Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon: Going Solo After Sonic Youth, and Why She Identifies With Girls
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.01.2014, 12:06 AM   #21
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.damemagazine.com/2014/04/...sons-i-learned
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2014, 02:31 AM   #22
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
I don't read every interview, but is Kim the only one who consistently refers to Sonic Youth as "over"?
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2014, 01:43 PM   #23
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
I don't read every interview, but is Kim the only one who consistently refers to Sonic Youth as "over"?

I think she might be the only one they every really ask that question to point blank, I haven't really seen Lee or Thurston address that question directly..

I think certain biological realities of age have caught up with the band, and while they're ALL making and performing music elsewhere I think they've each looked back on thirty years and said, "Maybe it was enough?"

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2014, 02:21 PM   #24
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

I read every interview and YES.

Lee will not be definitive, deflecting the topic by discussing the back catalog of recordings live and in studio.

No one seems to ever interview Steve.

and Thurston avoids the topic like the plague.
Old 05.01.2014, 02:23 PM   #25
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I wonder why.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2014, 03:54 AM   #26
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I read every interview and YES.

Lee will not be definitive, deflecting the topic by discussing the back catalog of recordings live and in studio.

No one seems to ever interview Steve.

and Thurston avoids the topic like the plague.

Thurston has said everything he needs to say, which is by far more than he should be expected to say. I mean, what more is there to say? He made a common mistake most adults find themselves dealing with at some point. I think he's handled it rather well from what I can gather. I find it confusing (as well as amusing) that some fans feel as if they are owed more than what they've been given. You'd think 30 years of music and touring would be enough, but no! They need the inside scoop on situations they themselves have likely been involved in, and certainly many of their parents. PEOPLE CHEAT! Is it ok, no. But they do. People also steal and fart in public spaces. Sex is human nature. Human nature offers both good and bad sides. Or sides that offer more in the way of learning experiences, as I tend to prefer to view it. Moping and years of regret gets no one anywhere.

And as should be obvious, the members of SY were rather bored with the band for some time. I'm more interested in watching how their individual projects evolve than I am witnessing another "Rather Ripped" or "Eternal" (which in all fairness wasn't awful...but all things considered wasn't one of their strongest efforts by a long shot). I only feel bad for younger people and those who were never given the chance to see them. They always put on an amazing show.

I'm hard pressed to believe that there will never be another show, however. Even though I hardly care. They were a hard working band for a long time. Kim and Thurston's relationship lasted far longer than most. I'm sure they are both enjoying themselves now in ways neither have been able to in a long time. If not, they should be.

And no doubt there will be future releases. Too much unreleased recorded material for there to not be.
Old 05.02.2014, 05:35 AM   #27
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Thurston has said everything he needs to say, which is by far more than he should be expected to say. I mean, what more is there to say? He made a common mistake most adults find themselves dealing with at some point. I think he's handled it rather well from what I can gather. I find it confusing (as well as amusing) that some fans feel as if they are owed more than what they've been given. You'd think 30 years of music and touring would be enough, but no! They need the inside scoop on situations they themselves have likely been involved in, and certainly many of their parents. PEOPLE CHEAT! Is it ok, no. But they do. People also steal and fart in public spaces. Sex is human nature. Human nature offers both good and bad sides. Or sides that offer more in the way of learning experiences, as I tend to prefer to view it. Moping and years of regret gets no one anywhere.

And as should be obvious, the members of SY were rather bored with the band for some time. I'm more interested in watching how their individual projects evolve than I am witnessing another "Rather Ripped" or "Eternal" (which in all fairness wasn't awful...but all things considered wasn't one of their strongest efforts by a long shot). I only feel bad for younger people and those who were never given the chance to see them. They always put on an amazing show.

I'm hard pressed to believe that there will never be another show, however. Even though I hardly care. They were a hard working band for a long time. Kim and Thurston's relationship lasted far longer than most. I'm sure they are both enjoying themselves now in ways neither have been able to in a long time. If not, they should be.

And no doubt there will be future releases. Too much unreleased recorded material for there to not be.

Very well said, there.
Old 05.02.2014, 08:35 AM   #28
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Thurston has said everything he needs to say, which is by far more than he should be expected to say. I mean, what more is there to say? r to view it. Moping and years of regret gets no one anywhere.

Swa(y), I was referring to whether Sonic Youth is broken up or will work again in the future, not about what caused T & K's breakup.
Old 05.02.2014, 08:36 AM   #29
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

the indie girls can't stop grabbing Thurston's thighslapper
Old 05.04.2014, 12:18 AM   #30
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I am the one who have had twice chance to see them, but never saw them. The first time their gig was 600km away from me & I havenīt got enough money. Second time there was family reasons. But if I had known 2003 was last time in Finland, I would have really tried to see them even it would be difficult.

One fact is no-one of them canīt make as great material alone as they made together in SY. Well, if they will make one tour and come to Finland (or at least in Sweden) I will be satisfied. But if they wonīt ever reunite, I just have to be satisfied. I really have enjoyed their solos althought theyīre not as great as any SY record.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.04.2014, 03:29 AM   #31
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I am the one who have had twice chance to see them, but never saw them. The first time their gig was 600km away from me & I havenīt got enough money. Second time there was family reasons. But if I had known 2003 was last time in Finland, I would have really tried to see them even it would be difficult.

One fact is no-one of them canīt make as great material alone as they made together in SY. Well, if they will make one tour and come to Finland (or at least in Sweden) I will be satisfied. But if they wonīt ever reunite, I just have to be satisfied. I really have enjoyed their solos althought theyīre not as great as any SY record.

I saw them four times, and not once was I disappointed. And again, I would by no means be shocked if they played again at some point. We shall see. Since the break up, I've seen Lee once, Thurston when he was touring the Demolished Thoughts material, and Kim once w/ White/Light. All three shows were great. Catch 'em if ya can, friend.
Old 05.04.2014, 05:38 AM   #32
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I saw them four times, and not once was I disappointed. And again, I would by no means be shocked if they played again at some point. We shall see. Since the break up, I've seen Lee once, Thurston when he was touring the Demolished Thoughts material, and Kim once w/ White/Light. All three shows were great. Catch 'em if ya can, friend.
Iīve seen Kim & Ikue, CLM & Lee & Dust very recently. Kim & Ikue and Lee with Dust were just fantastic! (Only SY member I havenīt seen on stage is Steve, because he was ill in scandinavian tour) There were moments that sounded me SY! In CLM gig all the other than Thurston seemed to be bored. Also sounds were awful. But still, I would like to see SY at least once...
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2014, 02:55 PM   #33
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
(i also like lena dunham the writer-- but that's a different story)

Wow, they're really going after her for her new book. Personally. I think childhood sexuality should remain in childhood, I would imagine her sister is not pleased with all this revealed. Kids do a lot of things that are best left in childhood. They're children.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2014, 04:41 PM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

childhood things when seen through the eyes of jaded adults can seem HORRIBLE, but it is because we add all the terrible baggage and horror we have onto it.

Lena Dunham likes to pretend she is some sort of idiot savant but she knows exactly what she is doing.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth