Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Disco and electronic music in general
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.22.2006, 05:01 AM   #61
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Tokolosh, I had to include this review from Amazon of that Uniform record:

"In a word "horrendous". Must admit I bought it by mistake thinking it was the album by the band protocol. Flicked through the tracks in my car thinking I was listening to Aphex Twin re emerged from his post "90's" hibernation (or maybe he is still going, I hated his music too much too care!)White noise is the only way to describe this collection of tuneless, experimental, rubbish. Its the sort of music that only dogs can hear.....which may say a lot about me....worryingly!!"
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2006, 05:08 AM   #62
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Right,a little bit of name-dropping.Let me know what you think of the following:
Kid 606
LTJ Buckem
Zoviet France
V/VM
Boom Boom Satellite(just kidding,they are mostly shite)
Mira Calix
Kaffe Matthews
Herbert

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2006, 05:09 AM   #63
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
A rather kinder review.

Uniform - "Protocol"

From 'The Wire' issue #266

2nd Gen's Wajid Yaseen follows up "Not A Word", his 2003 Uniform debut, with a more focused and assured collection of dark electronic half-songs. "Protocol" sees him abandoning beats altogether for abrasive drones and brittle atmospheres. But, thankfully, he avoids the sulphurous murk of his Dark Ambient peers. Whereas its predecessor sounded thin and unfinished, Yaseen's tracks here serve as perfect backdrops to an impressive array of guest performances. Lydia Lunch's wry self-parody and Dalek's grand guignol macho posturing raise smiles and send shivers simultaneously.

Germseed's Alice Kemp provides material of unspeakable depravity for two monologues that can't help but suggest the Throbbing Gristle of "Hamburger Lady".

Alan Vega sounds more swaggeringly committed than at any time since the second Suicide album, certainly far more at home than he did with Pan Sonic. And Terry Edwards takes flight on sax on "The Symbolist", in a performance of genuine fury that recalls and surpasses the screaming clarinet workouts of Richard H Kirk with early Cabaret Voltaire.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2006, 05:11 AM   #64
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Hmmmm.
Old 08.22.2006, 05:11 AM   #65
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Hang on a sec,did you mention 2nd Gen?i've upped some of his music a while ago.

Old 08.22.2006, 05:16 AM   #66
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Herbert
as in "matthew herbert"?
bodily functions.
ltj i've only a no-name record burned,nice for a while but a bit boring.
i love the new self titled by Burial,great sounds.
i must say that most of the music i listen to (both eletronic and rock) has something to do with my idea of sound.if i like the sound of a record,no matter who did it or what musi genre it embraces,i usually love it.that's why i love paik,devics,toxic by miss spears,etc.etc. i'm going off topic,i'll open a topic about new paik's dvd to ask if it's good coz here in itlay i can't find it,but if it's good i'll happily order it.well,i asked here,so why open a new topic...i'll think about it again in a few minutes.sorry,my brain works in multitasking this morning.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2006, 05:18 AM   #67
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Right,a little bit of name-dropping.Let me know what you think of the following:
Kid 606 Like lots - I was listening to Who Still Kill Sound only last night.
LTJ Buckem Haven't heard
Zoviet France Don't know
V/VM Only heard the Help Aphex thing - thought it was bit samey
Boom Boom Satellite(just kidding,they are mostly shite)
Mira Calix - Love, particularly 3 Commissions
Kaffe Matthews - Haven't heard but always sounds interesting in interviews
Herbert - Like but have never bought anything.

Old 08.22.2006, 05:19 AM   #68
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Do any of you guys know the African Dope Label.

Bands like:
Krushed and Sorted
Godessa
Kalahari Surfers
Felix Laband
The Constructus Corporation
MoodPhase5
and my fav, The Real Estate Agents

Best label to come out of South Africa, like ever.
Krushed and Sorted have had some gigs in the UK in recent years.

African Dope Records

Dope Dealer in the UK
Old 08.22.2006, 05:21 AM   #69
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
A rather kinder review.

Uniform - "Protocol"

From 'The Wire' issue #266

2nd Gen's Wajid Yaseen follows up "Not A Word", his 2003 Uniform debut, with a more focused and assured collection of dark electronic half-songs. "Protocol" sees him abandoning beats altogether for abrasive drones and brittle atmospheres. But, thankfully, he avoids the sulphurous murk of his Dark Ambient peers. Whereas its predecessor sounded thin and unfinished, Yaseen's tracks here serve as perfect backdrops to an impressive array of guest performances. Lydia Lunch's wry self-parody and Dalek's grand guignol macho posturing raise smiles and send shivers simultaneously.

Germseed's Alice Kemp provides material of unspeakable depravity for two monologues that can't help but suggest the Throbbing Gristle of "Hamburger Lady".

Alan Vega sounds more swaggeringly committed than at any time since the second Suicide album, certainly far more at home than he did with Pan Sonic. And Terry Edwards takes flight on sax on "The Symbolist", in a performance of genuine fury that recalls and surpasses the screaming clarinet workouts of Richard H Kirk with early Cabaret Voltaire.

That's what I said.
Old 08.22.2006, 05:29 AM   #70
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

The Real Estate Agents

For those not up to date on the cutting edge of South African originality, The Real Estate Agents is the dynamic pairing of lab kids on distortion Sibot and Markus Wormstorm. These two unstable sonic scientists with a fetish for low-fi audio-visual property values (who are also the brains and beats behind that other fine experiment called The Constructus Corporation, but that?s a different biography all together) have both made deeply distinct impressions on the leftfield music scenes both on home soil and abroad, where their disdain for conventional DJ or production laws has led them to be much hailed and critically acclaimed by the electronic music cognoscenti.
The mergence of the two mix maestros on The Real Estate Agents project has got to be one of the most exiting things to happen in the past decade for organic electronic music this side left of the mainstream.

Old 08.22.2006, 05:29 AM   #71
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
LTJ Bukem is pure techno, i think, 90s techno, in the vein of leftfield. Zoviet France, i've only heard a few tracks, but from what i've heard, it sounds promising... Very textured noise layered over glitchy electronic beats.
Old 08.22.2006, 05:32 AM   #72
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Do any of you guys know the African Dope Label.

Bands like:
Krushed and Sorted
Godessa
Kalahari Surfers
Felix Laband
The Constructus Corporation
MoodPhase5
and my fav, The Real Estate Agents

Best label to come out of South Africa, like ever.
Krushed and Sorted have had some gigs in the UK in recent years.

African Dope Records

Dope Dealer in the UK
The Real Estate Agents is the only name that i've heard out of this lot.Never heard of the record label either.Anyone likes Murcof?I've only got one record of his and i like to listen to it at bedtime, sometimes.Tokolosh,have you ever heard of a dutch compilation called 'Fastidiots?'.

Old 08.22.2006, 05:35 AM   #73
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Never heard of them.
Old 08.22.2006, 05:41 AM   #74
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Hard to google it.It's a compilation of bands on a late 70s/early 80s record label that i've had for a few years and has some rather odd stuff on it.Once i'm properly settled in my new home i'll get it out and pass on more info.

Old 08.22.2006, 05:43 AM   #75
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh

The Real Estate Agents

For those not up to date on the cutting edge of South African originality, The Real Estate Agents is the dynamic pairing of lab kids on distortion Sibot and Markus Wormstorm. These two unstable sonic scientists with a fetish for low-fi audio-visual property values (who are also the brains and beats behind that other fine experiment called The Constructus Corporation, but that?s a different biography all together) have both made deeply distinct impressions on the leftfield music scenes both on home soil and abroad, where their disdain for conventional DJ or production laws has led them to be much hailed and critically acclaimed by the electronic music cognoscenti.
The mergence of the two mix maestros on The Real Estate Agents project has got to be one of the most exiting things to happen in the past decade for organic electronic music this side left of the mainstream.

Sounds like something that i have the time for.

Old 08.22.2006, 05:44 AM   #76
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
as in "matthew herbert"?
bodily functions.
ltj i've only a no-name record burned,nice for a while but a bit boring.
i love the new self titled by Burial,great sounds.
i must say that most of the music i listen to (both eletronic and rock) has something to do with my idea of sound.if i like the sound of a record,no matter who did it or what musi genre it embraces,i usually love it.that's why i love paik,devics,toxic by miss spears,etc.etc. i'm going off topic,i'll open a topic about new paik's dvd to ask if it's good coz here in itlay i can't find it,but if it's good i'll happily order it.well,i asked here,so why open a new topic...i'll think about it again in a few minutes.sorry,my brain works in multitasking this morning.
Yep,Matthew Herbert.

Old 08.22.2006, 05:45 AM   #77
Pookie
invito al cielo

Quote:
The Real Estate Agents is the only name that i've heard out of this lot.Never heard of the record label either.Anyone likes Murcof?I've only got one record of his and i like to listen to it at bedtime, sometimes.Tokolosh,have you ever heard of a dutch compilation called 'Fastidiots?'.

I've only heard the Murcof tracks on the Leaf sampler, Lost For Words, but I like them a lot.

More names:

Asa-Chang & Junray
Susumu Yokoto
Nobukazu Takemura
Blectum From Blechdom/Kevin Blechdom/Blevin Blectum/Sagan etc.
Jimi Tenor
Old 08.22.2006, 05:52 AM   #78
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Spookie,i bet that you are another one like me who buys all those leaf samplers.There is exactly where i've first heard the music of Murcof as well as that of Susumu Yokota(top musician).All the rest are artists that i respect and good old Jimi Tenor could belt out those sexy techno-pop tunes early on in his career like no other(love the orchestral turn he then went on to take a bit later in his career).

Old 08.22.2006, 05:56 AM   #79
Pookie
invito al cielo

I only bought one Leaf sampler, I didn't know there were more.

Jamie Lidell is similar to Jimi Tenor, but hasn't really made a great record - the closest he's come is with Super-Collider. Live, he just blew me away. He has the most incredible voice.
Old 08.22.2006, 06:05 AM   #80
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I shall not forget the great Future Pilot A.K.A.His 'Departure/Arrivals' is one of my favourite records of the 90s(the one where he collaborates with Scanner,Bill Wells Trio,Alan Vega and Revolutionary Corps Of Teenage Jesus,Kim Fowley,etc etc).Most labels(even the most obscure of them) have regular samplers put out periodically to promote the artists in their staples.They are fairly easy to find (in Laaaannddooonnn anyway) and i love them because,even more than mags etc,i've found out about loads of good music as well as bad on them.

> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth