Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.05.2018, 11:15 AM   #22181
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
So Shape of Water lands Best Picture Oscar. In an awards marking a controversial year for the industry, it was the safe choice.

God fucking damn stupid ass fucking Guillermo Del Toro fishman movie. Fucking Pacific Rim guy, who hasn’t made a great film since Pan’s Labyrinth, beats goddamn motherfucking DUNKIRK?!

What the fuck does Christopher Nolan have to do to win that goddamn award?! Dunkirk defies every rule of filmlmaking, made every other nominated film feel small and trivial.

Not that I’ve seen Shape of Water but fuck it. No way was it better than Dunkirk.

Odd that a Sci-fi film finally wins BP the year fucking BLADE RUNNER 2049 GOT SNUBBED.

FFFFFFFFFFFUCK!!!!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2018, 11:19 AM   #22182
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
lololol
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2018, 12:08 PM   #22183
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses

Love you.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2018, 12:09 PM   #22184
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I’m taking some much-needed comp time this fine Monday morning, sitting on my ass and rewatching Wonder Woman.

It really is amazing just how much this movie gets “right” about storytelling and making a superhero story feel meaningful and multi-dimensional. Literally everything that Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad and Justice League got wrong, this gets right.

It zeroes in on a singular character who’s part of a greater theme and story, and allows you to really get to know her while moving quickly from scene to scene, providing just enough dialogue and exposition to not feel rushed, and just enough action and fun — and downright beautiful design — to not be boring.

It has a lot in common conceptually with Batman Begins, I think. Just as there was that moment, an hour or so into Begins where Bruce Wayne brings the hurt down on that group of gangsters in his “I’m Batman” moment, Diana has this sequence right here:

^ That’s iconic.

If this is the only good thing to come from this era of DC movies, I think that’ll be enough. All signs seem to be pointing to a hard “yes” on that anyway. Maybe it will keep up the pace for a second installment, but even if it doesn’t, this movie is pretty goddamn good.

EXCEPT:
• How all the other Amazons speak in a weird accent so Gal Gadot’s hard middle eastern accent doesn’t stand out. Robin Wright, bless her, is really bad at this, and her lines stand out and feel grating and weird.
• How the General Ludendorff and “Dr. Poison” scenes feel like they’re from a different, much stupider movie... They play like Boris and Natasha scenes and ultimately pimple this otherwise pretty darn seamless movie.

Good stuff. Jenkins should have been given a Best Director nod for this. Just as important as “Get Out,” I’d say. Maybe.
Old 03.05.2018, 12:14 PM   #22185
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt

Love you.

Pretty much. I don’t WANT to be pissed but I’m FUCKING PISSED!!

Goddamn fuckass pussy ass Academy taints.

Blade Runenr 2049 > Dunkirk > fucking everything else

But Dunkirk should have won because DUH, fuckwads. BR2049 was too much for most bitches. Not giving it a nod is ri-goddamn-diculois though, and giving BP to ANOTHER SF movie instead of Dunkirk is fucking just adding dumbass insult to injury.

I’ll fucking watch Creature from the Black Lagoon again if I want a goddamn fish guy movie. FUUUUCK. Vilaneuve and Nolan are making mainstream cinema MASTERWORKS and this shit gets the award. Come the fuck ON.
Old 03.05.2018, 12:36 PM   #22186
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Ha, sounds like they did good, IMO, they gave Dunkin Dunkirk just the approval it needed to get a sequel.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2018, 12:46 PM   #22187
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
lolololololololololol

it’s rare these days when a thread gets better but this is one clear case
Old 03.05.2018, 05:43 PM   #22188
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Sorry Severian, I'm happy that Del Toro won only because if it gives him the clout to make whatever damn movie he wants next, the studio green lights it. I want Del Toro to have the same creative freedom that Nolan got after the success of his Batman movies. I'm much more interested in what Del Toro does next than what Nolan does next.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2018, 10:58 PM   #22189
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Sorry Severian, I'm happy that Del Toro won only because if it gives him the clout to make whatever damn movie he wants next, the studio green lights it. I want Del Toro to have the same creative freedom that Nolan got after the success of his Batman movies. I'm much more interested in what Del Toro does next than what Nolan does next.

Fuck you and your family!!!

Ok that was harsh, but REALLY? He made his best movie like a decade and a half ago. Since then, his obvious genius has been used to either A) produce foreign movies that are better than his own domestic movies (Orphanage); or B) make fucking Pacific Rim and that dumbass movie’s dumbass sequel.

Maybe he’s got something major up his sleeve, but this feels more like the end of a career than the beginning of one. He’s already been able to make whatever he wants. Now he’ll just fade further into James Cameron normal land.

Hope I’m wrong.

Nolan already has a body of work that puts most of his contemporaries (PTA, Villeneuve, Coens, and a few others excluded) to fucking shame. Every one of his movies is a masterclass in genre filmmaking. Dunkirk broke all the “Nolan” rules and just have us an obscenely immersive and brutally real experience.

I feel bad for you do you think Pacific Rim/Hellboy: The Golden Army guy can compete. He lost his artistic clout a whole ago, on one of his burning fish guy movies.

I’m sure Shape of Water is fine, but movie of the year it is not.
Old 03.05.2018, 11:41 PM   #22190
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

christ. speaking of the shape of water. you need to drink some! with an ice cube preferrably xD
Old 03.06.2018, 08:21 AM   #22191
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
christ. speaking of the shape of water. you need to drink some! with an ice cube preferrably xD

I’M FINE!
Old 03.06.2018, 08:54 AM   #22192
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yes, yes you are.

inhale...

...and exhale...

good.

lol ok jokes aside i think you make too much of this award shit

i used to look at the ny critics circle for more accurate assessments of quality. if you look at past years you’ll see they had a good record. haven’t checked lately though.

[eta: they gave the title to greta gerwig. gonna guess she’s more deserving than the usual bros. plus, who doesn’t love her? scream about how she didn’t win the oscars instead]

and since i spot that you mentioned pacific rim somewhere... pacific rim was a ton of fun and well aware of its own cheesy qualities. it was a kind of live-action anime, and did so shamelessly and for lols. way more enjoyable than... other stuff i shan’t mention.
Old 03.06.2018, 09:50 AM   #22193
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Del Toro should have won for Pan's Labyrinth. I think that film is more profound and quite a horror in ways.
Old 03.06.2018, 04:41 PM   #22194
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yes, yes you are.

inhale...

...and exhale...

good.

lol ok jokes aside i think you make too much of this award shit

i used to look at the ny critics circle for more accurate assessments of quality. if you look at past years you’ll see they had a good record. haven’t checked lately though.

[eta: they gave the title to greta gerwig. gonna guess she’s more deserving than the usual bros. plus, who doesn’t love her? scream about how she didn’t win the oscars instead]

and since i spot that you mentioned pacific rim somewhere... pacific rim was a ton of fun and well aware of its own cheesy qualities. it was a kind of live-action anime, and did so shamelessly and for lols. way more enjoyable than... other stuff i shan’t mention.

Pacific Rim is NOT better than Dark Knight, Jack. I know what you’re thinking. Know what? Let’s not even talk go there.
Old 03.06.2018, 04:43 PM   #22195
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Del Toro should have won for Pan's Labyrinth. I think that film is more profound and quite a horror in ways.

Agree. That was a genuinely incredible and fucking horrifying movie. I’m pretty sure he was nominated for Best Director for that, and I’m positive the movie was up for Best Picture. Not sure if it was my pick that year, but I remember thinking it was one of the most interesting movies I’d seen in a long time.
Old 03.06.2018, 04:48 PM   #22196
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Pacific Rim is NOT better than Dark Knight, Jack. I know what you’re thinking. Know what? Let’s not even talk go there.

it’s “better” in the sense that a good cheeseburger is better than a mediocre filet mignon.

pacific rim is a great cheeseburger. no— a really tasty and ridiculous funnel cake at the carnival. (it knows what it is). it’s fun and hilarious and you know it’s not “real” food or good for you. it doesn’t even make sense but who cares.

btw, do they have whattaburger where you live?

i tried it recently and holy fuck!

the fries are not great. but the burger. o mama.

i don’t eat a lot of fast food or hamburgers but i’ll take a detour for whattaburger next time
Old 03.06.2018, 04:51 PM   #22197
Severian
invito al cielo

But HONESTLY...

I could make a strong case for Blade Runner 2049 in several different categories. Yes, it won for Best Cinematography (because fucking DUH), but how about ...

- Best Actor: Laugh if you want, but Ryan Gosling acted the fucking shit out of that movie. If you think he was just strong/silent, you’re missing the point. He portrayed all the hardened emotionlessness of articificial intelligence AND all the frailty of sentience with mere flickers of his eyes.
If you’ve seen the movie you know what I mean.
If you haven’t, google the “Within cells interlinked... within cells within cells” scene and ACT LIKE that motherfucker doesn’t have a belt in two classes.

Best Supporting Actor: Harrison Ford, goddammit. Actually surprised he didn’t get a nod. Shouldn’t have won... Gosling shouldn’t have either, but if he ever deserved an Oscar for any movie, this was it.

Literally every effects category, sound, audio, production, costume, etc.

Best Director: Denis Villeneuve, because one asshole put all this shit together and made 3 hours feel like NOT ENOUGH TIME

And Best Picture, because pound for pound, it was the best picture of 2017. Dunkirk is what should have won, because it makes more sense and because it was damn good, but BR was better. Star Wars, Wonder Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy... all fucking salad compared to that ribeye.
Old 03.06.2018, 04:51 PM   #22198
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
best things at whataburger - the whataburger with cheese and jalapenos, and the crispy BBQ chicken strip sandwhich. FOUR thick chicken strips. you can take one out and give it to a friend and still have a massive sandwhich in your hand!
Old 03.06.2018, 04:56 PM   #22199
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
it’s “better” in the sense that a good cheeseburger is better than a mediocre filet mignon.

pacific rim is a great cheeseburger. no— a really tasty and ridiculous funnel cake at the carnival. (it knows what it is). it’s fun and hilarious and you know it’s not “real” food or good for you. it doesn’t even make sense but who cares.

btw, do they have whattaburger where you live?

i tried it recently and holy fuck!

the fries are not great. but the burger. o mama.

i don’t eat a lot of fast food or hamburgers but i’ll take a detour for whattaburger next time

No and also no. At least I don’t think there’s Whattaburger here. I dunno. I’m in a small town for the first time ever and it’s been like 3 years. Could be Whattaburgers all over the goddamn city by now.

But yeah, no on the other stuff you said which I won’t dignify by mentioning directly.
Old 03.06.2018, 05:00 PM   #22200
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
wow, glad you guys aren't in the acad
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
610101010601100110711081109 1110 111111121113112011601210 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth