Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Any Johnny Dowd fans on here?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.14.2016, 06:27 PM   #1
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a huge fan, me. If you've heard of Dowd but not heard his music, don't be fooled by well meaning but empty-headed music writers who use inaccurate phrases like "Americana" and "Tom Waits" to describe his music. He sounds NOTHING like Waits, and any folk and country influences disappeared years ago. He is making extremely inventive and idiosyncratic ROCK music that musicians half or even one-third his age (he's in his late 60s) would envy. To me, his best album--and also his most recent--is That's Your Wife On The Back Of My Horse. No Regrets is fine as well. Of his earlier albums, I would start with The Pawnbroker's Wife. The Mekons, a band he has opened for a number of times, are huge fans. Jon and Sally guest on a song of Johnny's called "Drunk" (one of his very last country-tinged songs) on Johnny's Cruel Words album.

Dowd's website is www.johnnydowd.com

For those who are already fans and aren't aware, Johnny is doing a crowd funding campaign to support his upcoming album, Execute American Folklore (I love the double meaning): https://igg.me/at/johnnydowd The
campaign has just over a week to go. I pledged at the $100.00 level to receive as premiums Execute American Folklore, 2 live CDs of Neon Baptist (Johnny's first band), and a Zolar Moving Company t-shirt (the company Johnny co-owns for a day job). But Johnny will appreciate any pledge, even if you're short on cash and can only afford something below the premium levels.

I would appreciate hearing from any Dowd fans on here re: your favorite JD tunes, gigs you've seen, etc. And to all of you cynics: I'm neither related to Johnny nor do I have any financial interest in any success he may have. I'm just a fan.

So, no answer yet to the question posed in my thread title. Here's a track from the forthcoming album.
It may not be the ultimate Johnny Dowd song but it's pretty damn good:

http://www.johnnydowd.com/news/
Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.18.2016, 03:45 PM   #2
Drjohnrock
children of satan

Drjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's assesDrjohnrock kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
I'm a huge fan, me. If you've heard of Dowd but not heard his music, don't be fooled by well meaning but empty-headed music writers who use inaccurate phrases like "Americana" and "Tom Waits" to describe his music. He sounds NOTHING like Waits, and any folk and country influences disappeared years ago. He is making extremely inventive and idiosyncratic ROCK music that musicians half or even one-third his age (he's in his late 60s) would envy. To me, his best album--and also his most recent--is That's Your Wife On The Back Of My Horse. No Regrets is fine as well. Of his earlier albums, I would start with The Pawnbroker's Wife. The Mekons, a band he has opened for a number of times, are huge fans. Jon and Sally guest on a song of Johnny's called "Drunk" (one of his very last country-tinged songs) on Johnny's Cruel Words album.

Dowd's website is www.johnnydowd.com

For those who are already fans and aren't aware, Johnny is doing a crowd funding campaign to support his upcoming album, Execute American Folklore (I love the double meaning): https://igg.me/at/johnnydowd The
campaign has just over a week to go. I pledged at the $100.00 level to receive as premiums Execute American Folklore, 2 live CDs of Neon Baptist (Johnny's first band), and a Zolar Moving Company t-shirt (the company Johnny co-owns for a day job). But Johnny will appreciate any pledge, even if you're short on cash and can only afford something below the premium levels.

I would appreciate hearing from any Dowd fans on here re: your favorite JD tunes, gigs you've seen, etc. And to all of you cynics: I'm neither related to Johnny nor do I have any financial interest in any success he may have. I'm just a fan.

So, no answer yet to the question posed in my thread title. Here's a track from the forthcoming album.
It may not be the ultimate Johnny Dowd song but it's pretty damn good:

So, no answer yet to the question posed in my thread title. Here's a track from the forthcoming album. It may not be the ultimate Johnny Dowd song but it's pretty damned good:

Drjohnrock is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth