Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Turn up the treble
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.11.2009, 12:46 AM   #1
gleeman
empty page

gleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's asses
So I'm digging The Eternal but the mix is killing me.....Its loud, but its swamped in bass, muddy and atrocious....had me wondering WTF?

Till I heard it.....Kim telling me to "Turn Up the Treble" , right there on the opening track.

Cranked the treble on my stereo and.....sweet! Suddenly it sounded like Sonic Youth.

Anyone else find the sound on this record odd? Why'd they mix it like this? Just to sound good on ipods?
gleeman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 12:54 AM   #2
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
That's an odd thing to say. I've been convinced that all my headphones suck. And/or that they did the weirder [subtle] things more subtly ["well then, that's just stupid!"]. But if it wasn't the headphones or the other one, was Kim dissatisfied with the levels and trying to subtly hint to listeners?
Either I don't understand the point of "repping," or I do and it really is pointless. Fortunately I'm colorblind, so it wouldn't make sense to concern myself with being concerned about it in the first place.

www.myspace.com/koolthing78
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 04:14 AM   #3
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
I'm still waiting for my Eternal CD, so I can't tell ya.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 04:34 AM   #4
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
probably because they used some classic analogue gear to record and mix the whole album so it often has a remarkable mid range and cuts out some of the higher frequencies (if the mixboard is overdriven) to give the whole thing some 'warmth' ...
but thats just a guess. i havent heard the album in good quality yet

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 05:05 AM   #5
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
I always turn up the treble anyway so it sounds perfectly fine to me. I hate midrange mixes, they bother me.
Old 06.11.2009, 06:30 AM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"Turn down the volume!
Turn down the bass!
Turn up the midrange slightly!
Now turn up the treble!
Yeah!"

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 07:02 AM   #7
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
probably because they used some classic analogue gear to record and mix the whole album so it often has a remarkable mid range and cuts out some of the higher frequencies (if the mixboard is overdriven) to give the whole thing some 'warmth' ...
but thats just a guess. i havent heard the album in good quality yet

if thats a reason I would be a sucker for it...cant wait
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 07:27 AM   #8
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I guess it sounds different based on the system you play it on anyway.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 07:33 AM   #9
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
If anything, this is probably the least "iPod-friendly" SY album next to Sister, which is a good thing. I thought RR was mastered way too loud. This one sounds just fine.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 07:50 AM   #10
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicfit
I guess it sounds different based on the system you play it on anyway.
mastering is supposed to tak ecare of the differences between listening systems.
I found the overall sound on the CD kind of weird also. Lack of high-mid + treble. O well.
Old 06.11.2009, 09:31 AM   #11
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
"Turn down the volume!
Turn down the bass!
Turn up the midrange slightly!
Now turn up the treble!
Yeah!"

Wasn't there a song by that limp bizkit side project Big Dumb Face that had something like that?
Old 06.11.2009, 09:47 AM   #12
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
mastering is supposed to tak ecare of the differences between listening systems.
that does not apply to crappy/"wrong" equipment.
try to listen to it on 1/2" inch deep pc speakers and tell me how mastering is supposed to take care of that .
Or try and listen to a record with jsut a 18" subwoofer, tell me how mastering is supposed to take care of that .
Old 06.11.2009, 09:49 AM   #13
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
i think you're thinkign of the song "rebel" ... "So you say i'm the rebel, turn down the bass and turn up the treble" if I remember correctly.

Old 06.11.2009, 09:49 AM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Big Dumb Face rules. Actually, everything with Wes Borland involved is usually good.

Old 06.11.2009, 10:07 AM   #15
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
i think you're thinkign of the song "rebel" ... "So you say i'm the rebel, turn down the bass and turn up the treble" if I remember correctly.

Yeahhhhh I think that was it! That album was really fun at the time.
Old 06.11.2009, 12:25 PM   #16
gleeman
empty page

gleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's assesgleeman kicks all y'all's asses
It's not a question of my equipment which I'm well familiar with.....I'm listening to the (supposedly HQ) vinyl on my high quality system including nice reference speakers with a flat frequency response which bring out the true natural sound of most recordings......99% of my records sound awesome with my amp set flat but The Eternal is completely lacking in upper-mid and treble frequencies. Its the only album in my large collection that requires me to turn the treble all the way up just to get a reasonable sound.

This seems beyond merely going for anologue "warmth".....and other recent indie rock releases I've picked up on HQ vinyl manage to have creamy warm sound with all the treble frequencies in tact . To satisfy my curiousity I downloaded the mp3s and its the same muddy sound, only in crappier mp3 quality.

Mind you, it sounds pretty good once the treble is cranked, but I shouldn't have to do that.
Old 06.11.2009, 12:31 PM   #17
nicfit
invito al cielo

I didn't mean that you're not "well equipped" or not entitled to an opinion, just wanted to point out that replies might be dramatically different according to each listener's equipment/listening habits/ears, after all.
Old 06.11.2009, 02:09 PM   #18
gleeman
empty page

no worries nicfit, of course you're right it depends on how you're listening to it; I just wanted to clarify how I'm listening to it!
Old 06.11.2009, 02:14 PM   #19
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleeman
.99% of my records sound awesome with my amp set flat but The Eternal is completely lacking in upper-mid and treble frequencies. Its the only album in my large collection that requires me to turn the treble all the way up just to get a reasonable sound.

at last
some sense.
Old 06.11.2009, 03:24 PM   #20
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleeman
So I'm digging The Eternal but the mix is killing me.....Its loud, but its swamped in bass, muddy and atrocious....had me wondering WTF?

Till I heard it.....Kim telling me to "Turn Up the Treble" , right there on the opening track.

Cranked the treble on my stereo and.....sweet! Suddenly it sounded like Sonic Youth.

Anyone else find the sound on this record odd? Why'd they mix it like this? Just to sound good on ipods?

Yup I can't stand the mix myself. I wish they'd bring back Richard Hell. Sonic Nurse sounds perfect!
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth