Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Unpopular Musical Opinions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.15.2007, 02:55 PM   #821
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
why is a concert pianist labelled as "talented" by the fierce majority of listeners for accurately following sheets of music that have been played in the same way for 300 years, .
pure and simple ignorance on yr part my friend, and I do not mean that as an insult, just as a statement of your lack of knowledge on this musical issue.

If you were to hear 20 recordings of beethoven's Violin concerto you would hear 20 different interpretations of the sheet music you assume they all follow by rote.
A concert violinist that can play this music as if it was just written, bringing vibrancy and showing nuances that others had not explored is something to be treasured, and is most aassuredly BRILLIANT and TALENTED.

You definitely have a point.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2007, 04:43 PM   #822
Kyohan
bad moon rising

Kyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's assesKyohan kicks all y'all's asses
Christ, I HATE Zepplin!
Ahhh, that feels better.
Kyohan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2007, 04:57 PM   #823
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
UNPOPULAR MUSICAL OPINION

KISS RULES!!!!

KISS ARMY FOREVER!!!

Old 08.15.2007, 05:07 PM   #824
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
pure and simple ignorance on yr part my friend, and I do not mean that as an insult, just as a statement of your lack of knowledge on this musical issue.

If you were to hear 20 recordings of beethoven's Violin concerto you would hear 20 different interpretations of the sheet music you assume they all follow by rote.
A concert violinist that can play this music as if it was just written, bringing vibrancy and showing nuances that others had not explored is something to be treasured, and is most aassuredly BRILLIANT and TALENTED.

Yeah, it's like reading a book written by a genius, re-typed painstakingly to the letter by someone a few hundred years down the line, who gets credit for a "brilliant re-interpratation" via underlining a word here or italicizing a sentence there.

A technical achievement, but yawn.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2007, 06:07 PM   #825
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyohan
Christ, I HATE Zepplin!
Ahhh, that feels better.

you are not alone.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2007, 06:08 PM   #826
racehorse
100%

racehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

oh come on, i wasn't at all saying that the hypothetical musician wasn't at all talented. i was raising a question, using those two analogies to demonstrate the confusion and dislike i have over the term "talent" when used by mainstream music literature and the listening public.

i wasn't relaying my personal opinions in the slightest. the vast majority of the listening public would call one musician talented and the other untalented. however, who are we to say which has a greater artistic value? that's all i was saying.

regarding classical music: to lend individual interpretation to a piece of music is obviously a skill that is hugely difficult to aquire, and takes a massive amount of sensitivity and creativity. this i agree with you on one hundred percent. i play the piano classically myself, and even if i don't do it very well, it really is the most wonderful aspect of playing.

p.s. when i said "following sheets of music that have been played in the same way for 300 years" i was regarding baroque piano/harpsichord music. it is actually almost impossible to perform a truly individual interpretation of most of the baroque keyboard works without actually altering the notes (something bach actually encouraged but which hardly anybody does). musicians have to inject personality with dynamics (which is impossible on a harpsichord) and these are dynamics which, for the most apart, are the dynamics widely encouraged and accepted by the scholarly institutions.
record labels, audiences and scholars obviously don't want to see their music slaughtered in this way so there is a limited creativity, which is on the opposite end of the spectrum of free improv. that is why i used the two examples.
Old 08.15.2007, 06:11 PM   #827
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyohan
Christ, I HATE Zepplin!
Ahhh, that feels better.

you are not alone.

Old 08.15.2007, 06:40 PM   #828
sarramkrop

I'm not sure if it classifies as an unpopular opinion, but has anyone ever heard a so called muscian who's about to start to play some improv piece refering to their instrument as 'stuff'? I hate that. The 'stuff' in question is in most cases the rubbing of some paper or whatever against anything that amplifies its sound. That's not playing anything, that's just plain lack of musical skills.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2007, 09:44 PM   #829
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Weezers Pinkerton makes me feel like I'm 15 again, and I love it.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2007, 09:50 PM   #830
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
also i like a lot of "goth" music from the early-mid 80s ie bauhaus, siouxsie etc which is probably an unpopular opinion.
Old 08.16.2007, 03:15 AM   #831
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
also i like a lot of "goth" music from the early-mid 80s ie bauhaus, siouxsie etc which is probably an unpopular opinion.
bauhaus are awsome!

black flag 55% sucked.
other than damaged first four years, some of family man, semi my war, and a few other songs, most of their output with shite...
and the rollins band are one of the worst bands ever (imk not sure if thats unpopular or not)

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 05:31 AM   #832
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
black flag 55% sucked.
other than damaged first four years, some of family man, semi my war, and a few other songs, most of their output with shite...
and the rollins band are one of the worst bands ever (imk not sure if thats unpopular or not)
I think 55% is being very generous. Pretty much everything after My War was garbage.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 05:38 AM   #833
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i thought of another one: the who.
surely no one here likes the who.
Old 08.16.2007, 05:43 AM   #834
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
The Who were great. Jeff Beck era Yardbirds were great. I'm sure you can do better than that dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 05:44 AM   #835
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I like some Who. My Generation is one of the best songs to sloppily cover. Back when I had the time to be in a band in high school we would cover it and exaggerate the stuttering to ridiculous ends. Another time we played a recording of the bass solo becuz we weren't talented enough. It got laughs.

I like The Who over The Rolling Stones if that helps in some way.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 05:47 AM   #836
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
The Who's The Kids Are Alright is one of my favourite films.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 05:49 AM   #837
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I prefer Elvis films to any other music-related films, including Spinal Tap.

Spinal Tap was not as comically ridiculous as Metallica's Some Kind of Monster (is this contentious? I have no idea).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 05:52 AM   #838
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I prefer Elvis films to any other music-related films, including Spinal Tap.

Spinal Tap was not as comically ridiculous as Metallica's Some Kind of Monster (is this contentious? I have no idea).

I was really disappointed by Spinal Tap, I didn't find it funny actually.
Old 08.16.2007, 05:57 AM   #839
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i think some of the songs on Dinosaur Jr's green mind album are unnecessarily long.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 06:09 AM   #840
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
For an unpopular music opinion amongst Dinosaur Jr fans, I prefer Without A Sound over Where You Been.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
394041 42 4344455292 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth