Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page green day
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.27.2006, 07:34 PM   #41
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
(Noise is best experienced on ket).
Bus station says no.NO.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 07:34 PM   #42
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
When I was a kid and "political music" inspired me (unlike now, when all it inspires me to do is mourn the fact that I cannot simultaneously vomit and offer up a scathing critique on the cartoonish hilarity of musicians who want to "change the world" via song), I can assure you that whether or not the singer "meant it, man" was extremely important to me.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 07:38 PM   #43
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
I never got into them, which is weird because I used to like Blink-182 when I was 15. The only songs of theirs I've ever heard are ones off American Idiot because that album was advertised so much. I just don't like how they keep calling themselves punks to look cool.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 07:42 PM   #44
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
When I was a kid and "political music" inspired me (unlike now, when all it inspires me to do is mourn the fact that I cannot simultaneously vomit and offer up a scathing critique on the cartoonish hilarity of musicians who want to "change the world" via song), I can assure you that whether or not the singer "meant it, man" was extremely important to me.

I happen to think that most people who do political music really, genuinely mean it. This runs from u2 down to Chumbawumba or Crass. They all mean it, man. You can criticise the politics, but 'authenticity' is a piss-awful criterion for doing so.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 07:43 PM   #45
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
For the record, I have an awful lot of Billy Bragg records.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 11.27.2006, 07:45 PM   #46
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I used to have some Billy Bragg records. In high school.
Sincerity is not an issue there, but I have no stomach for it anymore.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 07:48 PM   #47
Glice
invito al cielo

He's among my favourite singers who can't sing.

Quote:
Old 11.27.2006, 07:50 PM   #48
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I used to sit to 'Levis' tears 'or whatever it is called with my sister and think it was cool.I think both him and...................you get the drift.

Old 11.27.2006, 07:51 PM   #49
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
He's among my favourite singers who can't sing.
You have bad taste,young man.Just,sometimes.

Old 11.27.2006, 08:58 PM   #50
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
I can't stand them.
Oh, and the Billy whatever the fuck his name is is soooo not hot.

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2006, 11:28 PM   #51
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
It's funny when you see throughout the board people mentioning bands and/or artists that are just downright shit, and then in another thread they bag out a band who they don't happen to like, like they totally forgot they like shit music themselves. Porkmarras.
Old 11.28.2006, 12:38 AM   #52
lithium
little trouble girl

lithium is a splendid one to beholdlithium is a splendid one to beholdlithium is a splendid one to beholdlithium is a splendid one to beholdlithium is a splendid one to beholdlithium is a splendid one to beholdlithium is a splendid one to beholdlithium is a splendid one to behold
I hate them, It's like a vain attempt to be robert smith, this guy.
lithium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2006, 02:38 AM   #53
yumopal
little trouble girl

yumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud ofyumopal has much to be proud of
when i listen to their albums , i feel bored
don't like them and those kind of bands
yumopal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2006, 08:25 AM   #54
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
You have bad taste,young man.Just,sometimes.

That's important though, isn't it? I know a lot of things I really like aren't 'cool', I know some of it isn't actually that good (Gene), but I can't help enjoying some things. I'm a slave to my emotional responses, not to my ration. I would rather be that way than any other, and I'm pretty sure you're much the same.

Quote:
Old 11.28.2006, 01:14 PM   #55
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
I'd just liek to toss my two cents out there as I used to be a big GD fan... i actually saw them on their american idiot tour (hey, everyone's gotta have that one big arena rock show, right?), which was about my last bout of enjoying them. I gave all their cds to my lil bro because i got into them around middle school, about the time warning came out.. and I really liked the cd, it being on eof my first and not knowing how badly they copped off 'picturebook' for the title track. I gave my bro these cds a good long while ago and don't think I've listened to any of them in a couple of years... i remember trying and failing.

I'd also like to say I've considered a fairly punk-persona-person :: Around the same time I ws listening to green day I was also buying dead kennedys, black flag, ramones, clash, nofx(a touch of more recent bands-but also childish and appealing to a high schooler), etc. And while I eventually figured GD were pretty damn commercial at times, and by american idiot were being marketed in such a way to appeal to all that good charollette shit ("You've heard good charollette rock the punx! Now watch the masters take control -complete with black eye liner-) and I thought it was thoroughly lame. But that crappy costume scheme aside I could still enjoy american idiot. By this time I think was a junior or senior- I'd come along way from finding a tape of dookie in an old tape player in the 7th grade and still got my kicks. But I'd soon capsize into either some kind of elitist cunt or just got bored- i think it was both. SOon bands like green day and weezer (whom i loved a lot) just didn't do it for me anymore- i took to sonic youth and the velvet underground, and such. It wasn;t that I no longer deemed GD cool, it just got broing after so many countless listenes.

In recent times I've been rekindling love for music that I had pushed away at younger days. LIke led zeppelin and such who'd i'd gotten tire dof and thought were overrated (still maybe, but good). I also fell out of punk at one point and sold a lot of cds (how i let myself get rid of fresh fruit for rotting vegetables still bothers me) and it's by far one of the most exhilirating things to still be able to enjoy my own little slice of anti-establishment-- even if i am some suburban white-kid pacifist who's never been to too many actual punk shows and has a deep seeded love for 5 minte guitar solos and jazz. HEy, who says you have to listen to punk (solely) to be a punk? I don't. Can you be a punk and listen to green day? Yea, just don't go out of your way to let anyone know.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2006, 06:17 PM   #56
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
theyve never been anything other than a massive pop group to me, and i think they did it very very well on Dookie which i still enjoy giving a spin on occasion. American Idiot is a nice effort, a few really really great singles from that album. So theyve not changed in my eyes, i still see them as some nice harmless tuneful mindless pop rock music. And thats no bad thing.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2006, 02:23 AM   #57
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
Green Day's American Idiot stole the story of HUsker Du's Zen Arcade. Compare the lyrics and you'll see that the story is basically the same.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2006, 02:35 PM   #58
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
I agree the first 4 kick ass all the rest sucked
Old 11.30.2006, 08:35 PM   #59
transmogrifier
empty page

transmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's assestransmogrifier kicks all y'all's asses
They are just great. Haters keep on hating. Your cred is safe.
transmogrifier is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2006, 08:38 PM   #60
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmogrifier
They are just great. Haters keep on hating. Your cred is safe.

Prime example of Porkmarras' thesis in the "Rather Ripped ROCKS! thread" being accurate.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth