Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page "They tell me that the classics never go out of style...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.28.2006, 02:53 AM   #1
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
... but they do. They do. Somehow baby, I never thought that we do too."

Oh how great Refused were. They truely were.

What do you guys and girls think? I know theres gonna be some haters, but theres bound to be some down-right admirers. And so there should be, so to there should be.

Alright. Discuss.
Old 06.28.2006, 03:10 AM   #2
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, Refused were pretty rad. Wish I got a chance to see them live before they called it quits. I don't see a reunion happening anytime soon either. Don't think Dennis has any intrest in it. I hate when bands break up before I get to see them live.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 04:38 AM   #3
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I never got to see them live either. And yeah, I think it's a safe bet, from what I've heard, that they won't play as a band together again. The closest you'll get is David playing drums on some of Dennis' Lost Patrol stuff. I saw the (international) Noise Conspiracy acouple of months back, and they were amazing. Best live band I have ever seen. Dennis is truely a great frontman. He's in his element with T(I)NC.
Old 06.28.2006, 05:22 AM   #4
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Refused are fucking dead DVD came out in April 2006.

PLUS EXTRA MATERIAL: THE SHAPE OF PUNK TO COME LIVE
WORMS OF THE SENSES / FACULTIES OF THE SKULL • LIBERATION FREQUENCY • THE DEADLY RYTHM • SUMMER HOLIDAYS VS. PUNKROUTINE • NEW NOISE • THE REFUSED PARTY PROGRAM • REFUSED ARE FUCKIN DEAD • THE SHAPE OF PUNK TO COME • TANNHÄUSER / DERIVÈ
You can view the trailer at: http://www.myspace.com/refused

I want this!

http://www.burningheart.com/refused/
Old 06.28.2006, 05:30 AM   #5
Norma J
invito al cielo

It's a great DVD. And by great, I mean GREAT.
Old 06.28.2006, 05:39 AM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
All my hardcore mates go utterly spastic if you mention shape of punk to come. Apparently, the better stuff is the earlier albums.

But yeah, Refused were ace. I still prefer the Nation of Ulysses though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 06:09 AM   #7
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I still prefer the Nation of Ulysses though.
DC Yeah! I've got 13 Point Program to Destroy America.
Great album!
Is it true that some members of NoU actually burnt of their fingerprints
on stove hotplates to become unidentifiable?
Old 06.28.2006, 06:12 AM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
DC Yeah! I've got 13 Point Program to Destroy America.
Great album!
Is it true that some members of NoU actually burnt of their fingerprints
on stove hotplates to become unidentifiable?

I really hope so. I would imagine that's the kind of rumour that they would make up about themselves as well though.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 06.28.2006, 07:18 AM   #9
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

The inlay of 13 point program has some illustrations of car getaways maps
and a photo of one of them showing his burned fingertips.. I think?
Haven't played that cd in a long time. Going to take it out of the cellar and listen to it again.
Old 06.28.2006, 06:45 PM   #10
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
All my hardcore mates go utterly spastic if you mention shape of punk to come. Apparently, the better stuff is the earlier albums.

I respect all Refused albums. Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent is an awesome album, it offers really strong songs, and a sign of better things to come. But 'This Just Might Be... the Truth' is standard Hardcore, and as Cedric Bixler said, Hardcore is 1 dimensional, and it's true. 'This Just Might Be...' is standard straight out there plain old hardcore - it still has some awesome moments, but it's by far their least productive album. Where as The Shape of Punk to Come, is a masterpiece. They were transcending their hardcore fans/music and what they'd become accustomed to musically (the REFUSED ARE FUCKING DEAD DVD shows their disdain for what they were, and for the people that didn't want to take on what they now were and wanted to become). It's definitely an album like no other. They created something original and beautiful.
Old 06.28.2006, 08:30 PM   #11
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I really wish they'd re-issue all their albums. I only have "Songs To Fan The Flames of Discontent" and "Shape of Punk to Come". They have like seven full length albums but they don't all seem available in the U.S., SOPTC is one of my favorite albums. Its such a fitting end to a band, I need to get thier DVD, heard mixed reviews on it from other fans but I still want it.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 08:59 PM   #12
Norma J
invito al cielo

They only have 3 albums, the ones I mentioned in the above post, plus a demo compilation and a b-side compilation, aswell as a bunch of E.P's. All three of the albums and the demo and b-side compilation have been re-issued as digi-pacs. So they should be available in the US? They're pretty huge these day's in Australia.
Old 06.29.2006, 10:15 PM   #13
Norma J
invito al cielo

I thought more people here would have an opinion on mighty Refused.
Old 06.30.2006, 04:38 AM   #14
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
I respect all Refused albums. Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent is an awesome album, it offers really strong songs, and a sign of better things to come. But 'This Just Might Be... the Truth' is standard Hardcore, and as Cedric Bixler said, Hardcore is 1 dimensional, and it's true. 'This Just Might Be...' is standard straight out there plain old hardcore - it still has some awesome moments, but it's by far their least productive album. Where as The Shape of Punk to Come, is a masterpiece. They were transcending their hardcore fans/music and what they'd become accustomed to musically (the REFUSED ARE FUCKING DEAD DVD shows their disdain for what they were, and for the people that didn't want to take on what they now were and wanted to become). It's definitely an album like no other. They created something original and beautiful.

I always find it funny how, more than any other genre, hardcore fans can often be the most retrogressive group imaginable. Refused are one of the very, very few bands who came out of hardcore and ended up making something that appealed to a wider audience as well as (some) of the original hardcore fans. Personally, I often get shit from mates of mine because I far prefer shape of punk... to the other stuff, because I'm really not a hardcore fan at all. Very rarely I find a proper hardcore band I like.

On a slightly different tack - Converge, "Fuck me how great are they" question mark?

Quote:
Old 06.30.2006, 10:46 AM   #15
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
"They told me that the classics never go out of style but...they do...they do. Somehow baby, I never thought that we do too"

It's hard to hear what he says sometimes. No worries though, I thought he said "Item of thought that we do too". But yeah, Refused are great. I met Dennis Lyxzen a few weeks ago at an International Noise Conspiracy concert, but he was in a rush and he hugged me and left. Seems to be a nice guy. Refused are such a good band. They're classics
Old 06.30.2006, 10:16 PM   #16
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
I always find it funny how, more than any other genre, hardcore fans can often be the most retrogressive group imaginable. Refused are one of the very, very few bands who came out of hardcore and ended up making something that appealed to a wider audience as well as (some) of the original hardcore fans. Personally, I often get shit from mates of mine because I far prefer shape of punk... to the other stuff, because I'm really not a hardcore fan at all. Very rarely I find a proper hardcore band I like.

On a slightly different tack - Converge, "Fuck me how great are they" question mark?

Yeah, the 'early Refused is best' is more from people trying to maintain an image rather than the actual belief that early Refused holds more weight than latter Refused.

I don't get your Converge thing: You mean you like them, or you were just flexing your right to use sarcasm? I like Converge.You Fail Me is the only Converge album I own, but it's a top album.
Old 06.30.2006, 10:20 PM   #17
Norma J
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
"They told me that the classics never go out of style but...they do...they do. Somehow baby, I never thought that we do too"

It's hard to hear what he says sometimes. No worries though, I thought he said "Item of thought that we do too". But yeah, Refused are great. I met Dennis Lyxzen a few weeks ago at an International Noise Conspiracy concert, but he was in a rush and he hugged me and left. Seems to be a nice guy. Refused are such a good band. They're classics

Yeah I know it's 'told', I fucked up. Same as I didn't put '... never thought that we'd do too'. I fucked up numerous times. But I discovered you can't delete threads. And theres a lesson in there for the kids: Always pay attention!
Old 07.01.2006, 08:46 AM   #18
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Yeah, the 'early Refused is best' is more from people trying to maintain an image rather than the actual belief that early Refused holds more weight than latter Refused.

I don't get your Converge thing: You mean you like them, or you were just flexing your right to use sarcasm? I like Converge.You Fail Me is the only Converge album I own, but it's a top album.

No sarcasm; I really, really like Converge. They make me smile.

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth