Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Talk About Your Experiences in Bands
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.03.2011, 06:16 PM   #21
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
um, ok

it's ok, i ordered a burrito.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2011, 07:07 PM   #22
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
it doesn't matter because he came to it from guitar

he probably started playing violin so he could sit there feeling superior to other guitarists

point being he's a guitarist, which is one of the easiest to replace sort of human beings, musically and otherwise.

honestly i like the accordion better than the guitar which obviously influences my view on this.

but if you mostly play the most overplayed instrument, stop feeling so special because a quick craigslist ad will be able to attract 400 people just like you.

i mean being a really interesting or awesome guitarist is cool, but they're a minority

I play a few instruments - guitar and violin are my main ones. I taught myself drum stave in the last 2 months. Now - what I'm saying is that your points are all fair if you can tell me that you know so much as slightly less than fuck all about music.

And for the record, the accordionist struggled to get out of C. And struggled to get into the very, very simple key of Am.

AND also one of the best moves I ever made as a guitarist was to move to an instrument that made me realise how alarmingly limited the guitar is as an instrument.

Plus I'm not actually going to boast about how many instruments I play. But I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2011, 07:35 PM   #23
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
oh god.

Old 09.03.2011, 07:42 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Myess?

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 09.03.2011, 07:50 PM   #25
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
You know, I just don't get how people can say the guitar is limited. Despite what a lot of idiots will tell you, there really is more you can play on a guitar than rock, jazz, and blues.
Old 09.03.2011, 08:05 PM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

I think a lot of it is to do with the fact it's fretted and tuned in 4ths. Bearing in mind that 5ths are anathema to a lot of people, and the guitar (with power chords) lends itself to 5ths (chords and movement) more than any other instrument.

I've been working a lot with a very heavy jazz guitarist lately and it's kind of amazing how much work he does with chord extensions just to get away from standard chords, while the average pianist gets away from base triads in just a few months.

Quote:
Old 09.03.2011, 08:10 PM   #27
knox
invito al cielo

Standard chords rule:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iipO9Tvk1EI

Old 09.03.2011, 09:06 PM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

The correct link would've been a country song. But I forgive you.

Quote:
Old 09.03.2011, 09:12 PM   #29
knox
invito al cielo

That is a country song, in a way.

Old 09.03.2011, 09:23 PM   #30
Glice
invito al cielo

If it was a country song, it'd be a country song. Don't let alt country fool you into thinking it's got anything to do with actual country.

Quote:
Old 09.03.2011, 09:26 PM   #31
knox
invito al cielo

you don't wanna diss NMH here.

Old 09.04.2011, 06:14 AM   #32
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
nmh are awful

there i said it
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2011, 06:56 AM   #33
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I play a few instruments - guitar and violin are my main ones. I taught myself drum stave in the last 2 months. Now - what I'm saying is that your points are all fair if you can tell me that you know so much as slightly less than fuck all about music.

And for the record, the accordionist struggled to get out of C. And struggled to get into the very, very simple key of Am.

AND also one of the best moves I ever made as a guitarist was to move to an instrument that made me realise how alarmingly limited the guitar is as an instrument.

Plus I'm not actually going to boast about how many instruments I play. But I could.

sorry bro, had some(little, i know less techy music stuff than you for sure) formal training and could definitely come up something better than the links i've heard,most people could without having heard music before, i don't record tho because i'd be embarassed to show people music that isn't great, let alone the crap you put online, yr maqam improv was one of the shittiest things i've heard, and i have literally seen dozens of pre-pubescent illiterate street kids playing maqam improvisations, never heard one anywhere near that crappy, if i did i would assume they haven't practiced enough, which is blatantly not yr problem. yr problem is that anglo-colonialism has deluded you into thinking you're capable of anything because you're english, and white liberal guilt has made you actually think that the bland tone and lifeless playing you've contributed to traditions you suck at actually means something, and isn't just some colonial asshat thinking he can do anything that people who aren't english can

you're way too much of a generic anglohipster to play anything that isn't alt-rock, stop trying

you also don't know anything about sevdah music, it is supposed to sad music, but not the kind of sadness i'd probably experience hearing you try to sing one. also the accordion is one of the most common sevdah instruments, so if you want to feign appreciation of that kind of music you should really shut up before someone who actually knows it slaps you.

keep thinking anyone who thinks you're a jackass just isn't smart enough to deal with yr syg whining

i'm not jealous of you, i'm better than you in every way, dork. i can't get highschool kids to stand up for me online the way you do, but derek's music is pretty horrid too so i don't care

you know how stravinsky's concerto smells of violin?

yr music smells of skinny tall alt-rock guy who naively thinks he's vastly superior to the thousands of other boring musicians that act and think just like him.

how does that smell? not like a violin, that's for sure
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2011, 06:58 AM   #34
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
the fact that i'm an asshole reminds that i have things in common with glice. which i'm not proud of

do you have nipples? i'd be willing to chop mine off to be less like you

i shouldn't be talking to you because you're obviously such an egomaniac you probably think any attention you get is an affirmation of how creative and smart you are
Old 09.04.2011, 07:52 AM   #35
Glice
invito al cielo

Well, I can't really do anything about you not liking my music. Otherwise, there's just a lot of bitterness there that's not really worth engaging with. The Maqam name is a joke which the person they're for gets. Utterly hipster, if you like, but I can't actually be fucked to care.

I didn't realise I had high school kids to defend me - I was too busy being a self-involved ego-maniac.

About anglo-colonialism though, which is half a good point: I think if you are patronising traditions outside of your own (which I am) it's important to do it a bit wrong. I don't really aim for 'authenticity' in the traditions I borrow from, and I don't achieve it. Hopefully I achieve something else - but I don't mind if people think the results are shit (as you do).

I don't really get the alt-rock thing though - I've not really been interested in it for a good 8 or 9 years now. I couldn't tell you the last alt rock record I bought. I know you're going to think that that's me being hipper-than-thou, but it's true.

Quote:
Old 09.04.2011, 08:02 AM   #36
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

at the end of the day of the day i'm an asshole and poor musician myself

i do kind of hate myself, so fuck everyone who has things in common with me
Old 09.04.2011, 08:09 AM   #37
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
About anglo-colonialism though, which is half a good point: I think if you are patronising traditions outside of your own (which I am) it's important to do it a bit wrong. I don't really aim for 'authenticity' in the traditions I borrow from, and I don't achieve it. Hopefully I achieve something else - but I don't mind if people think the results are shit (as you do).

well of course an english person isn't just going to rehash what thousands have done over the course of centuries, english people are capable of improving on anything immediately

however if you do like bosnia or the middle east, you can be incredibly useful to western cultures, by learning to fix a proper coffee, the commonwealth countries really need to do some borrowing in this regard
Old 09.04.2011, 09:52 AM   #38
knox
invito al cielo

this thread really sucks.
first of all, glice is not particularly tall.
secondly, you're forgetting italian coffee.

Old 09.04.2011, 10:01 AM   #39
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
well of course an english person isn't just going to rehash what thousands have done over the course of centuries, english people are capable of improving on anything immediately

however if you do like bosnia or the middle east, you can be incredibly useful to western cultures, by learning to fix a proper coffee, the commonwealth countries really need to do some borrowing in this regard

Funny, one of my best friends is Bosnian. She doesn't like coffee though.

It's not a case of improving things - it's a question of perversion. The Balkans are particularly porous with that sort of thing, so you get these really odd mixes of (say) rembetika/ klezmer in something like modern sevdah. Most countries in the world have no problem borrowing and mutating traditions; when the west does it (by which I mean Anglo-America), it's often 'patronising'. Odd, but I understand why people think like that.

Quote:
Old 09.04.2011, 10:01 AM   #40
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
first of all, glice is not particularly tall.

I am next to you!

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth