Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page ever been in a band you hated being in?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.16.2007, 07:46 AM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Ever been in a band you hated being in but stayed in it for one reason or another?

Stories!!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 08:02 AM   #2
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Not really. The bands I've been in were never serious endeavors and were short-lived.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 08:05 AM   #3
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i was in a band that in the end i hated being in because i made more effort then the other members so it was extremely difficult. example, we went on tour to ireland (booked by me of course) and the guitar player announced on the ferry over that he didnt have any money at all and not even his wallet so we had to buy everything for him.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 02:47 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I was in a blues band where apparently everybody hated me. two faced bastards we played good music for like a year before they finally gave me the boot. no hard feelings though, but I surely didn't get it. bands are like girlfriends, you have to play the game right. further, you have to be careful not to let your old lady know about your potential flings and mistresses... it tends to hurt feelings (helped to instigate my removal)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 02:50 PM   #5
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
Yes

The guitarist was a control freak
Everyone quit
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 04:02 PM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Not for more than 2 rehearsals. I do know someone who was in a band that are doing quite well now (and shall remain nameless) a few years ago, and the rest of the band, being jobless scum, persuaded her to foot the bill for a British tour. On said tour, they managed to not turn up for most of the gigs and spent their time in various cities stealing her money to buy smack. Oddly, it's more of a Wire magazine band than a Libertines-y one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 04:05 PM   #7
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Anngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's asses
If you count the school band in 6th grade..

http://slouchingsunflowers.tumblr.com/
Anngella is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 04:34 PM   #8
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I was in a band that I loved, hated, then loved again.
Glad I waited out the bad part.
I stayed in when I didn't like the music because I had so much love and respect for my bandmates, and tried to forgive our Fearless Leader's questionable aesthetic choices during one particular phase.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2007, 04:47 PM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
my former band had a volatile enviroment the whole time, which made for interesting moments, interesting music and every gig a fucking lottery (you never knew if we were going to play good or be a total mess). but yeah, bastards only fucked up the last time we were together.

i was briefly in another band were the singer was very awful singing, the guitarist was a control freak and the drummer just couldn't stand the guitarist, it was a mess!!! i was playing bass there and basically kinda liked everyone...the guitarist could be a real dick, though.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2007, 03:48 PM   #10
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I was in a classic rock cover band. The second practice, it was the drummer's birthday. The bassist's gift: The Best of Steve Miller. The drummer loved it. I quit.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.17.2007, 04:07 PM   #11
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i was in a band in secondary school, we had a lot of band practices but were still not great. we argued a lot about what we wanted to sound like and eventually the band just fizzled away.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2007, 07:38 AM   #12
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I used to be in a metal band lol!
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2007, 01:59 PM   #13
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I joined a band once because they needed a guitarist to play this show in a month that I would get 125 out of. They ended up finding a more permanent guitarist, but couldn't play the whole show, so my solo act and the 3 piece I was in played. They split it 150/150/200 and I got 2 cuts from being in 2 bands, 1 of which was just me

This is the band:
http://www.myspace.com/nomindframe

Their new guitarist is a HUGE tool. He also has enough technical shit to do lame ass shredding but has not rhythm. The singer of that band decided to cover the White Stripes- Fell in Love With a Girl, and he completely ruined that chord progression. He couldn't get that rhythm down, he just played quarter notes.

The 3rd or 4th practice I was at I taught him their songs which I learned mostly by ear, and inbetween songs he'd go into Steve Vai shit or Blackbird or Green Day.

I'm glad I was only in that band for 3 or 4 practices.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2007, 03:47 PM   #14
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
i have a love/hate relationship with my band. on one hand, when we're focused, we're amazing, and blow minds, but more often than not, we're kinda "off." our...their gear, which isn't really that great, is always falling apart (i try and take care of/repair my shit), we barely ever get more than 2 days of practice in (our frontman lives 8 hours away now) and can be really inconsistent live, our record was recorded in less than 24 hours and it shows at times, we can't settle on a drummer for ANYTHING, and at times it feels like the sounds i create for the songs are too subdued to give way to the songwriting, instead of playing an integral part in the songwriting.

that said, i really love my bandmates and love playing with them. when a gig is good, it's amazing. when we have time to flesh out songs the way we want to, in the studio, it's amazing. when the gear doesn't cut out and leave us high and dry, it's amazing.

i think we could take over the world if we had some sense of stability in regards to the band. it'll probably come with time, though (especially since our frontdude is sober now).

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2007, 11:55 PM   #15
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
I used to be in a band that I didn't really like. The band kicked out their old drummer without telling him and replaced him with me. Jamming with the bassist and one of the guitarists was almost always amazing though. The singer/other guitarist was a douche though. He wrote all the songs and they all sounded like a crappy version of Weezer. Everyone else in the band joked about him but none of us wrote any other songs so we ended up playing his. I think I pissed him off too much though for making fun of him because he pulled the same trick on me and replaced me without telling me. Do I care? Not at all. I'm in a much better band now and we're actually going somewhere with out music.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2010, 12:41 PM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
2 1/2 years later, there's gotta be some more interesting stories.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2010, 12:45 PM   #17
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Not really anything interesting for me besides just thinking some of the members are assholes or they avoided practice to hang with their girlfriends or whatever.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2010, 12:49 PM   #18
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, all of them. Mostly because I hate myself and I'm in them, so by association.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2010, 02:19 PM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
2 1/2 years later, there's gotta be some more interesting stories.

I was in a shit folk band who actually got shitter after I left. I was kicked out for drinking too much and being awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2010, 02:33 PM   #20
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I was kicked out for drinking too much and being awesome.

Psh people be hatin' when they can't hang and party as much as you.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth