucky enough to hear Sonic Death...
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 05:37 PM   #11
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox
Yeah, I repered the Loud and Soft yesterday too. But, about Burning Spear, do you mean one of the version of Burning Spear on the live or the passage said on the song database "sounding like remeniscents of Confusion is Next", etc? Because this segment is sure from Burning Spear, but I don't think it comes from this show, cause the segment lasts for at least 1 minute and the segment on Sonic Youth EP is only about 30 seconds...

the bit on side 1 of sonic death that comes before 'confusion is next' (i think what you're referencing) is definitely from the same show that's on the EP reissue. the reason i never noticed it was 'burning spear' is cuz the one note gets kind of obliterated and the way its edited alters the overall riff, but as soon as i heard the reissue i recognized it. it might be looped a bit on SD.
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2006, 09:25 PM   #12
CHOUT
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
the bit on side 1 of sonic death that comes before 'confusion is next' (i think what you're referencing) is definitely from the same show that's on the EP reissue. the reason i never noticed it was 'burning spear' is cuz the one note gets kind of obliterated and the way its edited alters the overall riff, but as soon as i heard the reissue i recognized it. it might be looped a bit on SD.

The Burning Spear bridge from this show sounds like Thurston was having fun with a volume knob on Sonic Death, how it raises and drops in volume.

Chris Lawrence, good sir: When will we see more updates on the Chronology?

Old 04.23.2006, 12:07 PM   #13
Fox
the destroyed room

I second that question. (there should be a private message on your box with some helps on radio presenter translations...)

Noisejob

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth