Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page need help with a thesis...please?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.28.2009, 07:35 AM   #1
cars_willkillyou
stalker

cars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's asses
For those familiar with The Ballad of Jack and Rose (starring Daniel Day-Lewis and Camilla Belle), I am writing an analytical paper for my Film as Literature class. The paper has to have a strong, unique thesis. I am writing to an audience that has seen and is familiar with the movie. It's not about summarizing the movie, but rather writing about the movie from an in depth perspective.

i have been watching the movie a lot and writing all fucking night, and i just realized that while the body of my paper is pretty strong, my introduction and conclusion is really weak, but this is because I cant figure out how to state my thesis.

I'm trying to tell my reader that The Ballad of Jack and Rose is a realistic character study on how American Society is like a virus that conforms even the strongest of free spirits and independent/individual thinkers to consumerism.

Jack, an engineer and idealist, independent in every regard. He doesnt have a job. He is the last remaining member of an abandoned commune. A devout environmentalist. But with times changing, and his heart failing, he struggles to insure a promising future for his daughter Rose

Rose is very much like her father, only she views the world in a very pure, and innocent way. Her father hasnt exactly "sheltered" her, as we can tell that she knows what television and sex is, but she hasnt been exposed to any opposing belief system other than that of her father's. Therefore, she sees the world not only with innocence, but ignorance as well.

A few things from the movie that I plan on using to support whatever thesis I end up forming are:

"This isn't a house, it's a thing to keep your tv dry."-Jack referring to the new housing development and suburban lifestyle

The scene where Jack informs Rose that there will be people moving in with them for awhile. I believe this to be the most important scene in the movie. We have been introduced to the main characters and have a good idea of who they and what they are about. After Jack returns from sexing up Cathleen, there is a storm and Rose's tree house crashes down. This couldnt be a more appropriate and symbolic setting to foreshadow the events to come. We have the symbol of the treehouse, which symbolizes childhood innocence as well as the concept of a home, or family. The wreckage of that house serving as the setting of Jack telling Rose of his "experiment" foreshadows the end of not only Rose's innocence, but also the destruction of their way of life.

Cathleen and her two sons represent the average modern american family. It is because of their presence that Rose begins acting out. The two families represent two completely different ways of living that obviously cannot co-exist.

Randy, and the housing development represent the idea that American society is more concerned with standard suburban carbon copy lives, influenced day to day by television and consumerism rather than individuality as well as the environment.

of course, theres a lot more to the movie as well as the paper, I just need help forming a strong, unified thesis.

please, and thank you(?)

cars_willkillyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 08:50 AM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not familiar with the film you're writing about but one way of doing it, given that you want to tie it in with a broader idea of the concept of individual freedom (or the lack of) within American society, is to lay out some kind of initial argument around that very point. Maybe look at Seymour Martin Lapset's book American Exceptionalism, William H.Whytes' The Organization Man or Charles Reich's The Greening of America - all of which deal specifically with that topic from various different perspectives. Maybe look at some other films that somehow address that point in slightly different ways, like The Graduate or the Burt Lancaster movie The Swimmer. Ayn Rand's novel The Fountainhead is also a good reference point regarding issues of personal freedom within american society. I'm sure other American members here can recommend some other books and films along those lines but they're the ones i'm aware of. Either way, I think it's a good idea to really ground your notion of freedom, especially with regards the US, before going on to discuss anything in relation to it.

Of course, you may already have done something like this, in which case ignore everything I said.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 08:56 AM   #3
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
I dont know the film, but will join yr discussion club for giggles if I can find it to rent.
Old 04.28.2009, 10:51 AM   #4
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Seems like you've developed your thesis. Why not do a little research and check out things that have been written about the movie, especially anything in scholarly or film trade journals? Not that you would directly take this as your own material or ideas, but you might read some things that help sharpen your focus, and at least you'll be familiar with what has been written.
Old 04.28.2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Seems like you've developed your thesis. Why not do a little research and check out things that have been written about the movie, especially anything in scholarly or film trade journals? Not that you would directly take this as your own material or ideas, but you might read some things that help sharpen your focus, and at least you'll be familiar with what has been written.
This.

When ever I have trouble with a paper I seek some other critical analysis to give myself a kick start.
Old 04.28.2009, 11:45 AM   #6
cars_willkillyou
stalker

cars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's assescars_willkillyou kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm not familiar with the film you're writing about but one way of doing it, given that you want to tie it in with a broader idea of the concept of individual freedom (or the lack of) within American society, is to lay out some kind of initial argument around that very point. Maybe look at Seymour Martin Lapset's book American Exceptionalism, William H.Whytes' The Organization Man or Charles Reich's The Greening of America - all of which deal specifically with that topic from various different perspectives. Maybe look at some other films that somehow address that point in slightly different ways, like The Graduate or the Burt Lancaster movie The Swimmer. Ayn Rand's novel The Fountainhead is also a good reference point regarding issues of personal freedom within american society. I'm sure other American members here can recommend some other books and films along those lines but they're the ones i'm aware of. Either way, I think it's a good idea to really ground your notion of freedom, especially with regards the US, before going on to discuss anything in relation to it.

Of course, you may already have done something like this, in which case ignore everything I said.

thanks. your signature is awesome.

Old 04.28.2009, 11:53 AM   #7
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
By the way, cars don't kill people. Drivers do.
Old 04.28.2009, 12:06 PM   #8
cars_willkillyou
stalker

Quote:
By the way, cars don't kill people. Drivers do.

Yes, but without the vehicle, the driver isnt as likely to kill me. Without the the driver, the vehicle can still spontaneously explode.

thats like saying guns dont kill people, people kill people. What you say is true of course, but cars, guns, knives, poison...they just make it easier to kill people. And the chances are the the average american will either die of heart failure, cancer, or car accident. Probably not in that order either.

Old 04.28.2009, 12:43 PM   #9
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_willkillyou
Yes, but without the vehicle, the driver isnt as likely to kill me. Without the the driver, the vehicle can still spontaneously explode.

thats like saying guns dont kill people, people kill people. What you say is true of course, but cars, guns, knives, poison...they just make it easier to kill people. And the chances are the the average american will either die of heart failure, cancer, or car accident. Probably not in that order either.

Guns don't kill people, rappers do.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2009, 02:43 PM   #10
cars_willkillyou
stalker

Terrorists don't kill people, planes do.

Old 04.28.2009, 02:45 PM   #11
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_willkillyou

Kill your television!
Old 04.30.2009, 10:15 PM   #12
cars_willkillyou
stalker

Quote:
Kill your television!

been there, done that. Threw it off of an old rail road bridge.

Old 04.30.2009, 10:17 PM   #13
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
so, how is it going?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth