Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page LA Listening Party
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.28.2009, 04:57 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth Record Release Party!
Shiloe and Pocahaunted
Tuesday 9 June 2009 at 7:00pm
Origami Vinyl
1816 W Sunset Blvd
Echo Park, Ca 90026

Sonic Youth “The Eternal” Celebration
Live in-store performance from Pocahaunted & Shiloe and special in-store activities provided by Not Not Fun @ 6:30pm + SPECIAL surprises, including some "Eternal" Pizza from Two Boots and Beer.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2009, 02:49 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
Shiloe and Pocahaunted
Tuesday 9 June 2009 at 7:00pm
Origami Vinyl
1816 W Sunset Blvd
Echo Park, Ca 90026

Sonic Youth “The Eternal” Celebration
Live in-store performance from Pocahaunted & Shiloe and special in-store activities provided by Not Not Fun @ 6:30pm + SPECIAL surprises, including some "Eternal" Pizza from Two Boots and Beer.

should be a damned free show in LA..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2009, 03:14 PM   #3
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
free show in my living room next?
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2009, 04:10 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
free show in my living room next?
agreed.

but seriously, there was a free show for the release of Sonic Nurse (which I went to) and a free show for the release of Rather Ripped (which I went to) and so I have developed quite the habit for kick ass fucking free sonic youth shows like catching the dead in the park in 1968..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe

Right on! This will be fun.
Thanks Moshe.

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 01:14 AM   #6
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses

Old 06.04.2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Moshe
Super Moderator

‘Sonic Youth’s House of Shifting Plates and Ridiculous Juice’

===

Sonic Youth will be taking over Origami Vinyl in Los Angeles on Tuesday, June 9th to celebrate the release of The Eternal, their latest album which comes out that day on Matador Records! The listening party festivities are are set to kick off around 6:30pm with in-store activities and special surprises care of Not Not Fun, and free beer and pizza will be provided by Two Boots. There will also be live performances from Shiloe and Pocahaunted
Old 06.06.2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Moshe
Super Moderator

In celebration of their new album, The Eternal, Sonic Youth will take over our little record shop. For one day only, on June 9th, Origami Vinyl will become Sonic Youth's House of Shifting Plates and Ridiculous Juice, as dubbed by the band itself. Our wall of featured albums will display selections hand-picked by Thurston, Kim, Lee, Steve and Mark - ranging from Okkyung Lee to John Lennon - as well as a wide range of Sonic Youth and Sonic Youth related releases. The band has also invited their friends Pocahaunted and Shiloe to play sets at the store. Deathbomb Arc, a local label in Los Angeles that has released some Thurston Moore stuff on vinyl, gave us the following very limited edition goodies to sell in-store:

Gang Wizard / Algebrassiere
split 12"
originally co-released between Deathbomb Arc & Ecstatic Peace
Test pressings packaged in exclusive handmade art by Melissa
Kinsman.
From 5:30 till 6:30 on June 9th, Melissa will be in-store to
personalize the art on these for the lucky buyers.
limited: 2 copies / $25

Thurston Moore / Men Who Can't Love
split 12"
originally released as a part of the Thrash Sabbatical box set by
Deathbomb Arc
Overrun of this record from the box set has been hiding at DBA HQ for
some time.
Now repackaged in exclusive handmade art by Josh Taylor.
limited: 13 copies / $15

Origami has also teamed up with local artist, Seizer, to create a special limited edition silkscreen print of the art attached. The art poster will be limited to 50 copies, hand numbered and signed, available for pre-order the day of the event.

As if that weren't enough, Two Boots Pizza will create a special "Eternal" pie that resembles the album's artwork. Slices of this pie will be given away free during the event at Origami. Phil, owner of Two Boots and long-time friend of the band, is excited to be a part of the band's new release.

The details of the event are:
Sonic Youth's House of Shifting Plates and Ridiculous Juice
Tuesday, June 9th from 5.30pm - 9pm
with live performances by Pocahaunted and Shiloe
Limited edition goodies provided by Deathbomb Arc and Not Not Fun
Free "Eternal" Pizza slices provided by Two Boots
+ other SPECIAL surprises
1816 W. Sunset Blvd, Echo Park, Ca 90026
www.origamiorigami.com <http://www.origamiorigami.com/>
Old 06.09.2009, 06:27 PM   #9
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
Leaving soon...
Can't wait!

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2009, 06:29 PM   #10
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Damn I should have gone.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2009, 06:36 PM   #11
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama
Leaving soon...
Can't wait!

Take pics of the pizza!

Old 06.09.2009, 10:42 PM   #12
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Fuck!!!!!!!!!!!! Too late.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2009, 12:42 AM   #13
Moshe
Super Moderator

Neil Schield Talks About Origami Vinyl's First Two Months and Today's Sonic Youth Takeover

Sonic Youth's House of Shifting Plates and Ridiculous Juice
Two months ago, LAist interviewed Neil Schield, owner of Origami Vinyl in Echo Park, to learn about his passion for vinyl records and his decision to open a record store amidst a tough economy. In the weeks since, the store has flourished, and today marks a very special occasion. For one day only, Origami Vinyl has been transformed into "Sonic Youth's House of Shifting Plates and Ridiculous Juice" in celebration of the release of the band's new album, The Eternal.
As part of the takeover, Sonic Youth has designed and chosen everything from the storefront to the "staff music picks," and tonight's event will include live performances by two hand-selected bands, Pocahaunted and Shiloe. In addition, exclusive Thurston Moore vinyl, limited edition artwork and even free Sonic Youth-inspired Two Boots pizza will be a part of the festivities. Last Saturday, LAist caught up with Schield to talk about Origami Vinyl's first two months in business and tonight's Sonic Youth extravaganza.
LAist: We first spoke before the opening of the store. What have the last two months been like?
Neil Schield: Business has been incredible and it's actually exceeded our expectations. One of the big pleasant surprises has been how many young people come in here and buy records to start their own collections.
Around three weeks ago, this 17-year-old was just looking around in the store and asking me questions about stuff. A week later, he came in with his mom and she turned to him and asked, "Are you sure that's what you want?" and he nodded. So she bought her son the portable record player we sell, and it was his high school graduation present. I was so blown away. For me, it was the most amazing purchase so far—selling this 17-year-old his first record player and introducing him to vinyl.

I think one of the most rewarding things over the last couple months has been the appreciation by everyone who walks in here. Even people who don't own record players have said things like, "Thank you so much for being here" or "we really appreciate that you're in the neighborhood." That's even more rewarding than if they'd purchased a bunch of records.
How have your Tuesday record club nights at El Prado been going?
It's been packed! Catherine, who runs El Prado, has had to add another bartender on Tuesday nights because one person wasn't enough. For us, the response has been so positive. We let six people sign up to share a couple songs each week, and we're already booked through the end of the month. It's been pretty fun.

Origami Vinyl / Photo by Michele Reverte (taken prior to the Sonic Youth takeover)

You've already had some amazing live performances in the store. What's been one of your favorites?
For me, one of the most memorable was this band called Restavrant, a local band by way of Texas. I had heard a couple of their songs here and there and they ended up playing the store on Record Store Day. They're sort of this back-alley blues band—rough, rugged and kind of dirty, and the guy's got the most soulful voice. It just blew me away.

Origami Vinyl / Photo by Michele Reverte (taken prior to the Sonic Youth takeover)
I've already seen a number of stories about Origami in the newspaper and on TV. How has the media attention impacted your store?
Since you and I talked, we were on the front page of the Los Angeles Times. We still get people who drive here all the way from, like, Pomona as a result of that. Then we were on NBC in this 30-second thing, and a week later, CBS news came and they did a whole five-minute spot on the store and vinyl records in general. It's exposed us to some new audiences. All we were really trying to do was be the local record store, but it's spread beyond that and it's amazing.
KCRW, KXLU and The Sound have been really supportive of the store. And Carson Daly's producer just contacted me, and Carson wants to shoot his show here one night this week. So now it's going to go national, which is a whole other thing. All this stuff is organically happening, because nothing's really changed as far as promotion. It's just me sending out e-mails to our list.
How did the Sonic Youth event come about?
Well, I often order vinyl from Matador, so I talk to them quite a bit, and one day they told me, "Hey, we want to do a listening party for the new Sonic Youth record." My response was, "You know, listening parties are cool, but they're not that much of an event because people can go online and listen to the record beforehand. Would you be interested in doing something out of the box?"
That piqued their interest. I think they're used to record stores not being very progressive. So I had this idea of letting the band take over the store and letting them curate everything, so it's their staff picks and their theme and their design. The dream was to maybe have them play a set or work the register for a few minutes, but unfortunately, that didn't work with their schedule. But they started to run with it and suggested that their friends Pocahaunted and Shiloe play.
The theme of the store for the day, which the band chose, is "Sonic Youth's House of Shifting Plates and Ridiculous Juice."

Origami's Sonic Youth storefront / Photo by Neil Schield
Will there be any ridiculous juice on hand?
I don't know if it'll be ridiculous, but we will have beer. (laughs)
Is it true that there will be free Two Boots pizza as well?
Well, it turns out that Phil, the owner of Two Boots Pizza, has been friends with Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth for years. Two Boots has been so supportive of everything we've been doing, and Phil is going to design a pizza called The Eternal—and it's going to resemble the album cover! So there'll be free pizza for everyone who comes to the event.
Will you have any exclusive items for sale?
Yes, I got in touch with a local label, Deathbomb Arc, and they've put out some really cool Thurston Moore stuff. So I had talked to Brian at Deathbomb and told him about the event and asked him what he had available. He told me, "Actually, I have these 13 white-label test pressings of some Thurston Moore records that are just sitting here." He also said he'd bring the artist who did the original cover art, and she'll hand design each of the records. So we'll have these for sale for the first 13 people who want to buy them.
We'll also have some original prints. My friend Seizer is an artist and we've always loved rock art posters. We'd been talking about possibly doing some silkscreen stuff for some of Origami's in-store events. We decided that this would be the perfect event to kick it off with, so he listened to a bunch of Sonic Youth, Pocahaunted and Shiloe, then drew this [see the top of this interview for the image] by hand.
Unfortunately, the silkscreening takes a little longer than I thought, so we've got a really high-end printed poster that we're going to have on display, and then people will be able to pre-order them during the event. We're only producing 50, so it'll be super-limited!
Don't miss "Sonic Youth's House of Shifting Plates and Ridiculous Juice" tonight from 5:30 - 9 p.m. at Origami Vinyl (1816 W Sunset Blvd.) To learn more about Origami Vinyl, check out LAist's original interview with Neil Schield and visit the store's website.

Origami at Origami / Photo by Michele Reverte

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth