Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Re-Recorded tracks on Remastered Albums.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.05.2009, 08:49 PM   #1
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I know there's already been chat on here about remastered albums but something i've become increasingly aware of is a tendency for bands to not just remaster, but re-record tracks for CDs. All the ZZ Top albums up to eliminator are unavailable on CD except in a version where the drums have been re-recorded with this massive 80s reverb sound - completely ruining the tracks, in my opinion. Mustaine did the same thing with some Megadeth albums I think, as has Zappa and The Doors have used different vocal tracks from the original, with slightly altered lyrics. Whatever you may think of those individual bands, it seems completely ridiculous as a marketing idea. I'm sure I'm not alone in being completely put off of getting a band's back catalogue that's had this done to it. Any other bands that you know of that have done this?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2009, 08:51 PM   #2
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
It bothers me. The Zappa thing big time. I'm happy when someone rips the original Zappa albums for me. Cuz it seems more "right" to have it the way it was originally released.
Old 07.05.2009, 08:58 PM   #3
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Exactly, I've downloaded the zz back catalogue from old vinyl sources, not because I don't want to buy their cds but because I don't want to listen to some bastardised re recording of them. I've read that they're going to be re-releasing them in their original form soon. They've already done it with Eliminator, which they're selling at a ridiculous $25 (it comes with a completely pointless DVD including the videos from that album). Bands complain about downloading and then completely justify it with cynical acts like that.
Old 07.05.2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Shifty Prophet
100%

Shifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's assesShifty Prophet kicks all y'all's asses
An alternative is to buy a usb output for your stereo/turntable and rip straight from vinyl to your pc. True, it can take longer but, at least you know the sound will be as good as the record, until you compress it to MP3 that is.
Shifty Prophet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2009, 11:19 PM   #5
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
They've already done it with Eliminator, which they're selling at a ridiculous $25 (it comes with a completely pointless DVD including the videos from that album). Bands complain about downloading and then completely justify it with cynical acts like that.

I will defend the recent wave of repackaging by some artists. But, from an artist/consumer relationship, bands are getting shafted by fans downloading their entire catalgue. Since the trust has been broken it is only logical that this happens. Metallica did this with their video collection. Other bands have this by adding 1 or 2 new songs plus old favourites. Usually when they do this is priced below average...
Old 07.06.2009, 12:51 AM   #6
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I can understand why they repackage stuff, i just can't understand why an artist would want to re-record tracks on old albums, effectively making them worthless to fans. I wouldn't have a problem if they packaged the CDs so that the new versions came with the original mixes but to have it so that only these re-recorded versions are available seems commercially counter-productive to me.

I'm not saying this from a purist point of view, just a commercial one. Remastering is one thing, but how many fans want to buy the back catalogue of their favourite bands knowing it's been re-recorded?
Old 07.06.2009, 01:59 AM   #7
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I can understand why they repackage stuff, i just can't understand why an artist would want to re-record tracks on old albums, effectively making them worthless to fans. I wouldn't have a problem if they packaged the CDs so that the new versions came with the original mixes but to have it so that only these re-recorded versions are available seems commercially counter-productive to me.

I'm not saying this from a purist point of view, just a commercial one. Remastering is one thing, but how many fans want to buy the back catalogue of their favourite bands knowing it's been re-recorded?

Exactly.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2009, 02:27 AM   #8
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Ozzy did this with his first couple of albums I know...
Old 07.06.2009, 02:56 AM   #9
demonrail666
invito al cielo

There's been an ongoing rumour that Axl wants to do it with Appetite For Destruction and then have the original CD withdrawn so the only available one is the re-recorded version.

Hopefully it'll take him as long to get around to doing that as it took him to record Chinese Democracy.
Old 07.06.2009, 04:39 AM   #10
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
yeah mustaine did re-record stuff on the megadeth remasters, adding different solos and things. he also fucks around with the drums and stuff in the mix. no idea why, they were fine as they were.

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth