Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the raincoats!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.12.2006, 07:29 PM   #1
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses

i love this band! adorable visceral raw experimental pretty feminine gentle punk rock wonder. they make me feel so alive and joyous. So discuss this amazing band, i want to know everything about them. downloaded a their first album. it is now officially one of my favorite albums of all time. a record hasn't touched me this much in so long.

from the smells like records site -
t seemed for a while in the wake of Pistols/Clash hysteria that post-punk Blighty might just change the face of popular culture. And no small thanks to some females who didn't care to be written off: The Slits, Kleenex and most enduringly, the Raincoats. Their brief career included a few LPs on Rough Trade, but the band fell pray to inner turmoil by the turn of the decade. That was way before their biggest fan, a semi-famous guy named Kurt Cobain began singing their story to every journalist in the land. Soon enough Steve Shelley was behind the drums in a revamped version of the band. With this new lineup, Extended Play came to be, a preface to their triumphant 1994 reunion album on the DGC label. Available as a 10 inch vinyl EP record or CD.
__________________________________________________ _____________

"I don't know anything about The Raincoats except that they recorded some music that has affected me so much that whenever I hear it I'm reminded of a particular time when I was (shall we say) extremely unhappy, lonely and bored. If it weren't for the luxury of putting on that scratchy copy of The Raincoats' first record, I would have had very few moments of peace. I suppose I could have researched a bit of history about the band but I feel it's more important to delineate the way I feel and how they sound.

When I listen to The Raincoats I feel as if I'm a stowaway in an attic, violating and in the dark. Rather than listening to them I feel like I'm listening in on them. We're together in the same old house and I have to be completely still or they will hear me spying from above and, if I get caught - everything will be ruined because it's their thing. They're playing their music for themselves. It's not as sacred as wire-tapping a buddhist monk's telephone or something because if The Raincoats did catch me, they would probably just ask me if I wanted some tea. I would comply, then they would finish playing their songs and I would say thank you very much for making me feel good."

Kurt Cobain, June 1993.
__________________________________________________ _____________

ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 07:33 PM   #2
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Anngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's asses
LOVE them. Adventures Close To Home is just great, though I think it's a Slits cover? Or The Slits covered them? Who knows, I just love that song.

http://slouchingsunflowers.tumblr.com/
Anngella is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 07:43 PM   #3
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
i just checked and it was the raincoats that covered the slits. great song.

the void is one of the finest i've heard so far. it's dreary and lonely and hauntingly beautiful.
Old 11.12.2006, 07:57 PM   #4
GravitySlips
children of satan

GravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's asses
I like The Slits, and I've been meaning to listen to this band. I'll slsk their first album.
GravitySlips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 08:34 PM   #5
ni'k
invito al cielo

if you want to d/l it off me my username is threads
Old 11.12.2006, 08:37 PM   #6
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I've always wanted this album. Is it out on vinyl?

Old 11.12.2006, 09:21 PM   #7
ni'k
invito al cielo

if your kurt cobain in 1992 you might have had a chance. now i think the chances of finding raincoats vinyl would be exceptional. im in the same position cos i dont want to buy all their stuff on cd's if i could get the vinyl, hopefully they will get a vinyl reissue someday
Old 11.12.2006, 10:10 PM   #8
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
if your kurt cobain in 1992 you might have had a chance. now i think the chances of finding raincoats vinyl would be exceptional. im in the same position cos i dont want to buy all their stuff on cd's if i could get the vinyl, hopefully they will get a vinyl reissue someday

Seem to find more and more great reissues these days--so many in fact that these days I feel comfortable holding out for the vinyl. Almost got Wire on CD a few months ago but I'm glad I waited. A few companies are doing a great job--Sundazed, 4 Men with Beards, Rhino, among others. I've been surprised by recent reissues of stuff like the Pil Metal Box, Black Sabbath, Wire's first albums. Maybe one of these companies will pick up the Raincoats album.
Old 11.12.2006, 10:32 PM   #9
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
didn't i already make a raincoats thread?
i've spent so much time listening to them that i've deciphered all the words, a task previously thought to be impossible.

edit: no, i didn't make a thread. carry on.
Old 11.13.2006, 11:43 AM   #10
gmku
invito al cielo

Somehow 4 Men with Beards has the absolute quietest, nicest vinyl. I don't know how they do it. I've got a fairly decent Grado cartridge that not only picks up about 90 percent of the music but also 90 percent of any imperfections (surface noise), and even with headphones, I hear hardly anything in those grooves that is not music. No hiss, nothing. I wish all vinyl makers these days could do as fine a job.
Old 11.13.2006, 12:47 PM   #11
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
Love em to
Old 11.13.2006, 04:16 PM   #12
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
only was listening to it a few mins ago. its a fucking wondrrul record. ive the ep they did with s shelley about 10 years ago too. thats pretty ok but that album rules all.....
Old 11.14.2006, 04:32 PM   #13
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
that first lp RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111
sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2006, 04:12 PM   #14
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
maybe a coincidence that this thread popped up around the same day that i got my hands on the 1st raincoats album.
what a fucking album,.
last night i took the train listening to the raincoats all the way, barely holding myself back from screaming along amongst the millions of straight faced salary men and sleeping passengers,
i went to a drum and bass club all night for 6 hours, as good as it was, i left at 6am...very drunk, put on my headphones to the fucking amazing delights of off duty trip and lola, feeling like i should break down and cry or vomit or something. wanting to scream the lyrics outloud and doing so at some point after i got offa the train. i got home, listened again, went outside and wrote THE RAINCOATS on the wall with a paint pen that never comes off.
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2006, 04:29 PM   #15
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
thanks wax, cool story!
sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2006, 06:40 PM   #16
Thomas Moronic
bad moon rising

Thomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's assesThomas Moronic kicks all y'all's asses
Good call. Raincoats rule!
Thomas Moronic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2006, 10:28 PM   #17
Bastian
bad moon rising

Bastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's assesBastian kicks all y'all's asses
There was a pretty nice show of two of the Raincoat girls in Berlin recently.
Bastian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2006, 05:46 AM   #18
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Everyone loves the first.

The ones who love the second can all fit on a very, very tiny raft.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth