Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What offends you??
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.08.2009, 03:09 PM   #141
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
What's Simon Critchley like?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 03:11 PM   #142
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse
Glice + notyourfiend, you're amazing! I'll probably pick up Zizek and Foucault first and go from there. If you were excited about anything else, by all means, I'm all eyes. My understanding of Nietzsche is admittedly pretty weak, but from what I gather we were left with a pretty bleak reality, and I am curious to read up on where others have taken that.

No problem.

I honestly need to pick up more Nietzeche. I've only read the entirety The Birth of Tragedy, but I don't think that really gives an adequate representation. His work, however, was partially summarized to me by various professors.

One of Foucault's major influences was Nietzeche, who said that subjects develop due to power relations in society. Foucault talks about histories of concepts, indicating that different values emerge out of histories/truths are historically contingent etc. Power, Foucault said, is operative - every subject is formed as a result f power relations. Institutions such as the church, capitalism, and psychoanalysis all have investments in formulating the subject. Power to Foucault is not something which is oppressive with "the man" keeping the subjects down - rather, power can be used to raise certains ideas which people have investments in. I.e. in the case of, say, sexuality: institutions such as the church and capitalism all have investments in forming subject's relationship to sexuality. This is what is discussed in The History of Sexuality.

I hope you find that somewhat helpful. I've got a little bit too aquainted w Foucault during my time as a women's studies major at a liberal arts college.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 03:22 PM   #143
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse
My understanding of Nietzsche is admittedly pretty weak, but from what I gather we were left with a pretty bleak reality, and I am curious to read up on where others have taken that.
The bleaker side of Nietzsche can be associated to Jean-Paul Sartre. Most would agree that Nietzsche's philosophy is meant to be inspirational.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 03:24 PM   #144
Conrad
stalker

Conrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourfiend
really? i fucking love bikini kill. so much. they are up there with the youth that get sonic in terms of bands that have influenced me.

Really really
Old 09.08.2009, 03:25 PM   #145
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
^ yes yes.

Old 09.08.2009, 03:36 PM   #146
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
What's Simon Critchley like?

Depends on what you're after. I'd definitely recommend going through the big names before heading for him. He's good, but his value is defined more by prior knowledge about the subject, that is, you mightn't get much out of him without a fair bit of prior knowledge. Then again, you may well do. He pops up on the radio from time to time, always seems very lucid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 03:55 PM   #147
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan
oh and this has nothing to do with gender but i wonder if men were the ones having babies (that pregnant dude doesn't count, that was a chick) if it would be the same way? because a lot of people's mentality is that women were made to have babies so "killing your baby" is some kind of cardinal sin, you are rejecting god's plan for you as a woman or whatever.
personally i don't believe in god but i used to and i didn't feel any differently about the issue back then. babies don't come from god, babies come from FUCKING which is your own damn fault and fortunately there are steps you can take to correct the mistake you made when you went without your raincoat and got knocked up. that's life, kids.

three things.

a)
I agree when you said that women have the right, but underage girls are not legally women, and since we baby them so damned much they are not mentally women either, they are girls and children. Sorry, I hated it too, but kids don't have the same kinds of rights adults have and in large part its for their own damned good.

b)
You mentioned something about if men were the ones getting abortions.. let me flip that on you.. who is the one performing all these abortions? Look behind the funding and the legislators and the operators of all these abortion clinics and providers who are they? Who are the politicians and lobbyists world wide that have the highest pro-abortion agenda? They are all men. just think about that for a minute

c)

If kids come from fucking, then how come everytime I have fucked I didn't have a kid? I have fucked a lot more than I have children I can assure you

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 08:07 PM   #148
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Example?
You?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 08:12 PM   #149
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

c)

If kids come from fucking, then how come everytime I have fucked I didn't have a kid? I have fucked a lot more than I have children I can assure you

fucking under specific circumstances.

do you want to get medical here? i can stop taking my birth control and figure out when i'm ovulating and if my boyfriend came inside me there would be a pretty good chance i'd get pregnant. but i'm not going to do that.

no one is going to sit around and tell me that children come from god. fuck you.
Old 09.08.2009, 09:11 PM   #150
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
fucking under specific circumstances.

do you want to get medical here? i can stop taking my birth control and figure out when i'm ovulating and if my boyfriend came inside me there would be a pretty good chance i'd get pregnant. but i'm not going to do that.

no one is going to sit around and tell me that children come from god. fuck you.

again. many people have unprotected sex all the time, but there are no kids born. my point, perhaps its a bit more miraculous an event than you were describing. fucking results in orgasms, reproduction is a bit more complicated if you ask me.. its more than just fucking at the right time, people fuck by the calendar to try to HAVE kids, no dice.. people just fuck and unexpectedly BAM here are some kids.. I say fucking had only a part to do in the matter. its simple logic:

If two people fuck, and they don't have a kid then fucking does not necessarily lead to kids. There must then logically be something more to the equation for those who fuck and have them?

Old 09.08.2009, 09:13 PM   #151
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
The band Ween.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 09:16 PM   #152
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

Satan, your not living up to your description, I think you are not the Devil at all!

"You believe in the one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and tremble in fear.." James 2:19

Old 09.08.2009, 09:25 PM   #153
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
The bleaker side of Nietzsche can be associated to Jean-Paul Sartre. Most would agree that Nietzsche's philosophy is meant to be inspirational.

Inspirational in that people can have more control, that truth without gods or mega-bosses in our lives produces freedom? Maybe I never got past the part that explained how that's not the biggest hugest pressure of all? That's where I'm stuck.

Again, many thanks to Glice and notyrfiend for the rec's.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2009, 09:28 PM   #154
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
i'm not having this god vs. science argument. no.

babies come from the stork. everyone knows that.

Old 09.08.2009, 09:31 PM   #155
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
You?
Aw, I thought I was too irrelevant to offend you. Honestly, I don't even remember of what I was asking an example. I won't bother since it must be trivial.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2009, 01:28 PM   #156
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
i'm not having this god vs. science argument. no.

babies come from the stork. everyone knows that.

Its not about god VERSUS science, god IS science and science is an observation of God
but any devil knows that... I thought your were the deific satan, not the freudian conceptual satan of the church of satan satanists..

Old 09.09.2009, 01:32 PM   #157
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Its not about god VERSUS science, god IS science and science is an observation of God
but any devil knows that... I thought your were the deific satan, not the freudian conceptual satan of the church of satan satanists..

I like you!

Old 09.09.2009, 01:34 PM   #158
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry swedgin
What offends you??

bad breath

xtreem hippie armpit

bloody gums
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2009, 01:35 PM   #159
Satan
invito al cielo

1. science was invented by people
2. god doesn't exist
Old 09.09.2009, 01:41 PM   #160
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
1. science was invented by people
2. god doesn't exist

1. yes
2. it does-- as a concept. the same way unicorns do.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth