Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.10.2017, 11:24 AM   #48641
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I love Section 80 so much. It rivals Good Kid for me, and my opinion on which is my favorite Kendrick album varies by day.

Varies between Sec.80 and good kid though... right? Not TPAB and untitled, unmastered.

I have no idea how I'd rank them. I think good kid, mAAd city is my favorite, but it's quite an emotional rollercoaster. You're on cloud 9 for "Bitch Don't Kill my Vibe" and "Backseat Freestyle," then "The Art of Peer Pressure" hits and it's like "Devil in a new Dress" plunging you into despair with "Runaway" and then taking you to hell with, well, the entire rest of that album. Then you have "Good Kid" to get your shit pumped way the fuck up, and it all comes crashing down again. That's a rough album.

I think "Fucn Your Ethnicity" is my favorite SONG because it sounds... almost happy. But as for albums, it's hard to say. They all have pretty much nothing but strengths (though I could do without "u" altogether. Yikes.)

Anyway, Kendrick is the shit.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2017, 11:28 AM   #48642
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I listened to these bad boys this weekend on the hi-fi.

Old 04.10.2017, 11:30 AM   #48643
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 04.11.2017, 07:30 PM   #48644
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't said anything about Summerteeth yet because I've been listening to it for three days...
Old 04.12.2017, 02:47 AM   #48645
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses

louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2017, 07:42 AM   #48646
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

great album.
Old 04.12.2017, 08:31 AM   #48647
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
As much as I hate Billy Corgan (in terms of face/head punchability, he's below only Drake and Dolanld Trump, and only because he's nowhere near as visible, important, or culturally omni-present), I do hav fond memories of listening to this album with my friends in junior high. For about 18-24 months, the Smashing Pumpkins were just about as big as post-Nirvana rock got, and there was almost a sense of "mania" to their output at this time. Like, every fucking single was a hit (no number 1 singles or anything, but this was the era of alternative and radio airplay charts -- they did have a few #1's in that context -- and MTV), from "Bullet W/ Butterfly Wings" to "Thirty-three," it just felt big.

I'm also impressed by the diversity of the songs, even the hits. Bullet is a post-"teen spirit" angst-rocker, but "1979" sounded totally different, with hints of (half-baked) electronica and an iconic video. "Zero" was basically a Nine Inch Nails song, but "Tonight Tonight" felt very poignant to 14-year-olds at the time. Even low-stakes final single "Thirty-three" was touching.

So yah. I do not like the band. I do not like the members. They aped a bunch of better bands, and acted like choads, and somehow managed to milk late '80s shoegaze, grunge, glam, glam-metal, and and pop culture world's need for a generationally representative traditional pop band comprised of three or four distinct personalities. They ripped off MBV, Ride, Jane's, Nirvana, fucking Boston, NIN, the Cure, and countless others, but for a while it was good to have them around.

I feel like in '95-'96 the only bands that may have eclipsed SP were Oasis (in terms of pop) and maybe Beck in terms of alternative omnipresence. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. I was young and dumb.
Old 04.12.2017, 08:46 AM   #48648
Severian
invito al cielo

You guys ever bother with th 2012 deluxe reissue?

I did not. But I feel like its cover art is a VAST fucking improvement.

Old 04.12.2017, 08:57 AM   #48649
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
WASHING MACHINE also came out in '95. Kinda obliterates the competition.

Anyone else into Sonic Youth?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2017, 09:54 AM   #48650
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
You guys ever bother with th 2012 deluxe reissue?

yes. It was great. The stringless version of "Tonight Tonight" was f'ing awesome. Really, the super deluxeness of the package may have seemed overwhelming, but as a fan of that album for many many years there was some incredible stuff to unearth.

I don't really care what kidn of person Billy Pumpkin is, so I skipped the rant haha. I do love SP, though.
Old 04.12.2017, 10:47 AM   #48651
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Tony Bennett wipes his ass with Smashing Pumpkins liner notes
Old 04.12.2017, 10:48 AM   #48652
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
WASHING MACHINE also came out in '95. Kinda obliterates the competition.

Anyone else into Sonic Youth?

Haha, you bastar! Of course it obliterates the competition... ESPECIALLY shit like SP and Oasis and pretty much everything else (except for maybe Red Medicine). I'm just waxing nostalgic on account of my bitchness.
Old 04.12.2017, 10:53 AM   #48653
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

I don't really care what kidn of person Billy Pumpkin is, so I skipped the rant haha. I do love SP, though.

Hey! The Billy "rant" was limited to literally ONE sentence out of all that fingertip diarrhea I messed myself with up there. Don't skip my rants, brah! Rants are, like, ¾ of the Severian pie!
Old 04.12.2017, 10:54 AM   #48654
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Tony Bennett wipes his ass with Smashing Pumpkins liner notes

Now why would he do that when single-ply TP is a higher-quality product?
Old 04.12.2017, 11:10 AM   #48655
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Haha, you bastar! Of course it obliterates the competition... ESPECIALLY shit like SP and Oasis and pretty much everything else (except for maybe Red Medicine).

There are plenty of albums from the era I like, a few I love and then there's Sonic Youth. Even if in a given moment I might "like" another group more, the critic part of me knows that, artistically speaking, SY is better.

I think I've listened to 450 of the 500 albums he (poorly) writes about in this kind of annoying book. After scanning every title, I shut the book and was and remain more convinced than ever that SY's artistic output is the most historically noteworthy achievement of this genre.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2017, 12:41 PM   #48656
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
There are plenty of albums from the era I like, a few I love and then there's Sonic Youth. Even if in a given moment I might "like" another group more, the critic part of me knows that, artistically speaking, SY is better.

I think I've listened to 450 of the 500 albums he (poorly) writes about in this kind of annoying book. After scanning every title, I shut the book and was and remain more convinced than ever that SY's artistic output is the most historically noteworthy achievement of this genre.

If I didn't agree, I probably wouldn't be here. I don't "fanboy-out" about an artist unless I consider it/them one of, if not the, absolute best of he best. I don't join groups or forums for groups that were good some of the time.

Sonic Youth has the strongest discography in contemporary music. Who's had a better, longer run? The Beatles, some would say, but Bad Moon Rising has a hell of a lot more to offer than Please Please Me. Fugazi has a pretty perfect run, but didn't realease as much material or cover as much ground. Velvet Ubderground? Nirvana? Neither lasted long enough or released enough to be in the running, great as they are.

• SY has the best discography, most incomparable, in guitar-based music.
• Aphex Twin has the best discography, most incomparable, in electronic music.
• Kanye West has the best, most incomparable discography in hip-hop.
• Coltrane has the jazz discography that makes everyone else's look like crap.
• The Beatles have the most best, most incomparable, culturally significant discography in "pop."

These are the artists I'd devote significant time to needing out over, basically.
Old 04.12.2017, 01:10 PM   #48657
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Miles Davis literally CHANGED MUSIC three different times and recorded far more masterpieces, with a wider array of backing groups, than Coltrane. Just saying. 'Trane is as masterful as Miles but Miles discography beats tranes IMO.
Old 04.12.2017, 01:17 PM   #48658
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Miles Davis literally CHANGED MUSIC three different times and recorded far more masterpieces, with a wider array of backing groups, than Coltrane. Just saying. 'Trane is as masterful as Miles but Miles discography beats tranes IMO.

I agree.

To put it another way, there are more Coltrane records that I fucking love.

But there are more Davis albums that I think are truly important and everyone in the world should be familiar with.
Old 04.12.2017, 01:36 PM   #48659
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

No I get that. I pretty much agree. I just prefer Coltrane personally.

I think Coltrane's discography is more consistent, but Miles has more landmarks.
Old 04.12.2017, 02:41 PM   #48660
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

well, that may be because 'trane died in 1967
1933233323832423243024312432 2433 243424352436244324832533 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth