Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Makes me sad...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.21.2006, 11:01 AM   #1
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
I really hate saying it, I've been fighting it off for some time, but I feel must say that if Sonic Youth are going to progress on their current trajectory, they should break up. They are by all means my favorite band still around today, but out of their last four albums, including RR, the only one that's had me excited at all when I listened to it for the first time (or on subsequent listens) is "Sonic Nurse". On that album there were again interesting textures, STRONG, not-phoned-in jams, dark-and-felt melodies ("I Love You Golden Blue", which I ADORE), and some actually rockin' tunes. NYCGF had it's free-jazz moments which were nice, reminded me of good Coltrane or Ra; Murray Street had the epic and beautiful "Sympathy...", and Rather Ripped has a few three-star jams...but in general, these three albums are pretty ridiculous coming from Sonic Youth. Am I saying they have to constantly be noisy? No, not at all. Am I saying they can't change? Nope. Three of my favorite SY albums are DDN, Washing Machine, and Bad Moon Rising, which all sound absolutely nothing alike. What I'm getting at is that they're getting too, um, safe. I can understand the desire to write good pop tunes, but the thing is, they already did that! "Unwind", "Teenage Riot", "100%", "Sunday", etc...all great pop songs. But they're so incredibly ADVENTUROUS at the same time. And I guess that's what I'm missing. Yes, I own the SYRs, and I listen to them and enjoy them. But they didn't used to have to syphon all their interesting and experimental stuff into side-releases. The only thing that, for me personally, is interesting on "Ripped" is "Or", but it's completely marred by Thurston's ridiculous in-the-tour-bus scribblings. I'm sure this is offensive, and it hurts me more to say it than it could possibly hurt anyone to read it. I guess, for me, it's just that I didn't get into SY because they wrote good songs. I got into them because they scared the hell out of me with their ideas of what songs could be, what "pretty" could be, what "rockin'" could be, what "sad" could sound like. I don't need a standard indie rock album from them. And even Sonic Nurse is dangerously close to that for me (with the exception of "Golden..."). The only reason I have Ripped is because I got it for free with my ticket to their CB's show at the beginning of the tour (which was a complete let down, by the way. I didn't want to hear the "hits" of yesteryear (Schiz, or Teenage Riot, etc.), but I did want to be given something more than a set that consisted entirely of their new album (which I don't like) in order). In the end, I just worry that they've gotten complacent. At least NYCGF wasn't very good because it was an experiment that didn't quite work out. I'd take that over an album of safe, MOR rock songs any day.

T
Lipslikewindows is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 11:06 AM   #2
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
That's it - get it off your chest.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 11:06 AM   #3
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I was thinking this earlier when going through all my Murray Street-era stuff. That was the last time they were pretty tight and adventurous, able to shift from all different kinds of shit.

Not to say I haven't loved RR or Nurse- I'd give them 5 stars anyday, but they are fading out a little.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 11:07 AM   #4
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Teenage mid-life crisis anyone?

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 11:16 AM   #5
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
Implying I'm a teenager? I'm not. I got into SY when I was 10 (1992) when I heard "100%". So...I'm 24. Maybe not as old as someone who was seeing them at the Mudd Club or Danceteria in 1984, but not a teenager. And besides, my favorite albums of theirs are the 5 they put out in the 80s (not counting s/t as an album) plus Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves. I would imagine most people on this board who are teenagers right NOW got into SY after reading about Murray Street at Pitchfork, or maybe Spin or even Rolling Stone. I remember it driving me crazy when all those glowing reviews came out...
Old 07.21.2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipslikewindows
I would imagine most people on this board who are teenagers right NOW got into SY after reading about Murray Street at Pitchfork, or maybe Spin or even Rolling Stone. I remember it driving me crazy when all those glowing reviews came out...

No, not really. No musical magazine or source got me into SY at all. I checked them out for myself, like everything else I love.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 12:30 PM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I can see where you are coming from, but to me it is all about phases with sonic youth.
no wave (sonic youth, confusion and to a large extent BMR)
noise rock (evol, sister, daydream antion, goo, dirty)
free form experimentation (EJST&NS, SYR's, NYC ghost)
and now we are in a phase where sonic youth are exploring their melodies (wahsing, murray, nurse, ripped)

sonic youth ahs always been about the confluence of noise and beauty. they always had and have both working, sometimes noise to a greater degree (BMR, confusion), sometimes melody to a greater degree (EJST&NS, Murray, Nurse) and I feel rather ripped is their most melodic album to date. if any single indie rock band had released RR other than sonic youth the indie underground would be salivating over it's tasty sounds and melodies and hooks, YES HOOKS, sonic youth can write HOOKS!

daydream nation is the masterpiece it is because it amalgamated everything sonic youth love to do, melodies, noise, experimentation, into one complete package.

thank goodness sonic youth does not repeat themselves.

I just do not see how people can complain they are softening up when their SYR series takes expereimental rock to heights (or lows, depending on how you like them) that noone ever has done before.

and on ripped and nurse and murray they are exploring actual songcraft. most of the murray songs were written by thurston on a n acoustic guitar. that is sonic youth experimenting. enjopy it for what it is, rather ripped is afantastic rocking melodic album, and yes, it is packed to the brim with TASTEFULLY DONE NOISE, dig? the noise serves the melody in this al bum's case.

in bad moon rising the melody served the noise splendor.

I am not saying people do not have a right to dislike output buy this, the single greatest band in the history of music, but to lay such vehement ill sentiment upon these, my gods of rock, gods of skronk, it hurts me a lot. I don;t know. it really does. it is like a patriot gets when someone puts down their motherland.

I think rather ripped is actually more subversive to mainstream rock than most of what they ahve done in the past. it shows that you can use sonic skronk and sonic tunings to create BEAUTY, straight up BEAUTY, and I love it

I have listened to RR every day for weeks now. I find skronk hidden in there, nuggets of sonic skronk to tease my ears and please my brain.

long live sonic youth
Old 07.21.2006, 12:49 PM   #8
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

I guess I would say the converse...that if it were an album by anyone else no one would much care for it, not that they'd be salivating. I know if it had been by anyone else I probably wouldn't have even taken the free copy. I totally agree that there are different phases of SY and that's what I love. I wouldn't want them to just do a second version of Evol anymore either. But I guess, to me, it seems like they're not exploring their songcraft, they're just sounding more and more like tons of other bands. That's what this phase seems more like to me: the "let's see what it's like to be a generic indie band" phase. "Sleepin' Around"? Come on. Weak. "Jams Run Free"? Nice, but sounds pretty much just like something off of Wowee Zowee minus the kookiness. Like I said, if it hurts to hear this stuff about your fave band, it hurts me to say it about mine too. "A Thousand Leaves" was absolutely GORGEOUS, but was still really really interesting, and completely unique. It really captured a feeling for me, whereas Ripped just kinda captures SY sounding generic. That's a phase that doesn't interest me (from any band, let alone SY).
Old 07.21.2006, 12:59 PM   #9
badgercorn
bad moon rising

badgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's asses
When they did NYC Ghosts and Flowers (which I didn't get into at the time, admittedly) I kind of fell out of love with them, I thought they would never make another great record. Then they did Murray Street, THEN they did Sonic Nurse which I adored. So it does go in circles. I didn't like RR as much either (although I do like it a lot) and maybe they will run out of steam now, but I hope not. You never know..
badgercorn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 01:04 PM   #10
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Implying I'm a teenager? I'm not. I got into SY when I was 10 (1992) when I heard "100%". So...I'm 24. Maybe not as old as someone who was seeing them at the Mudd Club or Danceteria in 1984, but not a teenager. And besides, my favorite albums of theirs are the 5 they put out in the 80s (not counting s/t as an album) plus Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves. I would imagine most people on this board who are teenagers right NOW got into SY after reading about Murray Street at Pitchfork, or maybe Spin or even Rolling Stone. I remember it driving me crazy when all those glowing reviews came out...

Not for me. I learned about them from watching this cartoon.
http://www.paperrad.org/animations/graffiti.html . Watch the whole thing, it's pretty good.
Old 07.21.2006, 01:29 PM   #11
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
Not for me. I learned about them from watching this cartoon.
http://www.paperrad.org/animations/graffiti.html . Watch the whole thing, it's pretty good.

woah what the hell was all that about????
its pretty kool, but strange very strange!
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 01:46 PM   #12
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I really hate saying it, I've been fighting it off for some time, but I feel must say that if Sonic Youth are going to progress on their current trajectory, they should break up. They are by all means my favorite band still around today, but out of their last four albums, including RR, the only one that's had me excited at all when I listened to it for the first time (or on subsequent listens) is "Sonic Nurse". On that album there were again interesting textures, STRONG, not-phoned-in jams, dark-and-felt melodies ("I Love You Golden Blue", which I ADORE), and some actually rockin' tunes. NYCGF had it's free-jazz moments which were nice, reminded me of good Coltrane or Ra; Murray Street had the epic and beautiful "Sympathy...", and Rather Ripped has a few three-star jams...but in general, these three albums are pretty ridiculous coming from Sonic Youth. Am I saying they have to constantly be noisy? No, not at all. Am I saying they can't change? Nope. Three of my favorite SY albums are DDN, Washing Machine, and Bad Moon Rising, which all sound absolutely nothing alike. What I'm getting at is that they're getting too, um, safe. I can understand the desire to write good pop tunes, but the thing is, they already did that! "Unwind", "Teenage Riot", "100%", "Sunday", etc...all great pop songs. But they're so incredibly ADVENTUROUS at the same time. And I guess that's what I'm missing. Yes, I own the SYRs, and I listen to them and enjoy them. But they didn't used to have to syphon all their interesting and experimental stuff into side-releases. The only thing that, for me personally, is interesting on "Ripped" is "Or", but it's completely marred by Thurston's ridiculous in-the-tour-bus scribblings. I'm sure this is offensive, and it hurts me more to say it than it could possibly hurt anyone to read it. I guess, for me, it's just that I didn't get into SY because they wrote good songs. I got into them because they scared the hell out of me with their ideas of what songs could be, what "pretty" could be, what "rockin'" could be, what "sad" could sound like. I don't need a standard indie rock album from them. And even Sonic Nurse is dangerously close to that for me (with the exception of "Golden..."). The only reason I have Ripped is because I got it for free with my ticket to their CB's show at the beginning of the tour (which was a complete let down, by the way. I didn't want to hear the "hits" of yesteryear (Schiz, or Teenage Riot, etc.), but I did want to be given something more than a set that consisted entirely of their new album (which I don't like) in order). In the end, I just worry that they've gotten complacent. At least NYCGF wasn't very good because it was an experiment that didn't quite work out. I'd take that over an album of safe, MOR rock songs any day.

T

I agree with everything you say.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 02:04 PM   #13
mooger_fooger
bad moon rising

mooger_fooger ain't too shabbymooger_fooger ain't too shabby
badger sums it up, it's the great modulating wave of Sonicness..sometimes it's crazy..sometimes it's a little more level...but like the modulation of an MXR blue box...it's just kinda random...but good
mooger_fooger is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 02:13 PM   #14
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Yeah, the problem is that they haven't put out a great album since 1998. By great, I'm including adventurous as a key characteristic. This is a loooooooong wave we're on here.
Old 07.21.2006, 02:55 PM   #15
lizzarddd
bad moon rising

lizzarddd has tongues queuing up for a rim-festlizzarddd has tongues queuing up for a rim-festlizzarddd has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
If they broke up, I think i'd cry.
lizzarddd is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2006, 03:11 PM   #16
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Liz, do you really like their recent stuff? In that case, it makes sense that you would be really upset. For me it would be like ending something formally that, in spirit, ended 8 years ago.
Old 07.21.2006, 03:48 PM   #17
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I would imagine most people on this board who are teenagers right NOW got into SY after reading about Murray Street at Pitchfork, or maybe Spin or even Rolling Stone. I remember it driving me crazy when all those glowing reviews came out...

I'm a teenager but I've been into SY for ages and I actually dislike the new stuff. You will find your guesstimation is quite the contrary of most of our users. In fact, it is mostly teenagers saying how boring RR is. The older board members(Rob, Diaper, etc.) are the ones defending it in barely legible sentences.
Old 07.21.2006, 03:59 PM   #18
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Yeah, that is super weird. I'm pretty young I suppose for an SY fan (I really have no idea what the average age is, but given how long they've been around) but to me it's all about their 80s material and WM and 1000L. Not a huge fan of Goo or Dirty, though Dirty has some great stuff (JC is one of my faves of theirs, probably top 10). What's your all time favorite two albums of theirs, Hayden?

I think the main thing that irks me is people just defending it because of its hooks or it's catchiness. Most decent pop has both of those things in sundry amounts. Who gives a shit?
Old 07.21.2006, 04:02 PM   #19
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah, that is super weird. I'm pretty young I suppose for an SY fan (I really have no idea what the average age is, but given how long they've been around) but to me it's all about their 80s material and WM and 1000L. Not a huge fan of Goo or Dirty, though Dirty has some great stuff (JC is one of my faves of theirs, probably top 10). What's your all time favorite two albums of theirs, Hayden?

I think the main thing that irks me is people just defending it because of its hooks or it's catchiness. Most decent pop has both of those things in sundry amounts. Who gives a shit?

My favorites are as follows:
CIS/KYI
BMR
Daydream Nation
Murray Street
Sister
EVOL
1000 Leaves
Old 07.21.2006, 04:04 PM   #20
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

With the exception of Murray Street's presence and Washing Machine's absence, nice.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth