Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.31.2013, 07:09 AM   #1101
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Encore was MUCH less embarrassing than those awful look at me I'm a drug addict sorry no I'm not yes I am no I'm God! piece of shit albums from the last ten years.

I knew it would suck. I just hope everyone knows it sucks. It's time for Eminem to go away forever as an artist.

I think he'd be a great celebrity golfer. That should be his next move. Raise some money fo' da mile.
1.) it's clear that he approached recording this album without any motivation.

2.) even his flow (which was always the best aspect of his music) is completely gone by now.

3.) i wish he would retire right now, but i think that there's at least one more album to follow, he can still sell millions just off a "retirement album" gimmick.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2013, 02:34 PM   #1102
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
so i just revisited Relapse today, and i seriously think that it's an underrated gem, i actually like it more than MMLP.

Em is switching between crazy flows over Dr. Dre beats, talking about rape, serial killers and overcoming his drug addiction.

don't get me wrong, it's far from a perfect album.. it's flawed, and really really weird. actually, it's so underground that i can't believe it went double platinum and even won a grammy.

i think that's the album Em really wanted to make, but the bad reception made him say "fuck it" and just go full sellout mode.
Old 10.31.2013, 02:39 PM   #1103
louder
invito al cielo

i'm praying that Kanye will drop a Yeezus-on-steroids album next year. like he went from The College Dropout to Late Registration in one year.
Old 10.31.2013, 03:11 PM   #1104
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Kanye keeps making it harder and harder for me to defend him, as a fan.

Same. His whole having Jesus on stage with him made me wanna give up on him. Shame his music is so damn good. And he knows it rather annoyingly.

Quote:
so i just revisited Relapse today, and i seriously think that it's an underrated gem, i actually like it more than MMLP.

Em is switching between crazy flows over Dr. Dre beats, talking about rape, serial killers and overcoming his drug addiction.

don't get me wrong, it's far from a perfect album.. it's flawed, and really really weird. actually, it's so underground that i can't believe it went double platinum and even won a grammy.

i think that's the album Em really wanted to make, but the bad reception made him say "fuck it" and just go full sellout mode.

I've not heard that album. However his recovery album isn't that bad in my eyes. I've said this before on here but Eminem kills it on No Love.

Quote:
i'm praying that Kanye will drop a Yeezus-on-steroids album next year. like he went from The College Dropout to Late Registration in one year.

I can't even begin to imagine what that'd sound like.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2013, 03:12 PM   #1105
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Oh and i'll wait till the release of the new Eminem album before giving it a whirl.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2013, 06:40 PM   #1106
louder
invito al cielo

new Lloyd Banks tape, if it's anything like his last tape then it should be dope: http://www.datpiff.com/Lloyd-Banks-F...pe.445238.html
Old 10.31.2013, 06:44 PM   #1107
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I've not heard that album. However his recovery album isn't that bad in my eyes. I've said this before on here but Eminem kills it on No Love.
i like that verse/song. i was expecting the track with Kendrick to be like No Love, Pt. 2. at last it turned out to be a joke song.
Old 10.31.2013, 07:13 PM   #1108
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I've been meaning to ask about the "elephant in the room"...

By which I of course mean the stage props Kanye is using in what sounds like a touring rendition of Gob Bluth's Christian wedding magic show.

I can't bring myself to look at any photos. I just pray he makes something unexpectedly awesome out of this.

Damn, and I was SO looking forward to seeing him with Kendrick. Shit. I may not have the nerve now.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.31.2013, 07:36 PM   #1109
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Interestingly, a lot of people are digging the set, I read a lot of rave reviews on facebook and LA media sites. Interestingly, at the Staples apparently a lot of people were pissed enough to split early, so only his "fans" stayed, which may be good for him. If Kanye could lose all the hype he might cool off and mellow out. He is essentially a troll, he gets attention and it gets to his head.

Surprising to see all the SYG resident Kanye West Apologists suddenly seeming reflective.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2013, 06:40 AM   #1110
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Interestingly, a lot of people are digging the set, I read a lot of rave reviews on facebook and LA media sites. Interestingly, at the Staples apparently a lot of people were pissed enough to split early, so only his "fans" stayed, which may be good for him. If Kanye could lose all the hype he might cool off and mellow out. He is essentially a troll, he gets attention and it gets to his head.

Surprising to see all the SYG resident Kanye West Apologists suddenly seeming reflective.

I have taken great pains to defend Kanye to naysayers and idiots who think he's just an autotone and a pair of sunglasses. I've devoted hours of my life, even before I really liked his solo work (or more specifically, his rapping) to arguing with haters and I have usually schooled them, and turned the argument into an intellectual one about hip hop, it's purpose, it's history, and Kanye's place therein.

However, I am now encountering arguments against his character that I cannot refute. I still know he is the heart and soul of mainstream hip hop, and that he's an integral and eccentric artist who is constantly both challenging and reinventing the norms of the game, but when people bring up his quotes and tweets and interviews with this or that fucking magazine, I'm dumbfounded.

I don't pay attention to that shit. To me, he is his music, and that speaks for itself. No argument or defense necessary. But what am I gonna do? Play "So Appalled" or "Everything I Am" or "Power" for all the honkers I run into dissing his apparel, his ego, and his choice in women?
Fuck no. I'm gonna have NOTHING to say in his defense to people who haven't heard his music. That's going to suck.
Old 11.01.2013, 07:35 AM   #1111
louder
invito al cielo

this new Yelawolf x DJ Paul EP goes hard as fuck: http://www.datpiff.com/Yelawolf-DJ-P...pe.545492.html

Old 11.01.2013, 01:52 PM   #1112
louder
invito al cielo

so the new M.I.A. might be the best album this year after Yeezus.
Old 11.01.2013, 02:07 PM   #1113
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I have taken great pains to defend Kanye to naysayers and idiots who think he's just an autotone and a pair of sunglasses. I've devoted hours of my life, even before I really liked his solo work (or more specifically, his rapping) to arguing with haters and I have usually schooled them, and turned the argument into an intellectual one about hip hop, it's purpose, it's history, and Kanye's place therein.

However, I am now encountering arguments against his character that I cannot refute. I still know he is the heart and soul of mainstream hip hop, and that he's an integral and eccentric artist who is constantly both challenging and reinventing the norms of the game, but when people bring up his quotes and tweets and interviews with this or that fucking magazine, I'm dumbfounded.

I don't pay attention to that shit. To me, he is his music, and that speaks for itself. No argument or defense necessary. But what am I gonna do? Play "So Appalled" or "Everything I Am" or "Power" for all the honkers I run into dissing his apparel, his ego, and his choice in women?
Fuck no. I'm gonna have NOTHING to say in his defense to people who haven't heard his music. That's going to suck.

Such is fame. Its also why generally speaking, I like to avoid hyped and mainstream music of any genre, because I don't like having to apologize all the time for the character flaws. It seems that in indie music, such traits are more reserved less exaggerated. Its not that they're not there, its just they are less pronounced. As to Kanye, these character traits/flaws (depending on your perspective) have always been prominent, since day 1, and it is part and parcel of the Kanye package. You can't have the music without the personality of the musician. Its sort of like dating a bi-polar person, you of course always enjoy the sheer joy and passion of their manic up modes, but when they crash into the depressive side of the coin, suddenly shit seems sour. Its like, duh, the manic is part of the depressive, its the same person. You either accept people for who they are, or you don't. For example, I venerate Tupac probably MORE and MORE OBNOXIOUSLY than y'all like Kanye, and the guy has very serious issues with his relationships with women, his blatant/brazen combative attitude, and his charming self-absorption. He is what he is. Many people have strongly and rightfully criticized Tupac for his flaws, as they should, and when you're under the microscope these flaws become all the more glaring. However, for myself, I never personally found Kanye's music fantastic enough to justify his personality. Y'all would have to spend more time defending/explaining his music to me before we ever got around to the customary apologies for his personality. Tupac was abrasive, Kanye is just getting ridiculous. Severian, you mentioned he is using meth, is this true? If that is the case, IT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING. And the guy needs to stop, meth is bad news, it makes heroin look tame by comparison, seriously.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2013, 01:40 PM   #1114
louder
invito al cielo

listening to ARTPOP. pretty cool album so far, i'm pleasantly surprised.
Old 11.02.2013, 02:51 PM   #1115
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

hot shit.
Old 11.02.2013, 03:12 PM   #1116
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Such is fame. Its also why generally speaking, I like to avoid hyped and mainstream music of any genre, because I don't like having to apologize all the time for the character flaws. It seems that in indie music, such traits are more reserved less exaggerated. Its not that they're not there, its just they are less pronounced. As to Kanye, these character traits/flaws (depending on your perspective) have always been prominent, since day 1, and it is part and parcel of the Kanye package. You can't have the music without the personality of the musician. Its sort of like dating a bi-polar person, you of course always enjoy the sheer joy and passion of their manic up modes, but when they crash into the depressive side of the coin, suddenly shit seems sour. Its like, duh, the manic is part of the depressive, its the same person. You either accept people for who they are, or you don't. For example, I venerate Tupac probably MORE and MORE OBNOXIOUSLY than y'all like Kanye, and the guy has very serious issues with his relationships with women, his blatant/brazen combative attitude, and his charming self-absorption. He is what he is. Many people have strongly and rightfully criticized Tupac for his flaws, as they should, and when you're under the microscope these flaws become all the more glaring. However, for myself, I never personally found Kanye's music fantastic enough to justify his personality. Y'all would have to spend more time defending/explaining his music to me before we ever got around to the customary apologies for his personality. Tupac was abrasive, Kanye is just getting ridiculous. Severian, you mentioned he is using meth, is this true? If that is the case, IT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING. And the guy needs to stop, meth is bad news, it makes heroin look tame by comparison, seriously.

I have no proof that he's doing meth, and I haven't even heard a single rumor that supports the accusation in even the most minor or subtle way.

Just clarifying here... That comment was made mostly for the entertainment of the precious few who read my posts when they see them, consuming half pages in one of three threads.

---

Re: Music not justifying the Personality

Suchfriends..., have you ever heard MBDTF from beginning to end, in a setting that would allow for maximum attention to be paid to the music, lyrics, production, and underlying thematic content?

I honestly can't imagine, based on your posts, and what I can infer about your taste, how you could possibly not like, if not love, that album (even if you hate all the others)

I am starting to consider it my favorite hip hop album ever. This is a turn of events that my wu-tang, biggie, and Kool Keith raised inner rap fiend would never have thought possible some years ago.

Actually, I realiszed this year that my burned, pirated copy of the album from 2010 was NOT THE ACTUAL ALBUM, but instead a compilation of leaked tracks, Child Rebel Souldier songs, and G.O.O.D. singles from around that era. Lot wasn't until I started really listening to him and finally giving in I the sway his music holds over me, no matter what era it's from, or which abominable artists are included ("To The World" is one of my most played tracks ever, and it has fucking R. Kelly on it, who I really can't stand)

Anyway, when I bought the actual album and couldn't find "Don't Stop" (lol) I was pissed at first, but that was long ago now, and I've been listening to it constantly since. Even back when I thought I had it, but only had half of it and a bunch of songs That didn't seem to fit, I still told people I liked 808's, WTT, and MBDTF. Now it's gelled and I can't imagine a world without it. I've never been so blown away by a hip hop album (sorry Wu Tang Forever).

I guess I'm just saying that I was a hater too, and I only liked the fact that he was making an effort to be different. But when things clicked for me and I really listened, I became an instant megafan. It was "Runaway" that did it. I'd never heard such a weird and radio-unfriendly intro, followed by such a badass groove, followed by such a frightening and evil sample, followed by such a sad, genuine song in all my years of listening to hip hop. That song breaks down to fundamentals of the male psyche with both sympathy and (rightful) accusation.

Also the flow is dope all over, and even though nobody's talking about how touch they are, it's fucking rap, not hip hop. Hard. Hits your chest, makes you think.

My rambling point is, basically, that anyone who genuinely loves hip hop but does not relate to the gangsta mentality, should by all right venerate the shot out of Kanye for MBDTF alone.
Old 11.02.2013, 03:13 PM   #1117
louder
invito al cielo

Nothing Was the Same is a good album. seems like i was too harsh with it when it came out.
Old 11.02.2013, 04:15 PM   #1118
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Nothing Was the Same is a good album. seems like i was too harsh with it when it came out.

No, you weren't. It's not that great and it's not the masterpiece some people seem to think it is. It's just ok, and that's all. Some good solid boombap, and some shitty whiny synth pop shit. Those are the highs and lows, respectively. The rest is ok and that's all.

Standards are too high this year for ok to be mistaken for good/great. When GFK, Kanye, Pusha, Earl, Black Milk, Danny Brown and A$AP are all in the mix, not even Jay-Z is should be allowed to crack the top ten based on rep.

Sorry, bro. You nailed it first time around.
Old 11.02.2013, 04:32 PM   #1119
louder
invito al cielo

yeah, i wish there was more boom bap and less boring synth pop shit. it's not in my top albums of the year, good album though.

have you guys already heard the new M.I.A.?
Old 11.02.2013, 04:36 PM   #1120
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
When GFK, Kanye, Pusha, Earl, Black Milk, Danny Brown and A$AP are all in the mix, not even Jay-Z is should be allowed to crack the top ten based on rep.
btw, did you not like Chance the Rapper? my 3rd fav rap album after Yeezus and A$AP.
46535455 56 57585966 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth