Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.07.2007, 05:02 PM   #21
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
I just picked it up and I have to say it's awesome and frustrating at the same time.
Like all their previous albums (with the exception of Apple O and Reveille), it's highly uneven (less uneven than Milkman though), and you wish it were longer. But still after the big letdown that Runners Fours was it's good to see they're back to doing what they do best. Finito the sugary uninteresting songs of the Runners Four. The first four songs are totally awesome and they remind me of the highlights of Reveille(this magnificent bird will rise, punchy buggy valves to name a few).
The disappointment comes from the seconf part of the album : the cutesy harmonies and instrumentarium becomes annoying and it sounds like they're rehashing some Runner Fours songs ( wither the invisible, kidz are so small).
The exception here is the innocent and charming 'choco fight'.
Fortunately though in 'look away' they proove that they can sustain musical interest in this lengthy song without sounding like they're trying too hard.
They're here as inventive as in "the Trumpeter swan".
Other than that, Deerhoof kicks ass !!
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 05:13 PM   #22
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i like it, just like it; it does get a bit boring and very sugary mellow at times, i probably won't play it much.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 05:15 PM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
oh. damn.

i havent heard it yet. as it turns out i didnt have any internet of my own until recently and so...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 05:24 PM   #24
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
you are not missing much, the style is very similar to the milk man but not as quirky and charismatic.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 05:32 PM   #25
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
I picked this album up a few days ago, was in my local record store and it jumped out at me. Its really got a poppy, kind of hip hop feel to it, its pretty awesome. I showed my friend and he said that he hasn't heard of such material since like wowee zowee.
I only heard of them last year, I like the sound of their earlier stuff too, incorparates much more noise I suppose, but this album has its wacky tracks too.
I really fell in love with the unconventional timings, that whole pushing the physical boundaries, with a wide range of influences. The vocal harmonies are like the cream of the cake.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 10:09 PM   #26
deathbyfeedback
bad moon rising

deathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's assesdeathbyfeedback kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
sprawled-out opus of a finale

it's bloody amazing
deathbyfeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2007, 06:54 AM   #27
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
I don't really like this record. spun it twice and I am underwhelmed. it seems a bit lazy and complacent.
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2007, 02:58 PM   #28
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
a nice and long interview here (the video is in english, the website is italian):
http://www.indie-eye.it/eyecast/2007...ring-deerhoof/
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2007, 03:48 PM   #29
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
I don't really like this record. spun it twice and I am underwhelmed. it seems a bit lazy and complacent.

I gotta say I'm mostly in agreement with your assessment. Yeah, it's still better than a lot of newer stuff out there, and there are some good passages though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i like it, just like it; it does get a bit boring and very sugary mellow at times, i probably won't play it much.

Pretty dead-on there--It just might be their weakest besides the reworkings on the Green Cosmos ep.

It does have a nice cover.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2007, 04:41 PM   #30
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
yeah runner's four is definitive. friend opportunity is good enough, there's a stretch on it where noting seems to happen.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth