Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Post pictures of people whose style you admire
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.28.2008, 12:11 PM   #61
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

if you fold those high top chucks, through in some blue phat laces, and put the tounge under to conver them into C-walkin two-tones, then i dress like this most days of the week.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2008, 12:22 PM   #62
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses

These two.
Old 03.28.2008, 02:11 PM   #63
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses

T. Waits
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2008, 03:30 PM   #64
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Beck Hansen, all out winner.

Beck is non-stop groovyness!
Kina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2008, 03:42 PM   #65
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I don;t admire anyobody's "style"

I think 'style" is a load of shit.

I am an 'arty' person (just visually talented from birth) so I can't help but notice and appreciate style, whether it be in a work of art or the way in which someone throws together unexpected items of clothing. And so much of fashion is based on following mainstream trends and looking appealing to the opposite sex (i.e. j.lo and clan) that when someone looks like they're using clothes to bit of fun and be a bit individual instead I always appreciate it.
Old 03.28.2008, 03:58 PM   #66
Kina
children of satan

the whole band had style but I don't have a good pic of the whole lot of them together:

Old 03.28.2008, 04:01 PM   #67
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kina
I am an 'arty' person (just visually talented from birth) so I can't help but notice and appreciate style, whether it be in a work of art or the way in which someone throws together unexpected items of clothing. And so much of fashion is based on following mainstream trends and looking appealing to the opposite sex (i.e. j.lo and clan) that when someone looks like they're using clothes to bit of fun and be a bit individual instead I always appreciate it.

I think it's a lot harder for (non-gay) chaps to get the notion of 'style' - the idea of the body being a canvas, with severe restrictions; it's often an ineffable concept, one that escapes rational dissection. I think this is why people who don't get style, who can't have it explained to them, feel alienated by the sort of 's/he's just got it' response. I didn't like the idea of style for my teenhood, but it makes a modicum of sense now. The problem is often that it's difficult to polish a turd - there's no absolute rule that clothing/ accotrement x will work on everyone - person y may look the shit, person z just shit. Kurt Cobain was a handsome fucker, so got away with style-murder. All that followed, with scant exceptions, look worse than the would do with clothes that suit them. I am not, by any means, holding Kurt up as an example of style, by the way. And on that note:

Most look shit in this sort of get-up.

I fucking love this picture. He's one of the leading philosophers of our times, he's somehow knobbing someone nearly half his age and his suit is unspeakably sharp, but he still looks like the most miserable fucker alive.

Ok, not a good example of young person replicable style, but I'd love to look like this in my twilight years. Gorgeous picture as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2008, 04:11 PM   #68
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Glice, who are they, the first and last?
Old 03.28.2008, 04:20 PM   #69
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses

Goes without saying for me, but here I am, saying it.

Again, it helps that you could literally have a small village worth of shit on his face and he'd still be attractive.

Portly gents needn't look shit.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 03.28.2008, 04:21 PM   #70
Kina
children of satan

I agree that it is sometimes a hard concept to grasp especially since the word style is often thrown around on tv etc basically meaning anything elegant or to good taste, preferrably something looking like a Givenchy gown or a little black dress, but there is so much more to style that the possibility of looking elegant, for example you can look totally shabby and stylish at the same time, I guess someone stylish is someone with an intelligent eye for clothes, and it sometimes helps being good looking as in having a good canvas to start with but is not necessary. An unusual feature that might not be considered as pretty or something can make you look more stylish and cool too.

On the subject of Kurt, that guy had guts which I admire, I still hardly ever see any guys wearing sunnies like these:

Old 03.28.2008, 04:21 PM   #71
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ✌➬
Glice, who are they, the first and last?

Jarvis Cocker and Gyorgy Ligeti respectively.

Quote:
Old 03.28.2008, 04:22 PM   #72
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I think it's a lot harder for (non-gay) chaps to get the notion of 'style' - the idea of the body being a canvas, with severe restrictions; it's often an ineffable concept, one that escapes rational dissection. I think this is why people who don't get style, who can't have it explained to them, feel alienated by the sort of 's/he's just got it' response. I didn't like the idea of style for my teenhood, but it makes a modicum of sense now. The problem is often that it's difficult to polish a turd - there's no absolute rule that clothing/ accotrement x will work on everyone - person y may look the shit, person z just shit. Kurt Cobain was a handsome fucker, so got away with style-murder. All that followed, with scant exceptions, look worse than the would do with clothes that suit them. I am not, by any means, holding Kurt up as an example of style, by the way. And on that note:

Most look shit in this sort of get-up.

I fucking love this picture. He's one of the leading philosophers of our times, he's somehow knobbing someone nearly half his age and his suit is unspeakably sharp, but he still looks like the most miserable fucker alive.

Ok, not a good example of young person replicable style, but I'd love to look like this in my twilight years. Gorgeous picture as well.

Interesting examples of style, there.

Having style has little to do with good looks and more with an aura of charisma and confident intellect that can transform someone's average looks into a ray of light that commands respect. In the case of Cobain, personally I've always found his dress sense deplorable, mainly because the unwashed look irritates me. By unwashed I mean someone who literally looks like they haven't washed, some of the geezers upstairs come across like they need a bath, but who knows, they might be also the cleanest people you could come across, therefore their pulling power is a joyous combination of good mind-practice and clumsy looks.

Also, intellect is gift that can transform the fortunes of any ugly duckling. People, especially the normal kind, are generally intimidated by an intelligent and sharp creature, therefore they are more prone to think about them and put them on a pedestal.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2008, 04:26 PM   #73
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2008, 04:27 PM   #74
✌➬
invito al cielo

I agree with you guys, that intellect is a must with style. Only someone intelligent can come up with such an array of clothing style.
Old 03.28.2008, 04:32 PM   #75
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Interesting examples of style, there.

Having style has little to do with good looks and more with an aura of charisma and confident intellect that can transform someone's average looks into a ray of light that commands respect. In the case of Cobain, personally I've always found his dress sense deplorable, mainly because the unwashed look irritates me. By unwashed I mean someone who literally looks like they haven't washed, some of the geezers upstairs come across like they need a bath, but who knows, they might be also the cleanest people you could come across, therefore their pulling power is a joyous combination of good mind-practice and clumsy looks.

Also, intellect is gift that can transform the fortunes of any ugly duckling. People, especially the normal kind, are generally intimidated by an intelligent and sharp creature, therefore they are more prone to think about them and put them on a pedestal.

I was trying to pick out people who were not examples of 'sexiness' in the sense of 'this person makes me hard/ I could look like that' (erotic/ auto-erotic respectively) but examples of gracious dressing, which is an oft-neglected aspect of style, methinks.

I also wouldn't hold up Cobain as an avatar of any style, but the reason that particular look is so pervasive is because he wasn't ugly to look at. I suspect there are those who'll vehemently disagree with this, but the 'Pete Doherty' look is quite pervasive at the moment precisely because he dresses like that and doesn't look like a pile of cunt. Again, I wouldn't say that was a style I admired, but you get one person not looking like utter cunt in clothes that are utter cunt and suddenly the whole world dresses like utter cunt.

There's a lot to be said for the intellect, or grace, or carrying of the individual, but that's very much a personal, 'real-world' thing that I don't have pictures of.

Quote:
Old 03.28.2008, 04:36 PM   #76
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2008, 04:38 PM   #77
✌➬
invito al cielo

Old 03.28.2008, 04:39 PM   #78
girlgun
invito al cielo

girlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's asses

girlgun is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2008, 04:41 PM   #79
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Getting to the next page now.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2008, 04:41 PM   #80
✌➬
invito al cielo

That's well, that's....(vomits in mouth).

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth