Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page jandek - skirting the edge===best album of all time
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.28.2009, 02:27 AM   #41
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I watched a movie tonight called "zero" and the entire film is one guy walking around his house, ranting weirdly, walking through the woods behind his house, and having bizarre hallucinations. I enjoyed in it the same thing I enjoy about Jandek. The isolation and loneliness of his recordings are fascinating (even the recordings apparently with other people on them), and you're always left with a lot of questions at the end of every album. He pays no attention to sequencing, not that it would matter, and he doesn't really seem to care if anyone listens or not. The songs feel like journals that a guy keeps, and there just happens to be some detuned guitar underneath it all. I just love this stuff, it's so interesting that it's ridiculous. I wonder if they'll ever make an updated Jandek on Corwood doc since he started playing live shortly after the release of that. Also, even though it's none of my business, and I'm sure it'll come up in one of his lyrics some day anyway, I wonder if Jandek has made enough money off of his records to get into a psychiatrist? May he never take antidepressants and never tune his guitar either!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 12:33 PM   #42
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
btw
does anyone know a blog or something where you can download his stuff?

ive got 6 or 7 albums only.. i want the whole discography
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 03:51 PM   #43
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Sandbag]
btw
does anyone know a blog or something where you can download his stuff?

ive got 6 or 7 albums only.. i want the whole discography

download soulseek and add the user "bisonn" to yr friends list. he has nearly every jandek album.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 04:51 PM   #44
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
i'm watching the documentary now. Interesting.
Old 01.28.2009, 05:52 PM   #45
al shabbray

damn, I got an error on that page when I try downloading
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 06:46 PM   #46
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
this works on my side
Old 01.28.2009, 06:57 PM   #47
al shabbray

thanks. I will watch the docu now. try downloading later again
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 07:18 PM   #48
greedrex
invito al cielo

God i love this song, it's too short.
Old 01.28.2009, 07:22 PM   #49
al shabbray

which one?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2009, 07:26 PM   #50
greedrex
invito al cielo

oops sorry : Nancy sings

i dunno what to think of this though.
Old 01.28.2009, 09:11 PM   #51
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
add last_one_standing or Robe Flesh to your soulseek (if you have the new version of soulseek)

they have every jandek album... live albums, studio albums, covers albums, even that techno remix album... etc. Haha.

Old 01.28.2009, 10:51 PM   #52
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
i'm watching the documentary now. Interesting.

That guy Brooks Martin from KAOS is a good friend and former bandmate of mine. I didn't even know he was in it when I sat down to watch it. The documentary was alright, but I was annoyed by how even among these hardcore Jandek fans they're going on about how he must be mentally ill, which I don't agree with at all. Kudos to Calvin for speaking up about the fact that just because somebody refuses to participate in the accepted media circus on the normal terms does not make him crazy or even reclusive.

Still, I think the documentary was directly responsible for making Jandek finally decide to get out and play live under that name, so I thank it profusely for that. The man is one of the very best live performers I've ever witnessed.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2009, 09:42 AM   #53
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
this album is good but i still cant see what the real big deal is with jandek... god ive tried but no! what am i missing?
Old 01.29.2009, 03:12 PM   #54
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I dunno.

It's just extremely arresting, interesting noisey avant-blues. It's good to put on 3 AM when you're drunk and depressed. I usually don't care about lyrics but Jandek's lyrics are just awesome.. I just can't casually listen to it, you know. It doesn't make good background music. I have to really focus on it. But when it clicks, there's nothing like it in the world.

Old 02.02.2009, 03:35 AM   #55
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
i really have to try harder.... today i am gonna become immersed in my jandek mini collection and answer the question..... ill either dload the entire back catalogue or never listen to him again!
Old 02.02.2009, 06:05 AM   #56
al shabbray

hope you do the first
its growing and growing
looking forward to hear more of his evil stuff

this is by far the most "commercial" thing Ive heard by him so far, but still great
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=vVfydUa-I78
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2009, 12:12 AM   #57
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
So I gave the whole thing a solid listen. Certainly great, but I can't honestly say I find it to be his "best". But then he's got some pretty incredible records that are steep competition. Weird how his voice seems deeper. I wonder why?
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2009, 07:26 AM   #58
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Since I've finally gotten around to listening to all the live albums, I'm going to compile a Jandek top 10 at this point, in my opinion...

1. Khartoum
2. Shadow of Leaves
3. Chair Beside a Window
4. White Box Requiem
5. Put My Dream on This Planet
6. Myth of Blue Icicles
7. Humility of Pain
8. Ruins of Adventure
9. Six and Six
10. Skirting the Edge

Old 02.07.2009, 02:10 PM   #59
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

jesus, maybe im doing something wrong. i mean this album is ok, no more no less.. ive yet to be wowed by jandek.... maybe i should start listening to his albums sideways or something.......

sorry, but i know im in the minority here but fuck i am trying to see whats so fucking special about him.... i love the whole myth and misique about jandek and the product of jandek but music isnt getting to me at all...... ok his lyrics are quite good and at points entertaining but so is sports commentary...

sorry, but im almost done trying to appreciate jandek, ive spent 5 years trying to an blue icicles came ral damn close to convincing me......i did say almost done!
Old 02.07.2009, 02:27 PM   #60
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
You don't like him, that's fine! Stop trying to convince yourself he's good
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth