Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY Tickets at Urban Outfitters
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.25.2009, 11:19 PM   #1
caliban
empty page

caliban has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I don't know if SY are aware of the politics behind Urban Outfitters. I certainly am. Hard-right-wing owner who has spent millions fighting gay rights. From Wikipedia:
Richard Hayne is the president of Urban Outfitters, a chain of clothing retailers. At a net worth of $1.8 billion, Hayne is the #262 richest person in the U.S. according to the 2008 Forbes 400 list, a ranking of the 400 richest Americans by net worth. … He founded Urban Outfitters, Inc. in 1970. … Today, the company operates over 200 stores under three brands: Urban Outfitters, Free People, and Anthropologie.

Ironically, the liberal tone of Free People and Urban Outfitters is a reflection of his more liberal early roots. However, Richard Hayne is one of the most conservative billionaires in America. Donating millions of dollars a year to anti-gay rights [legislators]. He was also a staunch supporter of California’s Proposition 8, which passed in November of 2008 taking away the marriage rights of same-sex couples.
I love SY! The Daydream Nation tour was just completely fantastic. I saw the original DN tour in a wee club and told people about that magic for years. Being able to bring a bunch of new people into experience that show again was magic.

I'd hope that SY are lefties, but maybe not. I do wish that people in that position, a position of at least a little power in media and pop culture, able to steer fans in various directions, would think twice about steering them towards spending money that goes to a bigot who works diligently to spread bigotry.
caliban is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2009, 09:00 PM   #2
guston
little trouble girl

guston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's asses
but from what they write about and talk about in interviews I think it's apparent that they are politically left leaning.

I imagine there are probably a number of conservative execs and shareholders over at Geffen/Universal/Viviendi, and that SY have, in a small way, unwittingly funded the efforts of people they disagree with...

but we probably all have. If you have to purchase gas to drive to work, fly to visit family, or buy most products made by large multi-national corporations, you are indirectly funding right wing action.

I think the upside of this is that, as evidenced by Obama's election, corporate money doesn't always fund the political system. Obama showed that you can run a campaign using monetary donations from a wide variety of sources, with out having to take from people you will eventually have to placate.
guston is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth