Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Drummers Thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.04.2006, 01:50 PM   #21
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Didn't the Greatful Dead use 2 drummers at one point?
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2006, 01:52 PM   #22
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin

I don't know. But Adam and the Ants did. Either way, neither of them were trying to achieve the effect of 'a robot kicking down a door' like Sigue Sigue Sputnik were. That's the difference.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2006, 01:57 PM   #23
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
That does sound like a unique way of making a sound affect for drums.
-George Carlin
Old 04.04.2006, 02:06 PM   #24
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I used to play drums, but my body won't let me anymore. If I play for extended periods of time, my wrists freeze up and inhibit the movement and hurt. I actually went to physical therapy for this and they told me I get calcification in my joints. I was never good anyway but drums are so fun.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.04.2006, 02:06 PM   #25
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
That does sound like a unique way of making a sound affect for drums.

Well, the drummers in question (Chris Kavanagh and Ray Mayhew) carried off the job with some aplomb, it must be said.

I like a Brazillian samba band called Olodum. When I saw them live, there were sixteen people on stage, twelve of whom were drummers of one kind or another. That was a good noise to hear.

I like the druming of Kevin Hyde from the band Gaye Bykers on Acid - straightforward, loud and no-nonsense. Mr Hyde seemed quite suited to a life of hitting things with sticks, and he and the rest of the band were also very good in the film they made. 'All Hung Up' is a mighty single, but they did many fine songs. Sometimes they crossed dressed and appeared as Lesbian Dopeheads on Mopeheads (get it?!?!?!?!).

Old 04.04.2006, 02:08 PM   #26
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

I'm glad I made this thread. I'm learning something everyday from these great board members.
-George Carlin
Old 04.04.2006, 02:26 PM   #27
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Yep....Mickey Hart played alongside Bill Kreutzmann. I think Mickey left the band and came back in 1974 (which is arguably their best tour year). The two played together all the way up until Jerry died I'm pretty sure.
Old 04.04.2006, 02:33 PM   #28
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Thanks for confirming Krastian. I saw a documentary of the Dead once, & it might be the footage of that tour that you were describing.
-George Carlin
Old 04.04.2006, 02:43 PM   #29
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Was it The Grateful Dead Movie? If so, then yeah it is......great 5 disc set too.
Old 04.04.2006, 02:46 PM   #30
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

I'll tell you who was massively under-rated as a drummer, and that was Nod from Fields of the Nephilim. Some fantastic drumming from Nod, eg on Moonchild, Psychonaut, and The Watchman. By coincidence, all of the videos for the aforementioned tracks can be found at this YouTube page!

Old 04.04.2006, 02:47 PM   #31
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Krastian:

I can't recall. I just remember watching a video at a friends house & the video of them both drumming was on. But, it did sound pretty fucking good.
-George Carlin
Old 01.25.2007, 02:19 AM   #32
krastian
invito al cielo

Has anyone seen this reissue of Keith Moon's "Pictures of Lily" set?

They are limited addition (obvi) and surely they would be tempting to play for anyone who bought a set. It would be pretty cool to have, but you'd have to be a bit nuts to go around gigging with it......don't get me wrong, I'd take one!!!

http://www.premier-percussion.com/ne...le.asp?id=3790
http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Relea...es_of_lily.htm
Old 01.28.2010, 04:55 PM   #33
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Buddy Rich.

I love this solo. Mah fave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3meL51Dkg
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2010, 12:26 AM   #34
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a casual drummer. Love the craft, love the instrument, but play strings first. Getting better..... I'm working to get good enough to perform/record flawlessly. I have a variety of drums.... mainly Fibes sets, some additional Gretsch Snares and love Bosphorus cymbals and older Zildjian's (namely 70's hollow logos).

I like a lot of the typical, iconic drummers. Especially S. Shelly (pocket grooves), Tim Alexander (epic tom roto tom grooves), Chad Smith (pop/funk grooves)... I also like these threes sound and tones too.

Allman Brothers band usually played with two drummers. I think Grateful Dead might have had a drummer and percussionist.

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2010, 08:04 AM   #35
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Girls Against Boys had two bass players.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2010, 08:05 AM   #36
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Girls Against Boys had two bass players.

So fucking what?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2010, 08:07 AM   #37
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
So fucking what?

Name me another band who has two bass players.
Old 01.29.2010, 08:09 AM   #38
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
Name me another band who had two bass players.

Mike watt and Kira Roessler in Dos, fucktard.
Old 01.29.2010, 08:10 AM   #39
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Mike watt and Kira Roessler in Dos, fucktard.

Had to use google, eh? Now google me another.
Old 01.29.2010, 08:11 AM   #40
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Cop Shoot Cop?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth