Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what really is selling out?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.18.2006, 01:44 PM   #1
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
What would you call it? I'm totally against mainstream radio. I'm not trying to impress with that statement, that's just stupid, I'm just laying the ground work for the rest of the story. But that being said, me and a friend got an opportunity to do some end credit music for a show on MTV. Would it be selling out to take that up? I don't feel it is. I mean, granted, it's not what I want to do with music, and I would just be doing it for the money, but look at it this way: I just quit a job cleaning windows. I HATED that job. But I needed the money so I did it anyway, and I would say there are a lot of people in here going through the same situation. So if that's ok, wouldn't it be just as fine to do another job that I'm not crazy about just for the money, especially if it is at least somewhat related to something I enjoy doing? It's not like I'm trading it out for doing the music I want to do; it's just something on the side for some cash. Any opinions?
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 01:48 PM   #2
compulsive diarrhea, jico
100%

compulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
(...)wouldn't it be just as fine to do another job that I'm not crazy about just for the money, especially if it is at least somewhat related to something I enjoy doing? it's just something on the side for some cash.

that's prostitution!
compulsive diarrhea, jico is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 02:24 PM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
selling out is

when you make decisions about your craft (art/music/dance/literature/etc.) based on what will sell the most as opposed to what would be the BEST for the piece in question. that to me is selling out.

an artist/musician/writer can try anything, and attempt anything, but when they try to just polish it up so the lowest-common denominator out there likes it and thereby they sell a lot more, that is selling out.
Old 12.18.2006, 02:31 PM   #4
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
selling out is

when you make decisions about your craft (art/music/dance/literature/etc.) based on what will sell the most as opposed to what would be the BEST for the piece in question. that to me is selling out.

an artist/musician/writer can try anything, and attempt anything, but when they try to just polish it up so the lowest-common denominator out there likes it and thereby they sell a lot more, that is selling out.

money
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 02:41 PM   #5
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
selling out is

that works for me. for this deal, I just see it as a job. they are going to tell me what they want, and I will try and do it for them. that's how every other job works. it's not like I'm doing my own thing and trying to make it just to sell. i'm doing a side job for somebody, that's all.
Old 12.18.2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Prisstina
the end of the ugly

Prisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's asses
If you want to take the job for the sake of making music, go for it.

If you want to take the job for the cash you'll reel in, go for it. We'll just all make fun of you.

Prisstina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 02:55 PM   #7
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Selling out is just as rob stated, but if you are making money because you are desperate than go for it.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 03:04 PM   #8
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisstina
If you want to take the job for the sake of making music, go for it.

If you want to take the job for the cash you'll reel in, go for it. We'll just all make fun of you.

Fair enough
Although I would classify it more as taking the job for the cash, and it being better than doing something else for the same money that I have NO interest in.

I don't like MTV, and I don't like their music, but I do like their money
Old 12.18.2006, 03:40 PM   #9
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Does it count as selling out if a good band signs on to a label with crappy artists, but spends a lot of their money and doesn't make any music with it?

That's what My Bloody Valentine did to Island records.

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 03:44 PM   #10
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
Does it count as selling out if a good band signs on to a label with crappy artists, but spends a lot of their money and doesn't make any music with it?

That's what My Bloody Valentine did to Island records.

No, I think that would be taking a crappy system and turning it around to exploit it for your own benifit, which I am all for
Old 12.18.2006, 03:46 PM   #11
afterthefact
invito al cielo

And you know, come to think of it, Joey Santiago of the Pixies is doing music for Fox now. He didn't sell out though, he just took a job...
Old 12.18.2006, 03:48 PM   #12
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Examples of sell-out bands:
Scissor Shock
Anything Erik Wivinus related
Yellow Swans
Arab on Radar
Old 12.18.2006, 03:52 PM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Take the job, for fuck's sake. I shouldn't even be bother with constructing an argument for it. You'd be an idiot not to, you probably won't make it as a musician doing what you want to - this isn't a qualitative statement, it's a statistical fact, and even if you never sell out your principles, 99% of people may still think your music is shit. Again, not a personal dig (haven't heard your stuff) but to not take a job doing something you're good at/ enjoy is ridiculous, to my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 03:54 PM   #14
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
With everyone downloading everything, this is one of few avenues to make some cash playing music. It isn't half as "sellout" as playing in a cover band or writing jingles either.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 03:54 PM   #15
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Do it.
Old 12.18.2006, 03:55 PM   #16
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
We are all whores at one level or another anyway.
Old 12.18.2006, 03:56 PM   #17
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
We are all whores at one level or another anyway.

I think you mean one corner or another.
Old 12.18.2006, 03:57 PM   #18
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
With everyone downloading everything, this is one of few avenues to make some cash playing music. It isn't half as "sellout" as playing in a cover band or writing jingles either.

What's wrong with cover bands, might I ask? Admitedly, I never want to see one again, but one of my New Year ruses to play out more is a covers band.

I remember an interview with Mogwai where they said they put their music on adverts/ video games because they weren't going to get on the radio because of the sort of music they play. Which makes more sense that not putting your music on an advert because you get enough radioplay as it is.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 04:01 PM   #19
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

I think as long as you're OK with the product or service, who cares? I think letting someone use an existing song is a far cry from writing a jingle too.
Low refused money from a Japanese beer company, but they let The Gap use their version of "little Drummer Boy" a few Christmases back. They have a family to support and they are good people. I won't judge them for it. I'm sure Graeme Revell makes a far better living making Hollywood soundtracks than he did with SPK too, and judging from the last stretch of SPK releases, I'm glad he made the switch to avoid further tarnishing the good name of that fine outfit.
Old 12.18.2006, 04:05 PM   #20
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hTwl-y2EFkc
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth