Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page albums that you love that people would hate you for
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.13.2012, 03:43 AM   #41
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
I can't stand anything by the Stones after the early '70s. The '80s were terrible for them, and even though they had a big "come back" in the '90s, the music was tepid and boring.

Still, I saw them on the Voodoo Lounge tour and on the Bridges to Babylon tour, and they rocked both times.
This is one of the "common truths" in R´n´r-world. And I think many keep saying that "truth" even they´re never heard those after exile albums. And I bet nobody here in SYG except me has listened Voodoo lounge and Bridges to Babylon entirely. My opinion is that they´re better than most of the albums that was made in nineties.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2012, 05:02 PM   #42
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
I've been enjoying the horrors alot recently. The nme suck them off bigtime so im bound to get shit for that
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2012, 08:12 PM   #43
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
And I bet nobody here in SYG except me has listened Voodoo lounge and Bridges to Babylon entirely.

You'd be wrong there.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2012, 08:12 PM   #44
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
And I bet nobody here in SYG except me has listened Voodoo lounge and Bridges to Babylon entirely.

You'd be wrong there.
Old 02.14.2012, 08:17 PM   #45
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Every facet of my musical taste annoys someone to some degree. Its Almost like this is a redundant question... anyway, heres Mike and the Mechanics to restore you to equilibrium

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.14.2012, 08:18 PM   #46
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
It is utterly shite though.

Not utterly, but largely. Its bulkily shite.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2012, 08:46 PM   #47
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Not utterly, but largely. Its bulkily shite.

Jet Set is so not shit. It's a fantastic album. When you really break it down, there isn't a single pockmark on it. It is not SY's best but my god, it actually changed my life more than any of their others.

Like a lot of people here (sounds like, anyway), ETJSTANS was the first SY album I was exposed to. So it forever shaped my outlook of the band, and that outlook is based on that album and its ferocity and weirdness. at first I thought SY was a Beck-type band... then I was exposed to the real world of sy but it all started with EJS.

"Sweet Shine" is one of the best sy songs on record ever. I love it. And we all remember 'bull in the heather" creeping onto mtv late at night! EJS was my introdution to the whole thing, and will always be special to me.
Old 02.15.2012, 10:11 PM   #48
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
"Sweet Shine" is the best. the fav kim song.

Truth! Actually, it's not my favorite Kim song at all, but it's totally up there among both SY overall and Kim tunes. Not as good as Sympathy for the Strawberry though.
Old 02.15.2012, 11:12 PM   #49
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Jet Set is so not shit. It's a fantastic album. When you really break it down, there isn't a single pockmark on it. It is not SY's best but my god, it actually changed my life more than any of their others.

Like a lot of people here (sounds like, anyway), ETJSTANS was the first SY album I was exposed to. So it forever shaped my outlook of the band, and that outlook is based on that album and its ferocity and weirdness. at first I thought SY was a Beck-type band... then I was exposed to the real world of sy but it all started with EJS.

"Sweet Shine" is one of the best sy songs on record ever. I love it. And we all remember 'bull in the heather" creeping onto mtv late at night! EJS was my introdution to the whole thing, and will always be special to me.

I personally wouldn't go that far, but it's evident that you think so highly of it because it was your introduction. I wasn't trying to insinuate that it's amazing or anything, just really fun to listen to every once in a while. Has two of my favorite SY songs (Bull in the Heather and Skink). It is weird to hear how they incorporated a sort of "pop" style with some of the elements of their previous work. I still haven't gotten into dirty... but it's probably the only one I haven't heard many times. just an odd phase for the band and I understand completely why majority of their fan base dislikes it. I guess I'm just one of the few. Another I really like is the self titled release. That one really stands out as well. It has perplexed me quite a bit that I've hardly seen it mentioned around here.
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 07:28 AM   #50
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Jet-set is my least favourite SY-album. But it´s still one of the 20 best albums of the nineties in my opinion. I was very disappointed when it came, but I have learned to love it later.

The first album is just great, very unique in SY-albums. I love it immediately when I heard it. And Dirty is also just great!!! It was third SY-album I heard. When I heard 100% first time, I thought had they gone into some kind of Nirvana-style. I was still a little bit unsure with Swimsuit, but then came Theresa and I knew this is the band I love.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 05:59 PM   #51
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
I personally wouldn't go that far, but it's evident that you think so highly of it because it was your introduction. I wasn't trying to insinuate that it's amazing or anything, just really fun to listen to every once in a while. Has two of my favorite SY songs (Bull in the Heather and Skink). It is weird to hear how they incorporated a sort of "pop" style with some of the elements of their previous work. I still haven't gotten into dirty... but it's probably the only one I haven't heard many times. just an odd phase for the band and I understand completely why majority of their fan base dislikes it. I guess I'm just one of the few. Another I really like is the self titled release. That one really stands out as well. It has perplexed me quite a bit that I've hardly seen it mentioned around here.

Dirty is great!! I really don't understand all the hatred surrounding it. SY did grunge better than any of the grunge bands. "100%" is like the perfect grunge song... It was a time-piece. A product of an era. The 120 minutes era.

Plus, the second half of Dirty is flawless. There's some absolutely great jamming on that album. Everyone else in '91 was jamming Jane's Addiction style- major chords and pseudo-metal shredding... SY was doing their own thing while at the same time making the best product out there.

Dirty is three times the record Nevermind is.

I also love the s/t debut. It's got a great sound to it, and has a few of my favorite tracks. "Burning Spear"... what a great intro for the band! I wish they'd incorporated more of that dub/reggae influence into their later work, but I guess shifting drummers made that tough.

Am I the only one here who unabashedly loves every single album SY has ever done?
Old 02.16.2012, 06:01 PM   #52
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Dirty is three times the record Nevermind is.

nah
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 06:14 PM   #53
Murmer99
stalker

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, that's ridiculous
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 06:16 PM   #54
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
i'd listen to dirty over nevermind any day of the week

nevermind obviously had a bigger impact on the world, but 20 odd years later dirty sounds soooo much better than nevermind
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 06:20 PM   #55
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
It's ridiculous you are putting those records one against the other. And useless, like most things you lot say.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 06:57 PM   #56
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Comparisons are odious.
Old 02.16.2012, 07:04 PM   #57
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Am I the only one here who unabashedly loves every single album SY has ever done?

No. I do too...

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2012, 07:14 PM   #58
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I don't. I love a lot of them. Some I only like, but at least there are none I dislike.

I tend to find the stuff post-Dirty to be a little boring.
Old 02.16.2012, 07:49 PM   #59
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Ooh touched a nerve!
Old 02.16.2012, 07:52 PM   #60
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
It's ridiculous you are putting those records one against the other. And useless, like most things you lot say.

Of course it's ridiculous, you stick-in-the-mud... and as useless as any comparison. But I did it, and that's that so lighten up.

Besides, they're both Butch Vig recordings of semi-similar bands making a break for pop success. Nevermind doesn't sound anywhere near as good as Dirty, though it is a freaking monolith.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth