Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.30.2016, 09:33 AM   #1321
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Your first point screams "white hipster dweeb," you know? I would take The Velvet Rope over every MJ album though.

Yeah, bro, the Velvet Rope is amazing. I don't think I'd go so far as to say I'd take it over any MJ album (wow, man.) but it's definitely in that class of outstanding late mid-late '90s experimental R&B albums that re-wrote the book for the genre. It's similar to Voodoo and The Score in that respect, only it's generally a bit more light hearted than either. But "Got 'Til it's Gone" was one of the most beautifully whacked sample based tracks of that era.
I also have tons of love for Control, which truly is a classic of epic proportions.

But Ima have to go ahead and disagree with you about taking it over MJ. Janet's had some excellent moments, but dude... Off the Wall? Thriller? Bad? Even Dangerous is pretty stiff competition. You're telling me NONE of these beasts can hold a candle to Velvet Rope? I'm just not sure I can get on board with that.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.30.2016, 09:36 AM   #1322
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Sev, I know what I've been meaning to ask you. Have you ever heard Consequence's A Tribe Called Quence 1995-2004 album? Of note I think you'd flip your shit over Consequence and Kanye's take on "Electric Relaxation."

No, I've never really listened to much solo Consequence. Remember a few weeks ago when I mentioned that listening to "Gone" on repeat had inspired me to dig Purple Haze back out and to finally buy Don't Quit Your Day Job!? Well, that's the first and only Cons album I've ever owned.

I will check this out though. I think I can make time for it... especially if you can make time to listen to a certain track that's currently on Spotify, but a certain someone...
Old 03.30.2016, 09:39 AM   #1323
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, bro, the Velvet Rope is amazing. I don't think I'd go so far as to say I'd take it over any MJ album (wow, man.) but it's definitely in that class of outstanding late mid-late '90s experimental R&B albums that re-wrote the book for the genre. It's similar to Voodoo and The Score in that respect, only it's generally a bit more light hearted than either. But "Got 'Til it's Gone" was one of the most beautifully whacked sample based tracks of that era.
I also have tons of love for Control, which truly is a classic of epic proportions.

But Ima have to go ahead and disagree with you about taking it over MJ. Janet's had some excellent moments, but dude... Off the Wall? Thriller? Bad? Even Dangerous is pretty stiff competition. You're telling me NONE of these beasts can hold a candle to Velvet Rope? I'm just not sure I can get on board with that.
Those are all classics of course but I don't know, I guess I prefer The Velvet Rope by a small margin.

Yes, gotta thank Dilla (who was left uncredited) for "Got 'Til It's Gone."
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.30.2016, 09:53 AM   #1324
Severian
invito al cielo

So, did y'all hear Drake's complete and utter sacrilegious butchering of "These Days?" What in the hell would compel that dude to try something like that?
Old 03.30.2016, 10:38 AM   #1325
Severian
invito al cielo

Another list, this one the result of a more exhaustive "march madness" style survey, has determined that the top four albums in hip hop history are (not yet in order)

A Tribe Called Quest - Mindnight Marauders
Nas - Illmatic
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers)

Here's the link:
http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2016/03/...decided-by-you
Old 03.30.2016, 12:15 PM   #1326
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I do not enjoy Kanye music, but I respect his achievements in it.

Same for David Bowie.....
Old 03.30.2016, 02:14 PM   #1327
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
More of this biggie propaganda. All these writers must be from new york!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.30.2016, 02:16 PM   #1328
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Your first point screams "white hipster dweeb," you know? I would take The Velvet Rope over every MJ album though.
I love me some Janet but i think even Janet would take MJ over any Janet album any day. A

Old 03.30.2016, 02:31 PM   #1329
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Janet Jackson's albums suck shit. she could never sing (just that whisper bullhsit like Britney Spears, and she rode the coattails of her brother in creating big giant spectacle dance pieces for her videos.

Plus Michael Jackson actually helped write his songs, not just the "change a word get a third" trick that people like Janet and Taylor Swift use to get writing credits on their albums.
Old 03.30.2016, 02:43 PM   #1330
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Janet Jackson's albums suck shit. she could never sing (just that whisper bullhsit like Britney Spears, and she rode the coattails of her brother in creating big giant spectacle dance pieces for her videos.

Plus Michael Jackson actually helped write his songs, not just the "change a word get a third" trick that people like Janet and Taylor Swift use to get writing credits on their albums.
As a singer i couldn't disagree with you more. I can sing someone elses songs but give me a lyric sheet and say come up with something and i am done. I respect even taylor swift because i could go into her studio with a guitar and come up with dozens of original songs but if she gave me a lyric sheet i probably couldn't get even one chorus done on my own whereas she is a singer and vocalist who can create music spontaneously with her voice. Janet too.. from strictly an artist's perspective i respect that because i understand its not easy. The art they create might not agree with our sense of taste, but it is genuinely art.

Old 03.30.2016, 02:58 PM   #1331
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Janet did not come up with the melody lines for her vocals. Michael was a melodic genius, much like Bob Marley as described by Lee Perry. He had the gift of melody, beautiful melodies just came out of them. Janet? She was a dancer first and a singer last.

Taylor Swift DOES NOT WRITE HER SONGS MAN! neither words nor music. She is a faker, like I said, you add one word to a lyric and you can get 1/3 of the writing credit. Look it up. SDhe also cannot dance for shit, so Janet is one up on her from the get.

Janet and Taylor are studio creations
Old 03.30.2016, 03:23 PM   #1332
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I didn't say they wrote their lyrics, i said they created to vocals. Jerry Garcia never wrote a single lyric either but reality was Bob Hunter couldn't sing a note for his life. He wrote the words, Jerry turned the poetry into songs by actually singing them. Taylor Swift does the same unless you have evidence that some one not only writes her lyrics but also even creates the vocal parts that she just copies because frankly i doubt that.

Old 03.30.2016, 04:49 PM   #1333
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
is that onions I smell?

*sniff sniff*
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.30.2016, 05:47 PM   #1334
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
As a singer i couldn't disagree with you more. I can sing someone elses songs but give me a lyric sheet and say come up with something and i am done. I respect even taylor swift because i could go into her studio with a guitar and come up with dozens of original songs but if she gave me a lyric sheet i probably couldn't get even one chorus done on my own whereas she is a singer and vocalist who can create music spontaneously with her voice. Janet too.. from strictly an artist's perspective i respect that because i understand its not easy. The art they create might not agree with our sense of taste, but it is genuinely art.

I feel you. I've played in many bands, and written a lot of music over the years, but even though I've never had a problem writing down my thoughts, or writing articles at work, I am just plain NOT a lyricist.

Whenever I've found myself in a position to sing, I've pretty much only done covers of songs that I can relate to deeply. I have ZERO songwriting talent, and I'm far too self-critical and obsessive compulsive to ever put my final stamp of approval on a song. I could try, but there would go the rest of my life.

I've always been happy to let other people write lyrics for my songs, and I've played in a lot of instrumental bands, just because this is something I can't even begin to get around. Fuck it man.
Old 03.30.2016, 06:14 PM   #1335
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
songwriting was easy when I was romantic and had the muse. chords. beat. chorus. make up lyrics...... then got laid really hard and pussy became no.1. years later after getting around and busking around in my room the songwriting turned fragile and twisted, unstructured. then I had a daughter and my brain went SLAPT. everything was for her and only sang Julia too her laying on my bed while trying to get her to sleep. I still haven't came up with a song for her yet but, it's all for the best. I don't see her much lately and love sick.
Old 03.30.2016, 06:32 PM   #1336
Severian
invito al cielo

That's sweet. And sad. Sorry greezy.
Old 03.30.2016, 06:40 PM   #1337
pepper_green
Banned

thanks man. that makes me feel better instead of the tears. I tried to spread some but im too frigid right now.
Old 03.30.2016, 10:13 PM   #1338
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Why are y'all such sexists? Janet is a an extremely talented individual. Britney doesn't sing as well as she does (although she was definitely influenced by her), nor is she as great of an artist. None of Michael's albums are as deep and insightful as The Velvet Rope, nor as eclectic in terms of sound. You know nothing about her creative process as you weren't with her at the studio, so please.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.30.2016, 10:39 PM   #1339
Severian
invito al cielo

Hey, I love the Velvet Rope. I don't really listen to MJ anymore... still like him but just never find myself in the mood. I do listen to the Velvet Rope, though. I've always liked that album.
Old 03.30.2016, 10:39 PM   #1340
Severian
invito al cielo

"Scream" was such a good track... those two, together. Yowza
57646566 67 68697077117167 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth