Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Non-Stooges fans need not check this thread.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.25.2010, 04:15 PM   #41
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Today is Steve Mackaye's B-Day. I might post some of his solo material later on today if I can find the time. If not today, sometime in the near future.
Old 10.19.2010, 11:22 AM   #42
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Recent NPR interview w/ James Williamson (scroll down and hit play button toward bottom):

http://thestory.org/archive/the_stor...amson.mp3/view
Old 10.19.2010, 05:31 PM   #43
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Today is Steve Mackaye's B-Day. I might post some of his solo material later on today if I can find the time. If not today, sometime in the near future.
Count me IN. Many thanks in advance!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2010, 11:35 PM   #44
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The clothing line just seems massively wrong. I can pick up a Raw Power T Shirt in Camden for a tenner. Clearly aiming things at the fashionistas. I'm definitely up for the Kill City re-release though. The idea of his next solo album possibly being based on 'Democracy in America' also sounds interesting.

now, if only he'd commission a muscle car ...

he should put out a line of tight pants, but under absolutely no circumstances should this man sell shirts. iggy is all about shirtlessness.
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2010, 11:57 PM   #45
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

There are a pair of Levi's out there w/ "Kill City" on the tag. Only pair I've seen were tight/black, and I must admit they look pretty badass.

James Williamson says they are getting no royalties for this. BOO!
Old 11.05.2010, 01:56 AM   #46
viewtiful alan redux
the destroyed room

viewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's asses
Iggy can be so hard for me to stick by sometimes... I hate to say it but I think he needs to stop with new material, it hasn't been legitimately good in a long time.
We can pretend all we want, but he hasn't made a genuinley goood album since Brick by Brick (and even that was pretty spotty).
He can't write an interesting song anymore, and his voice isn't really surviving. The live show is still great, but unfortunately both Iggy and the Stooges are better suited to a throwback act these days.
Old 11.05.2010, 02:37 AM   #47
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux
Iggy can be so hard for me to stick by sometimes... I hate to say it but I think he needs to stop with new material, it hasn't been legitimately good in a long time.
We can pretend all we want, but he hasn't made a genuinley goood album since Brick by Brick (and even that was pretty spotty).
He can't write an interesting song anymore, and his voice isn't really surviving. The live show is still great, but unfortunately both Iggy and the Stooges are better suited to a throwback act these days.

I don't know...while I agree that he's had some awful albums, his last solo effort "Preliminaires", was pretty good I thought. The acoustic track (think it's titled "she's dead"???) was nothing short of amazing. His voice is getting more "blusier" as he ages. Hopefully he'll use this to his advantage the same way he did on preliminaires.

As much as I absolutely adored Ronnie, the more recent Stooges shows have been better, I think. Cool to see them incorporating harmonica + Steve Mackaye into a lot of this songs. Really beefing them up and keeping things interesting + dark. Glammy blues by old guys....I'm still so fucking proud of 'em.

As far as solo Iggy, I still would like to see an acoustic effort. Just him and a guitar w/ that bluesy/croony voice.

Stooges break up (for good...) in three years. Would be nice to see Iggy (if he decides to back out of rock) go onto other things...blues, spoken word, audio books, maybe some weirdo jazzy stuff. No reason for him to stop unless he wants to.

He's still one of the best front men out there.
Old 11.05.2010, 02:54 AM   #48
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
one of my favourite frontmen ever simply because hes iggy and he was in the stooges and the stooges created raw power. he can do whatever the hell he wants!

Exactly. Imitated time + time again, but never duplicated.

That goes for all the Stooges, though. They reinvented, invented, and launched more than they'll ever fully be recognized for.
Old 11.05.2010, 06:22 AM   #49
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux

I tend to agree. He's become a kind of mascot for some bygone era. The punk equivalent of Mick Jagger. If he wants to carry on that's up to him and I don't blame him for doing it, but he's not my friend or a member of my family, so I'm not gonna buy any of his later stuff out of any kind of loyalty. I'll carry on listening to the stuff he did in the 60-70s with The Stooges because it's good. I'm not gonna bother with what he's doing now, though, unless it gets excellent reviews or seems in some way interesting (as with his upcoming album based on 'Democracy in America'). But a 21st Century Iggy, cavorting around like it's 1969 again (baby) just doesn't interest me.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2010, 11:15 AM   #50
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Recent news straight from Straight James Williamson:

"Just completed a 12+ hour video shoot for the Rochester MI School of Rock on how I play "Search and Destroy" and other tips...amazing how much time you can waste editing and rendering video...the content only took 2 leisurely hours....to finish, the rest was agony and boredom...hope they like it....no peeking...."

I'd like to see this.
Old 09.15.2011, 05:28 AM   #51
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Recently discovered this. Too cool to not post. Enjoy. A series of old photos from 1970...most of which I've never seen.

http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/201...mber-5th-1970/
Old 09.15.2011, 03:43 PM   #52
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Recently discovered this. Too cool to not post. Enjoy. A series of old photos from 1970...most of which I've never seen.

http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/201...mber-5th-1970/
Cooler than a sumbitch indeed. Thanks for the link.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2011, 05:00 PM   #53
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
I forgot to post this, it came out a few years ago. Some of these dudes are buddies-o-mine. Guest Steve MacKay on sax. I was supposed to go to this show, I forget what happened at this point, but I didn't make it. School sucks. They don't seem to have a "band" page, so I'm posting the J. Cope review. Yeah, I know, I know. (related content: the Bad Trips are an awesome band w/ overlapping members to this'n here)

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung...themonth/2016/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU-hH3Ll_kc
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth