Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Shooting at Virginia Tech campus
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.16.2007, 02:32 PM   #81
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jico.
how come after an extensive list of massacres and etc. they still have the same gun policy... that's what is stupid.

thats my point exactly.

after dunblane happened they made handguns illegal, after hungerford they mad automatic rifles illegal. why doesnt america follow suit? they can change the constitution for anything they want and have illegal wars etc so why not this. granted it would not be a good vote winner which probably why not.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 02:34 PM   #82
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
The generation x thing is a tad too utopian for such things and it normally gets an interesting discussion into a cul de sac.
who said generation X, i said generation Y (1979-1997), thats the generation the birthed the people that went on to commit the columbine massacre and this massacre.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 02:36 PM   #83
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico.
how come after an extensive list of massacres and etc. they still have the same gun policy... that's what is stupid.
Well, how come after all the atrocities that happen anywhere, not just in the USA, nothing is done either? That's really stupid too, isn't it?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 02:37 PM   #84
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
who said generation X, i said generation Y (1979-1997), thats the generation the birthed the people that went on to commit the columbine massacre and this massacre.
X or Y, nonsense they are.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 02:40 PM   #85
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Well, how come after all the atrocities that happen anywhere, not just in the USA, nothing is done either?

hungerford - automatic rifles illegal
dunblane - handguns illegal
stephen lawrence - knife crime dealt with very harshly

i see your point but some things do happen.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 04.16.2007, 02:41 PM   #86
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
what is americas fascination with guns?

that is just a question not an accusation as some will have it.

i just made a whole school work about this matter. it's not that americans own so much more guns, it's more like they use them quicker.. and this has to do with the idea of 'protecting your family' and the fears that's being pumped in through the media. sickening.

it's really horrible that things like this can happen. it doesn't happen in america only, but seems to be much more common there. any opinions on the reason?

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 02:45 PM   #87
jon boy
invito al cielo

yes i would say its the state of fear that america lives in. when i was there the news was like a comedy show. i laughed so much.

also i guess it is engrained into the culture with things like the legend of cowboys and indians and gangsters etc. its become part of society which is very sad.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 04.16.2007, 02:46 PM   #88
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
hungerford - automatic rifles illegal
dunblane - handguns illegal
stephen lawrence - knife crime dealt with very harshly

i see your point but some things do happen.
Yes, but hasn't gun crime risen quite a bit in England? Have race-hate crimes decreased? Has crime generally decreased anywhere, and not just in Britain? For real? Has it really?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 02:46 PM   #89
jon boy
invito al cielo

but you dont get as many people with ak47's as in america do you?

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 04.16.2007, 02:48 PM   #90
sarramkrop

So what you're basically saying is that everything needs to be compared to what is done in the USA, in order to make you feel good? They kill more people, therefore there's nothing wrong over here.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 02:49 PM   #91
jon boy
invito al cielo

no i am not saying that at all.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 04.16.2007, 02:50 PM   #92
sarramkrop

That's the way it came accross. A bit like worrying about what's happening in your neighbour's garden while the landmower is going mental into your own.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 02:51 PM   #93
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
like i said earlier...

getting rid of guns will not solve problems like this
what about homemade bombs? knifes? etc.
we need more security at public places
more cameras
etc.etc.etc.

A good short-term plan, maybe, but that's always a slippery slope.

Really the only thing that could help would be a 180-degree societal turnaround. And we all know that won't happen. I'm not saying it to be bitter, it's just reality. It's nothing that one person or one policy could ever solve.

So it's just going to happen again, and everyone will Boo-hoo over it for a while, and then they'll get on with their lives, after internalizing absolutely none of what just happened.

I remember when Columbine happened and how freaked out I was afterward because I could easily put myself in the place of both the shooters and the victims. The social aspect of school has never been an easy thing for me, but I could say that for at least a dozen other kids I've known. So really, after Columbine, a lot of kids were being singled out as future potential murderers basically, and were really kept a close eye on by the school faculty. My own parents sat me down and had a talk with me because they knew I was being teased in school by certain people. It made me feel like I had done something wrong. The teachers of course were trying to cut down on bullying, but you could still tell they were frightened of the kids who were being bullied. So all of their good intentions were for naught. It just created a deeper divide between the bullies and the bullied. In grade school this was a bigger deal than in high school, I would think. Although people do become meaner in high school, there are more outlets for kids there too, which offers some escape. I just can't help but think about all of the kids I knew in grade school who were routinely picked on. Most were from broken homes (which eventually included even myself I suppose), some had older brothers/sisters who were into hard drugs, others were just quiet or didn't fit in because they had been moved up in school and weren't the same age as everyone else. A lot of school policies changed after Columbine, but nothing else did, which may be part of the problem.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 02:53 PM   #94
jon boy
invito al cielo

pork, you said nothing gets done and i said that after dunblane etc they banned hand guns. i feel safer knowing that not just anyone has them.

that is not comparing america to anything.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 04.16.2007, 02:55 PM   #95
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
while i feel sad about the victims, i'm going to quit talking about this, for the following reasons:

1. wallowing in these events only spreads the negativity & fearmongering further
  2. whatever i can discuss here is not going to help either me nor the victims
  3. giving too much attention to this only whets the appetite of attention whores who may wish to commit similar acts in the future.
  4. sure i cannot beat the mass media at their game but i'm content with scoring a personal victory & maybe somebody else will do the same.
call me crazy. i'm not indifferent to this, but i don't see how i can do anything else by hammering on it.

well fucking said.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 02:56 PM   #96
sarramkrop

Sure, but do you REALISTICALLY expect that what was done is going to stop anything like that happening again? In fact, wasn't there another case of someone going mental with a knife near a school after that? I'm not sure if i remember well, so excuse my memory.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 02:56 PM   #97
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
For the record, I don't really like to hold or even look at guns. My mom made my dad stop hunting as soon as I was born. I watched Bambi a lot as a kid. I'm probably a big softie. Marilyn Manson rules. Etc, etc.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 02:57 PM   #98
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
And some of them may have probably been killed before reaching university age.

You didn't catch my blatant sarcasm did you?

Oh plus

*devil's advocate* that's speculative *devil's advocate*
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 03:01 PM   #99
sarramkrop

How can sarcasm be really sarcasm if it's blatant? That's the recipe for mass murder.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 03:05 PM   #100
jon boy
invito al cielo

Quote:
Sure, but do you REALISTICALLY expect that what was done is going to stop anything like that happening again? In fact, wasn't there another case of someone going mental with a knife near a school after that? I'm not sure if i remember well, so excuse my memory.

no and i am not saying that.

there will always be people who go crazy and do terrible things but do you think its a good idea if they have easy access to firearms?

having seen first hand what guns can do i dont think it is.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth